• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I had a ammo classified ad up and a buyer emailed me through TGT. He is a member, however I see he joined the day after my ad went up. He sent me an offer, I thought it sounded good, I asked that he send me a USPS money order and a copy of ID to show his age. I get a response back that he is currently overseas and he can send a cashiers check from his bank.

Now, I'm not going to call him out here, as he may really be legit, however I had to pass on the deal as there seemed to be a few red flags for me.

It's a shame that we have to be so cautious these days, but I suppose we do and that's that.

I just thought I would mention this in case anyone else gets a similar type offer from him or anyone else.

Thanks
    Capitol Armory ad

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    There's the same problem on TGT with those guys "selling rifles" I have e-mailed about an add for a Barrett m99 and a Barret M82, both of which turned out to be phony. The guy sent me an e-mail back saying that he was in the U.K. and he had the rifle with him. Really? That's the red flag, a non-U.K. citizen with a .50 in London? That would never be allowed. I figured i'd test him a little bit and told him that I was also in London on business for the week and was located in a hotel just off of Piccadilly Circus and would like to see him and the .50 in person. He has yet to respond.

It is sad though. I thought these would have been more private websites than craigslist and would be safe from fraud scrutiny, apparently not.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Why would you worry about his age or a cashiers check? To where did he want you to ship?

As far as I knew you had to be 21 to purchase handgun ammo. If I'm wrong let me know, I really wasn't sure.

And I will only do a USPS money order because I can cash it as soon as I get it, if it was a fake then at least I know right then and there. And with all the fake checks, cashiers included, going around these days, I didn't want to take a chance on depositing it and finding out after I shipped.

He wanted it shipped to Arlington, at least that was the zip he gave for me for a shipping quote.

Again, he may have been legit, however just too many things going on for me.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    As far as I knew you had to be 21 to purchase handgun ammo. If I'm wrong let me know, I really wasn't sure.
    This applies only if you are licensed dealer.

All you have to do is add the following "small print" to your sales ads: If you pay by United States postal money order, your stuff will ship immediately. All else will wait for the instrument to clear.. . and issue solved.

It sucks we have to have such long-winded "small print" in our sales ads, but there are some unusual¹ folks out there. . .

[1] I use the term "unusual" instead of the less politically correct (but more apt) "fu**ing out of their mind"

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    This applies only if you are licensed dealer.

All you have to do is add the following "small print" to your sales ads: If you pay by United States postal money order, your stuff will ship immediately. All else will wait for the instrument to clear.. . and issue solved.

It sucks we have to have such long-winded "small print" in our sales ads, but there are some unusual¹ folks out there. . .

[1] I use the term "unusual" instead of the less politically correct (but more apt) "fu**ing out of their mind"

Your right, I assumed, and we all know what happens when one assumes... or in this case what happens to me..

And I wasn't aware of the age restriction was any different for private sale. Thanks.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    While I would not turn down a cashiers check, I would tell the buyer there was a ten day hold on shipping with it. I would then cash the check at the bank from where the check was drawn, if possible.

As an aside, I would NEVER send anyone a copy of my ID.

Top Bottom