• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Was reading the Facebook comments on a post by Ft. Worth Star Telegram (horrible rag BTW) about dropping the LTC fees.

Anyhow, one commenter said something about training being inadequate, and he had seen an open carrier shaking someone's hand, leaving his sidearm completely vulnerable to someone taking it and using it against him.

Valid or Paranoid?

I see his point, but I'm not sure I'm willing to go all gung-ho Putin/KGB strut, OC or CC. Or maybe wild wild west draw-ready.

8182f546686c3c589e7708672eb5f7d6.gif

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    Target Sports

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Want to take my holstered gun? Want to try? Go on then try... seriously.. no takers? And why not? Because in the time it takes for you to try to snatch my gun, then try to figure out the retention, then actually get the gun away from me I am going to kill you with another weapon. That's the implied threat anyway. There are easier ways for a hood rat to get a gun than an obviously armed person. Even one who is shaking someone else's hand. That brings up another point. Who's hand is he shaking? Someone with a CCW? A cop? Maybe that person will kill me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Want to take my holstered gun? Want to try? Go on then try... seriously.. no takers? And why not? Because in the time it takes for you to try to snatch my gun, then try to figure out the retention, then actually get the gun away from me I am going to kill you with another weapon.
    I'll take that challenge. And your Bravado assumes that the carrier had any retention. There were two publicly reports instances in the first year of Texas open carry of people being disarmed from the holster.

That's the implied threat anyway. There are easier ways for a hood rat to get a gun than an obviously armed person. Even one who is shaking someone else's hand. That brings up another point. Who's hand is he shaking? Someone with a CCW? A cop? Maybe that person will kill me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed for the most part

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I'll take that challenge. And your Bravado assumes that the carrier had any retention. There were two publicly reports instances in the first year of Texas open carry of people being disarmed from the holster.

Agreed for the most part

Got Links? I only know of one instance in Denison and he was technically carrying concealed.

Sounds like the writer of the original article has been reading too many Tom Clancy novels.

But retention is a definite must for OC (not legally, but practically).

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I vote paranoid.
    Given the apparent lack of occurences nation wide, it seems to be a non-issue. Well,,,other than in an anti-gun fantasy anyway. For that matter, there are cops killed with their own gun after it was taken away as well. If a situation is to that point, you are in deep shit anyway.

from an idgit coffeeholic

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    that's more or less my thoughts as well, but being a new LTC'r, and generally laid back, I wanted to double check with the village elders.

and yes, the implies threat has to be good for something. unless the gun thief is some little asian dude from one that chris tucker/jackie chan movie. or one of those bearded youtube tactical magicians

Sent from my SIG Sauer

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    texasinvestigator,

I don't think Mikewood was making assumptions about some other "carrier," he was referring only to himself and his situation, and HE's the one that has retention.

But you're right: We don't know if other carriers (OCers) do or not have retention hoslters -- they SHOULD though! I would think that all OCers DO consider the possibility of a gun-grab (during a hand-shake or not) -- so they DO have a retention holster. If they don't, IMO that's tempting fate! ;-)

I also have retention, and it's ESPECIALLY important since I exclusively OC every time I go out...and my response to a gun-grab attempt on me would the the same as Mikewood's: A lethal-force response.

As for shaking hands with my gun hand, YES, that "concern" has crossed my mind...but I've not addressed it.

-- BR

Last edited:

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    How many of you guys go around shaking people's hands to begin with. Add to that shaking the hand of a complete stranger in an uncontrolled area? If you're paranoid enough to think folks are out to grab your gun why are you letting them get within grabbing distance and then volunteering your hand to them?? Does not compute.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I know the last time I picked up a newspaper was when the Rocky Mountain News got absorbed by the Denver Post, but I don't remember the last time I shook hands with anybody.

cb51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    If you're worried that someone will take your gun while open carrying, don't even worry about the ones in front of you shaking your hand. If I was going to take down an open carry for the gun, I'd just come up behind and use a jack handle/rock in a sock/steel pipe just under the ear and take it from them while they are in lala land on the ground. Or just shoot them and take it.

Carrying a gun does not make you invincible even if some think it does. There's always sone mean enough and sneaky enough take you down if you get too over confident. And I see a lot of very over confident people carrying guns. Open carry if you wish, I prefer not to advertise what I have on me.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    if your that worried you should not carry or you should not shake hands.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    My open carry is not loaded for this reason... If someone is stupid enough to grab the decoy, then I'll shoot them with my concealed carry.

Top Bottom