• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Posted this on my facebook, but wanted to share it here too.....

Shooting is an awesome social thing. October 20th 2008, I had the opportunity to shoot my first round through 50cal rifle(COBB). A while back I had the opportunity to purchase my own AR50a1....I'm not a sniper or precision marksman compared to others, but I'm in love with firearms....the ear destroying sound from a struck primer igniting the 660g of propellant, sending a projectile down range for some fun....puts a smile on anyone's face.
    Today, I was able to pay it forward. Warning my boys(pictured) to get their hearing protection, because Daddy was gonna get loud with "the 50" which I've named BoomStick(for the Army of Darkness fans). A man walking by with his approx 12 year old son heard, telling him to watch....I invited them into the private bay and said they are more than welcome to take a shot each...or two....The look on the Dad's face instantly turned him back to his Toys R Us days and didn't even hesitate to come over. For his comfort and safety, asked him to shoot first before allowing his son, just so he'd personally feel comfortable knowing whether his son could handle the rifle. ***BOOOOOOM*** ear to ear grin with an "oh my God...." He couldn't believe the ease of firing and lack of recoil....Took a second from the timid son, like many, relating the sound to the possible pain of "the kick." Reminding him that this isn't an everyday rifle seen or afforded the opportunity to fire, to go for it. He straddled the bench, loaded the round.....***BOOOOOM*** Round down range, he postures up and loved it. Put a smile on my face, I know that made his day. The timid boy was hooked. Like that nice guy in 2008 did for me, I gave father and son each their spent casings. Let them each fire another round, then commenced to our other firearms for shooting....

That kid will forever have a cool story, like I do, of his big shot. His Dad seemed like he couldn't thank me enough. Anyways, wanted to share it with the Bullet Hole Shooting Range, I love the facility, been shooting there literally all my life. Thanks Michele Hester, Carol, and the staff....I love the place.
    I recorded the kid shooting in case his dad wanted a vid.

...here's the two different times my girlfriend has shot.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382769559929.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1382769559929.jpg
      34.2 KB · Views: 270

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    This story really touched me..well done.. and yep, memories for all of them.. I like to share the old guns when i go to my range.. if i'm getting a "look at that antique" glance i'll offer (always excepted lol) to let them fire what ever it is.. but i've never had the chance to impact a father and his kids.. great story..

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    First of all, it's great to see you posting! You been gone so long I was gonna call the police, but since you're a cop...

That's an awesome story. I wonder how many of the worlds problems and differences people have could be resolved out on the shooting range? We should all take a liberal or two out to the range and let them get hooked.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Some people are awesome and you sir, are one of those people.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Nice story. That is almost expressly why I buy some of my guns, knowing that somebody else will get a kick out of shooting it. I've started to lean more and more toward novelty guns like my tiny .22 revolver or Mac11 just because of the joy it brings watching that big grin grow on someone elses face.

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Thought I'd go ahead and share this story.

I grew up out in the country. While not exactly poor, money was very very slim in our household.
    Add that to a father who wasn't a hunter or shooter(fact is he was sort of an anti-gunner), shooting(and ammo) was a low priority.
    Trouble is I LOVED hunting and especially shooting.
    All my school chums hunted. I was eaten up with hunting/shooting fever. Especially dove hunting.
    Alas, the only shooting iron I had was an ancient 12ga Iver Johnson single barrel shotgun my Grandfather "loaned" to me. This cannon had one of those 30" full choke barrels on it. Not exactly an ideal wingshooting gun but I managed to be somewhat proficient with it.
    Ammo supply was a constant problem as I always had to get it thru my father as I was under age and couldn't purchase it myself as well as having to be purchased "in town".
    He would roar and complain whenever I asked for another box of 12ga. shells. "Good God son I just brought you a box 2 weeks ago!" This during dove season. :-(
    Ammo came very dear.

One day, when I was about 14yrs old, I was over at a school friends place.
    His father was an avid hunter and shooter.
    The father and a number of his shooting buddies were out in the pasture doing some informal skeet shooting. Of course I just had to go watch.
    My friend and I watched quietly from behind as these men were shooting clay pigeons with all manner of fine shotguns. Remington 1100's, 870's, Over/Under's, SxS's etc. Guns I had only seen in magazines.
    As they finished a round they were placing their guns on the lowered tailgate of a pick-up truck.
    Needless to say I stood there drooling all over the guns. Of course I knew better than to touch anything so I just stood there and eyeballed.
    One of the men noticed me staring at the guns. He asked me if I'd like to handle a few. Oh boy,Would I!!!!! He handed me a few of them and let me shoulder and swing them. His 870 Wingmaster fit me like a glove. This was awesome.
    Then this same man asked me if I'd like to shoot some of his shotguns.
    I'd love to Mister but I don't have any ammo. He replied, "Oh that's no problem. Just shoot some of mine."
    This was awesome x 2.
    So I stepped out and fired a couple of shots at clay pigeons(hit both of them).
    I walked back to the truck, laid the gun down, and thanked the man for allowing me to shoot his fine shotgun.
    This guy then says, "Why are you stopping?" I replied that I didn't want to shoot away too much of his ammo as I could not pay for any.
    He then says(and I'll never forget it) "Kid, go back out there and shoot that gun. Here's FIVE BOXES of shells. We'll watch you."
    I was floored. I'd never had anything like this happen before.
    So I went back out and fired that shotgun like I owned it. It was glorious! I smoked those clay pigeons that day.
    The man(who's name I never knew and never saw again) laughed and complimented, while watching an unknown kid shooting and enjoying the ever living heck out of it.

That was over 40 years and I still send a prayer his way to this day.
    Fact is, the day I turned 18, the very first gun I purchased as an adult was a Remington 870!

Nowadays whenever there is occasion to allow a kid to shoot my guns, the kid gets to shoot. The ammo is on me.

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Moonpie;

Kid, go back out there and shoot that gun. Here's FIVE BOXES of shells. We'll watch you."

I was floored. I'd never had anything like this happen before.
    So I went back out and fired that shotgun like I owned it. It was glorious! I smoked those clay pigeons that day.

We have some decent writers on this site, but it's not often that we have what could be the back page of field and stream.. thank you for that story.. you know those old boys watched you with as just as much pleasure as you were having, and i'd bet money that the story was told more than once at deer camps, and in duck blinds..

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nice story.

I took my sone out to the range last weekend to shoot a P22 and he was timid at first but got to pull the first round and was just GRINS. He was an impressive little shooter and I plan on marching him up the caliber range as soon as he's ready. He's now suggested that we shoot every weekend....atta a boy!

It's a beautiful thang!

Top Bottom