• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    So, someone whose opinion I value put together a piece on the "Sheepdog" concept.

Many of you may be familiar with it, for those who aren't:
    LTC (RET) Dave Grossman popularized the term when describing one of the the roles that a Vietnam veteran described to him. Essentially, normal society consists of sheep. Then you have the wolves that prey on the sheep and the sheepdogs that protect the sheep.

For more details you can go here:
    On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs - Dave Grossman
    I'd also recommend watching this: YouTube - "The Sheepdog Concept" by Nutnfancy
    I know some don't like him, but I think he nails it in his usual long winded round about way.

Sheepdog is a term that has become much more common in firearms forums like this one and even more-so among the firearm community on youtube. Unfortunately, the term is being perverted by some in the community because some people refer to themselves as sheepdogs and those not familiar with the term see all of their "Tacticool" gear and listen to them brag about all ther cool stuff and come to equate the two.

This person was trying to explain this and make the point that sheepdog and mall ninja were not synonymous but he kind of lost his focus and missed the mark.

I figured I would give my opinion in a more illustrated format.

I my opinion, sheepdog is a state of mind. It is about being prepared and having the mindset that when a challenge arises, you step up and make a difference. In the firearm community, obvious examples are the police, military, etc. In my mind, a sheepdog can also be a civilian. An example would be someone who obtains their CHL, carries a weapon at all times, and has trained in the use of their firearm. If this type of sheepdog had been present during the recent shooting in Arizona, the outcome would have been different. Ideally IMO, half the crowd would have been sheepdogs, but I digress.

At this point, I think it is time for some illustrative examples.

This is not a sheepdog
    tacticool-300x240.jpg

Neither is this:
    tacticool.jpg

And neither is this:
    433Tacticool.jpg

However, if you are a LEO, you could be a sheepdog and look like this:
    155401871_c63a1c57ef.jpg

And if you are active duty, you could be a sheepdog and look like this:
    soldier-cp-w-5141713.jpg

However many people that look like the above two examples especially while walking around Walmart, are not sheepdogs so I understand that it can get confusing.

Let's continue.

The vast majority of sheepdogs may look like this:
    amd_feris_jones.jpg

Off-duty cop Feris Jones hailed as hero for foiling beauty salon shooting; NYPD IDs suspect
    Or this:
    edgar_vargas_003e.jpg

Off-Duty Officer Shoots Robbery Suspect at Norms | NBC Los Angeles

Sometimes you dont even know what they look like:
    Police: Homeowner Opens Fire, Shoots Burglar - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis
    Man pulls own gun on armed robbery suspects - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports
    Store Clerk Kills One Robbery Suspect and Injures Another | Charlotte News | Weather | Carolina Panthers | Bobcats | FOX Charlotte | NC News
    Police: Gun-carrying couple stops beating

And being a sheepdog isn't always about guns. Some other fine examples of sheepdogs:
    03life.1901.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/03/nyregion/03life.html

l5b58x-b78659797z.120100709133430000go4pblb7.2.jpg

Motorcyclist meets man who saved his life - Orange County Register

And some that don't need stories:
    05_fire_recruit.jpg

paramedic-career.jpg

article-1264080567610-07E024B6000005DC-824520_466x358.jpg

Hopefully that explains my opinion. I'd love your comments.
    Hurley's Gold

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    For LEOs on the board who are interested and in south Texas, Lt. Col. Dave Grossman will be doing a one day seminar in Jourdanton, Tx on October 26. the topic is "Bulletproof Mind".... I do believe he is the best speaker I have heard in my career.

The "sheepdog" concept is covered during this class.

PM me for details if interested.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I don't know about douchebag, but referring to the general population as sheep seems a little elitist to me. I understand the concept, but disagree with the analogy.

If you listen to him present it, it is not elitist nor is it a superiority thing. You really gotta hear it from the source. Without a doubt the general population as a whole are sheep. Not every individual, but the group as a whole.

Look who we have as a president. He led and they followed like good little sheep.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    I don't know about douchebag, but referring to the general population as sheep seems a little elitist to me. I understand the concept, but disagree with the analogy.

To quote the author:
    "I mean nothing negative by calling them sheep. To me it is like the pretty, blue robin's egg. Inside it is soft and gooey but someday it will grow into something wonderful. But the egg cannot survive without its hard blue shell. Police officers, soldiers, and other warriors are like that shell, and someday the civilization they protect will grow into something wonderful."

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Your correct. The concept of sheep, wolves and sheepdogs has been perverted to the point of absurdity. Even Sheep are not as sheepy as most people. A real healthy sheep can fight, or run. They work as herds to survive. Sure wolves take a few but the failure rate is very high. By the same token a sheepdog protects the herd not individuals. He may chase off a lone wolf. Most likley you will see a pack of wolves which can easilly overwhelm a single sheepdog.
    When we think of sheep we think little whit fluffy critter, they have teeth, claws and horns. When we think of wolves and sheepdogs the concept of a lone hero or villain comes to mind. It's all far to romanticized.

In the end I am not any of these things. I am a guy with a gun trying to protect myself and my family.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    As has been said, not all sheep are weak but I'm certainly thankful we have law enforcement personnel, military, etc. One only has to look at the third world countries that do not have the protections we have to appreciate the "sheepdogs".

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

In no way was I referring to Col Grossman with the term "douchebag". I was referring to people, possibly in a public safety profession, who onanistically use the term to describe themselves. Often these are the same people who refer to the general population (incorrectly excluding themselves) as "civilians".

Anyone who hasn't read Col Grossman's books, needs to. They're great. But the classification of people into the categories of sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves is incomplete. Most people are sheep, I agree, but some don't fit into any of these categories.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    In no way was I referring to Col Grossman with the term "douchebag". I was referring to people, possibly in a public safety profession, who onanistically use the term to describe themselves. Often these are the same people who refer to the general population (incorrectly excluding themselves) as "civilians".

Anyone who hasn't read Col Grossman's books, needs to. They're great. But the classification of people into the categories of sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves is incomplete. Most people are sheep, I agree, but some don't fit into any of these categories.
    I think the term is used loosly for those in certain professions that are expected to run in when everyone else is running out. There are always many sub catagories. But it is hard to cover all of them in a short story such as the one LTC Grossman uses. I am confident he, nor others who use the comparisons, are trying to insult or belittle anyone.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I kinda thought of a sheepdog as nothing more than an individual who is prepared to do the right thing and do it in all places. I personally agree with the idea of the minuteman and the role they played in the revolutionary war. If/when a time comes that we are all put into a position of defending our homes and communities much like they were (i.e. invasion or chaos via economic, financial, disasters, etc) I'd hope not only the sheepdogs, but the "sheep" would rise to the occasion.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I kinda thought of a sheepdog as nothing more than an individual who is prepared to do the right thing and do it in all places. I personally agree with the idea of the minuteman and the role they played in the revolutionary war. If/when a time comes that we are all put into a position of defending our homes and communities much like they were (i.e. invasion or chaos via economic, financial, disasters, etc) I'd hope not only the sheepdogs, but the "sheep" would rise to the occasion.
    I like his simplistic idea of violence as a deciding factor. Can you be violent? If the answer is no then you are a "sheep". If you can be violent you are either a wolf or a sheepdog. A wolf's actions are unjust. The sheepdog is just. It's as simple as that. Having a gun, badge or a main battle tank means you just got cool tools. It's your will and justice that make you a sheepdog. Not some shiny government trinket.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Failed attempt at logic? No, just pointing out what seems obvious. Check out his writings, of course they are fiction, but most of his beliefs were included. Do the research, if you are inclined.

As for me, I'm a man, not a sheepdog, wolf, or sheep. I'll protect my own family and neighbors. If someone else is foolish enough to blunder into situations totally unprepared, they have my sympathy, but I have no "duty" or "moral obligation" to help them. My duty is to my family and myself.

"Do-gooding is like treating hemophilia - the real cure is to let hemophiliacs bleed to death...before they breed more hemophiliacs." ...RAH

Top Bottom