• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    News: Sheriff begins taking away concealed weapons permits | permits, carona, concealed, county, department - OCRegister.com#

Sheriff begins taking away concealed weapons permits

Hundreds of letters have been sent out advising current permit holders of impending revocation.

BY NORBERTO SANTANA JR.
    The Orange County Register
    Comments 86| Recommend 140

The Sheriff's Department has begun the process of revoking hundreds of concealed weapon permits across Orange County.
    This week, department officials confirmed that 146 letters have been sent out advising current license holders that their permits to carry firearms in public – called CCWs – are being revoked. There are currently 1,024 permit holders.
    "The Department has determined that your identified risk does not meet the good cause threshold as required under the new CCW policy based upon the information you provided. As a result of this determination, the Department's present intention is to revoke your CCW license," reads the form letter sent out this month.
    The letter, sent out under the signature of Captain Dave Nighswonger, advises current holders that if they feel that additional information should be considered they have roughly one month to provide additional good cause information for the department to consider before the revocation becomes final.
    This week, county supervisors grilled Sheriff Sandra Hutchens during her 120-day update on the reorganization of the agency about the status of the concealed weapons review.
    Hutchens acknowledged to supervisors that she had indeed tightened requirements for the permits but highlighted the fact that no current license had yet been revoked.
    But it seems unlikely that those who are getting the letters won't be revoked.
    "Most of them are not coming back with the information we need," said Nighswonger. "A lot of them are arguing the second amendment (to the U.S. Constitution)," he said.
    Nighswonger said many of the current revocations listed their reason for having a concealed gun as "avid shooter."
    That no longer qualifies under Hutchen's new standards.
    Under state law, a Sheriff has discretion to issue concealed weapons permits. And under the administration of former Sheriff Mike Carona – whose federal corruption trial starts on Oct. 28 – guidelines for issuing concealed weapons permits were loosened.
    Records reviewed by the Orange County Register show that concealed weapon permits soared under Carona, from 38 in 1998 to 468 the next year. By 2006, it was up to 1,400, a four-fold increase.
    When Carona took over in 1998, Orange County ranked 34th in terms of the numbers of permits granted. By 2006, Orange County was ranked number nine.
    However, the Register also found numerous instances where campaign donors received the permits. A Register analysis of Carona campaign contributions from 1996 to the end of 2001 shows that at least 95 contributors – who gave at least $68,000 - got licenses.
    Indeed, the federal indictment against Carona details one specific instance where a wealthy contributor was granted a license under questionable circumstances.
    Hutchens has said that connection prompted her to review the policies and tighten the standards.
    Her revisions, and the revocation letters, have enraged gun activists who are pressing county supervisors to take action.
    "There's a lot of business owners and a lot of gun owners that have had CCWs that have never met Mike Carona or contributed," said Greg Block, a Huntington Beach-based firearms instructor and activist.
    He and many activists suggest a different standard: "If you are not a convicted felon, you should be able to get able to get a CCW in California," Block said.
    Gun Zone Deals

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Wow. That explains quite clearly why a single person should never have the power of issuing or revoking CHL's. If it were up to one person, what's reasonable and what's legal would constantly be a matter of the flavor of the moment, sort of like the ATF. Anything that isn't "shall issue" is an F'in joke. This is a great example of why most regulation is BS plain and simple as the bad guys could care less about it.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    California is great but I will not live there

I've always enjoyed trips to California especially for the MotoGP. With the current climate it makes it a pain to go.

We need to do our best to help those poor folks make change in CA instead of making the next change here. We are being pushed to change from outside interests so its in our interest to push back. Wake up CA and the other bad states before they put us to sleep.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    That's what happens when some anti-gun person ends up in an important office. It shouldn't matter what the reason is for wanting a conealed weapons license when you fill out the paperwork. As a matter of fact being an "Avid Sportsman" is a great reason to have a CCW.

I'm looking into getting a CCW permit myself, while I live in Idaho, I have a hard time trying to find the time to go to the class due to work and most of the classes have been falling on a weekend that I have drill.

I believe that if your a law abiding citizen, and you apply for a CCW permit it should be granted no questions asked. Apparently California needs you to write a book as to the reason you think you need a CCW.

Acesn8's

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    Granted Sheriff Corona was pretty loose with the CCW licenses ( i mean that in a good way)and was criticized by the media for it but that statement by Block is untrue as I have seen in the past
    it will become much more restricted much like LA unless of course yer a celebrity or movie star.
    2c.gif

Top Bottom