• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    For those of you guys that didn't go, you sure missed out! We had an awesome time.

I'm still trying to learn my camera so pardon the quality.

gettinglost.jpg

We began our venture getting lost. This is what happens when you combine no map, vague internet directions, and two people not paying attention.

outside.jpg

Alas, we arrive, only a few hours late... :o

food.jpg

We were greeted with some good BBQ at the door. There was pork tenderloin, deer sausage w/ jalapeno, chicken, and some sides. It was some good stuff.

food2.jpg

HK_Fiend commenced his assault on the pile o' BBQ.

chef.jpg

The man behind the grille. He's even lucky enough to live down the road from the range! Many thinks to his Texas culinary prowess.

inside.jpg

After our fill we head inside to the new range. As you can see it's a very rustic appeal, and definitely scores points on the Texas factor. The indoors section has an upstairs area for the many CHL classes that take place at Shiloh. For more info about their CHL program check here: http://shilohshooting.net/chl.html

Another thing I noticed is that there is alot of open room. If you came on a busy day you'd have couches to lounge on should you have to wait. That's a step above some of the other ranges I've been to, and definitely a nice touch.

Out on the range there is one thing that was pointed out to me, the lack of noise! There has been alot of attention to reducing the harmonic reverberation and muzzle note on the line. This makes it MUCH easier to focus on the target and your duties at hand. It really added to the enjoyment factor when you don't have a constant booming from other shooters on the line.

sigs.jpg

Nice display of Sig Sauer pistols.

stis.jpg

STI was on hand to show off their product line of 1911's, 2011's, and their many other offerings including a 9mm race gun, and an assortment of concealable weapons. The guys were very knowledgeable, and were very willing to show off their product. After seeing the variations in their line-up in person I can say they got something for everyone. I saw bushingless barrels, compensated models, 6" long slide models, mag wells of normal to even epic sizing, lightweight trussed triggers, slim grips, as well as different color schemes and rail options. The guns just felt quality in your hands.

racegun.jpg

Here's a picture of their 9mm race gun they had brought along. I noticed the gun had excellent balance even with all the accessories, and compensated in 9mm... man, that's gotta be butter smooth.

travissti.jpg

HK_Fiend tried out one of the STI models. It was really nice to be able to try out the different guns they offer.

chrismp5.jpg

Our NFA sponsor, Talon Arms (www.talonarms.com), brought along some toys to play with. You had the choice of a suppressed HK MP5 or a B&T MP9. A big thanks to Chris for bringing them out and letting everyone have a go at them.

alanmp5.jpg

I really enjoyed the MP5. Chris filled us in on a tactical posture with the MP5. It felt a bit odd at first, but once you get situated and on target it becomes less so. It's always good to pick up new tricks!

mp5.jpg

Chris's MP5 getting a break from the festivities.

Here's a video of the MP5 in action, notice how quiet the gun is indoors with the suppressor : http://www.texasguntalk.com/pics/shiloh/mp5.mov (Quicktime Req'd: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/ )

I met a bunch of new people. 308Nato was on hand as was Micro.Foosa.Cub and HTXRed. I also met the owners of the range, Steve and Jeff, whom were very nice to provide BBQ and play host. There were some other guys from Houston-Imports, and some regulars that I chatted with as well. Everyone was really laid back and cool.

It was WELL worth the drive, and those that couldn't make it sure missed out!

I'm planning to work with the Shiloh guys to setup some Texas Gun Talk gatherings in the future.
    Hurley's Gold

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    Jeff, not jay lol. It was a great time, and i am extremely tired. But i hope your goals for the forum shoot through the roof and i am always willing to lend a helping hand when its avail. You guys are great sports for driving 3 hours to attend the event and i cant wait to return the favor.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I'm not the greatest with remembering names, sorry about that.

Like I said, it was worth the drive.

Feel free to post a link to our review if you'd like.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The best part about the range IMO was the aforementioned sound deadening! That really made the experience very enjoyable. While I did not notice anyone shooting rifle caliber stuff while I was there, regardless there was much less of a "concussive" sound to the muzzle reports compared to other indoor ranges I've been to. Judging by what Steve mentioned, it sounds like you guys put a lot of effort into that, and I can say without a doubt it works incredibly effectively. :) Finally I was able to put my new Peltor Tac Sport electronic earpro to use. :D

Top Bottom