• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • futurerider103

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2017
    Missouri
    I am in talks of trading my pistol for a rifle. I live near Ft Worth and the other guy lives in Austin. I recently moved from Missouri and I'm under the assumption that when you can't ship a pistol directly to a person but you can a rifle the other guy seems to think that you can Direct ship a pistol person to person in Texas is this correct?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Guns International

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Why gamble on it either way? Meeting half way so you can inspect the offers is much safer.

If it isn't worth the drive then it isn't worth the trade.

Shipping to somebody you don't know has red flags all over it, especially them shipping something back.

futurerider103

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2017
    Missouri
    I did find this which if I interpret it correct says I can do person to person as long as I declare there is a firearm being shipped
    3953321c8ac6655e570efb58869780a6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I am in talks of trading my pistol for a rifle. I live near Ft Worth and the other guy lives in Austin. I recently moved from Missouri and I'm under the assumption that when you can't ship a pistol directly to a person but you can a rifle the other guy seems to think that you can Direct ship a pistol person to person in Texas is this correct?

You can ship firearms within the state without going through a FFL...

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

More good info here: https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/shipping-a-firearm-who-where-how-when-and-why.4306/

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    You can (by law) but you may not (want to).

Care to explain? I have had firearms shipped directly to my house on several occasions (I also have an 03 FFL) without any issues. If done correctly, there is little risk.

I cannot see any reason why someone would not want to. It's legal and anytime the government is left out of such a transaction, the better things are!

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Care to explain? I have had firearms shipped directly to my house on several occasions (I also have an 03 FFL) without any issues. If done correctly, there is little risk.

I cannot see any reason why someone would not want to. It's legal and anytime the government is left out of such a transaction, the better things are!
    It may be more about making the deal with an unknown person and sending firearms to each other than anything. Good way to get screwed.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Yes it is correct

Mike748

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 1, 2015
    DFW

As a seller you have a duty to make sure the buyer in a private transaction is legally allowed to own a gun. At a minimum you should check the buyer's DL to make sure they are a state resident. I prefer to only sell to CHL/LTC holders for an extra level of safety. Hopefully we agree on this.

So how do you do this in a shipping situation? How can you be sure the DL or LTC the buyer sends you is theirs? Yes the likelihood of a problem is slim, but there is a risk that may not be acceptable. This is where having references or feedback really helps.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    As a seller you have a duty to make sure the buyer in a private transaction is legally allowed to own a gun. At a minimum you should check the buyer's DL to make sure they are a state resident. I prefer to only sell to CHL/LTC holders for an extra level of safety. Hopefully we agree on this.

So how do you do this in a shipping situation? How can you be sure the DL or LTC the buyer sends you is theirs? Yes the likelihood of a problem is slim, but there is a risk that may not be acceptable. This is where having references or feedback really helps.
    What do you mean by "duty"? The law only states that you can't know they are prohibited.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure most people don't want to sell to a prohibited person but the law only states that they have to be a resident and of age. You don't have to know anything else about them.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

No such duty as there is no possible way for a private seller to verify someone is legally allowed to own gun. Not sure why you think checking the buyers DL tells you if s/he is legally allowed to own a gun?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    My understanding has always been that the seller is in violation if he KNOWS the person is not a Texas resident or some other fact that would not allow the buyer to buy a gun ................ and the seller is not "directed" by any statute, etc. too ask or determine the residency, etc. of the buyer.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I prefer to only sell to CHL/LTC holders for an extra level of safety. Hopefully we agree on this.

In NO way, shape or form. If you aren't known to me to be prohibited from owning a firearm and have a state-issued ID, then I'm going to sell it without wanting some special "club license". That's a form of elitism I can live without.

Top Bottom