Shipping firearms do you have to use a FFL

arordonez84

Aug 12, 2012
San Antonio
I came across this post on Texas gun trader the guy is asking 2500 for a bushmaster :) but states that he can mail it anywhere in Texas. Can I a non FFL holder send you a non FFL holder a gun?

Glockster69

TGT Addict
BANNED!!!
Jul 1, 2011
In-state between residents legally-able to own firearms, yes.

FFLs are required for interstate commerce of firearms.
I understand he asked about a rifle but handguns require intrastate shipping between FFLs also, correct?

wgsigs

Sep 18, 2009
DFW
I need some clarification because I am a little confused on a couple of points.

Long guns can be mailed directly intrastate without an FFL on either end. Right?

Handguns can not be mailed by a non-FFL even intrastate, but must be sent either UPS or Fed-Ex. Does it have to be shipped to an FFL since face-to-face transactions within a state between residents currently don't require an FFL? Of course, if an FFL is required on the receiving end, he has be one who is willing to accept a shipment from a non-FFL, but that is personal preference and not law.

Bithabus

!
TGT Supporter
Aug 17, 2010
Austin
Are you sure about that??? Please cite the law for me that says pistols can not be transferred inside the state without going through a FFL. My understanding is that is an urban myth.

I think we had a thread on here before the crash that covered this.

Here is what I found on the ATF Online site, it does not make any differentiation between handguns and long guns when using a common or contract carrier.
He is incorrect. There is another current thread with the correct info. This seems to be a common misconception.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...-nauseam-but-i-need-definite-sure-answer.html

Last edited:

Acera

TGT Addict
Jan 17, 2011
Republic of Texas
He is incorrect. There is another current thread with the correct info. This seems to be a common misconception.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...-nauseam-but-i-need-definite-sure-answer.html
Yeah, I know. My post was posted here before that other thread got to that point.

Top Bottom