• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texasislandboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    SA
    just looked on ATF's website looks as if you can ship a firearm to a person as long as it is in your name and a registered long gun... and they are legal to have a weapon.
    whats your take on this topic?
    Capitol Armory ad

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    There is no such "in your name" requirement in Texas (or any other free state).

There is no "registration" of guns in Texas (or any other free state).

You can ship any firearm (not just a long gun) to any other Texas resident (assuming you're a Texan) directly, provided you don't have any reason to suspect they would be unable to own it (same requirements as a FTF sale). You cannot mail handguns, but you can ship them UPS (FedEx will not allow you to enjoy your rights under the law, but UPS will).

Here's more, with links to the laws and shipper's policies:
    Shipping a gun - who, how, where, when and why

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Actually you can ship a gun "in care of" another person in another state if you are sending it there to use for hunting or participate in some sort of shooting competition. I'm not sure if there are any other reasons allowable for such a shipment.

The catch 22 here is finding "common carrier" to do this and be within their rules. You can't ship hand guns USPS, so you stuck with UPS and FedEx. Both, according to their rules require either the shipper or receiver be an FFL, and they will require premium overnight shipping. They enforce these rules even though ATBF doesn't require them.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Actually you can ship a gun "in care of" another person in another state if you are sending it there to use for hunting or participate in some sort of shooting competition. I'm not sure if there are any other reasons allowable for such a shipment.
    His question wasn't about shipping a firearm to himself, which is what you're describing. If the "in care of" person opens the package, s/he's committed at least one federal felony.
    The catch 22 here is finding "common carrier" to do this and be within their rules. You can't ship hand guns USPS, so you stuck with UPS and FedEx. Both, according to their rules require either the shipper or receiver be an FFL, and they will require premium overnight shipping. They enforce these rules even though ATBF doesn't require them.
    I'm sorry, but this is incorrect.

FedEx requires an FFL be involved on the receiving end of any shipment, but UPS does not.

Federal law requires an FFL be on the receving end for interstate shipments, but UPS will happily ship guns intrastate to anyone.

Read my link - it's explained and you can read it at UPS.com from there, as well.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    just looked on ATF's website looks as if you can ship a firearm to a person as long as it is in your name and a registered long gun... and they are legal to have a weapon.
    whats your take on this topic?

I don't understand the question. Can you tell us specifically what you want to do?

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.

You can never ship a handgun interstate w/o an FFL being involved regardless of the purpose.

You can ship long guns thru the USPS "in care of" for your use when you arrive i.e. hunting, competition, etc... Common carriers have their own rules.

USPS

11.3 Rifles and Shotguns
    Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e.

Top Bottom