• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    Looking for guidance/advise on shipping guns in state and out of state please. Real experience appreciated. I read about SMG which seems alot on both ends, and my local ffl will do it for a price. Concerned about it actually getting there safely and undamaged too. And please don't just link USPS regs site. Thanks. Any ideas where to get good boxes?
    Guns International

Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    I've never shipped in-State, but have shipped out of State.

Shipping requirements differ (or used to) between pistol (2 days max iirc) and rifle. I used UPS, never the USPS (mainly because I don't trust them and I've found most employees don't know their own rules).

I used whatever good quality cardboard box fit my item and made sure I had a legit FFL to include with the shipment and to provide to the shipper. Package it well so the barrel doesn't make a hole in the box (assume that no carrier will treat your box with respect and prepare for the worse case). I DID NOT label the box as firearms, but on a few occasions UPS required me to show that the firearm was unloaded before sealing it.

The item is then shipped to the FFL (get a signature for delivery) and they handle the background check legalities on their end to transfer the item.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Looking for guidance/advise on shipping guns in state and out of state please. Real experience appreciated. I read about SMG which seems alot on both ends, and my local ffl will do it for a price. Concerned about it actually getting there safely and undamaged too. And please don't just link USPS regs site. Thanks. Any ideas where to get good boxes?

USPS. I recycle Amazon boxes. Insure for full amount. For concealable firearms, an FFL can do it cheaper than you. But if you, UPS is about your only choice.

wakosama

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    OK. UPS worked once. Now UPS and FEDEX both stopped shipping guns and GUN PARTS. Their 'guidance' says they still will do FFL to FFL only. Local FFL is $35 to ship. So what are ya'll doing about parts now? Stocks and stuff?

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Buy a plastic rifle case tape it closed with packing tape. Place that in a shipping box theses are hard to find d sometimes I make my own. Tape the the crap out of that one. UPS is your friend. Shipped 20-30 long guns never a problem.

wakosama

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    That's what I have been doing already.

Now as noted UPS and FEDEX have publicly stated they will no longer ship and will instead destroy gun parts and other items considered supportive of the firearms industry. Notices were sent to Brownells, MidwayUSA, and others specifically prohibiting them from using UPS. So:

1. does anyone know how USPS handles RIFLES, since they won't do handguns for regular folks; and/or other gun parts?
    2. does anyone have used an FFL to FFL via UPS weapon shippeD recently to avoid the danger of destroyed items.

Since I will be selling some stuff and shooters I want to be as 'hopeful' as possible that they get to ya'll as expected.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I don't know about cities, but all our rural Post Offices know the rules and will ship long guns.
    Supposed to declare the firearm but NOT indicate that on the shipping carton.

Some out-of-state FFLs will not accept firearms from individuals so contact before shipping.

cwmoss

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    May 10, 2014
    Caldwell
    Unless reg's have changed in last year or so, Using USPS, individuals can ship long guns, rifles or shotguns, within Texas, without going thru a FFL. If shipping a handgun, it has to go FFL to FFL.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    That's what I have been doing already.

Now as noted UPS and FEDEX have publicly stated they will no longer ship and will instead destroy gun parts and other items considered supportive of the firearms industry. Notices were sent to Brownells, MidwayUSA, and others specifically prohibiting them from using UPS. So:

1. does anyone know how USPS handles RIFLES, since they won't do handguns for regular folks; and/or other gun parts?
    2. does anyone have used an FFL to FFL via UPS weapon shippeD recently to avoid the danger of destroyed items.

Since I will be selling some stuff and shooters I want to be as 'hopeful' as possible that they get to ya'll as expected.
    USPS has not given me any grief when shipping rifles with them. I started using them last year. That was after a counter clerk at UPS hassled me every other or third time, over several times, when I went to ship ammo or firearms. She always insisted she was right but always was wrong when she said that something I wanted to ship was prohibited. I showed her UPS regs, ATF regs, federal statutes all to no avail. Like father, she knew best.

As for boxes for shipping rifles I got my boxes by way of online orders from https://www.uline.com/.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Buy a cheap plastic hard case, then try your LGS for shipping boxes - from their inbound shipments they usually have more than they know what to do with.

USPS has generally worked best for me. I've only had to educate a newbie USPS worker a time or two.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    The problem with UPS Stores, Mail Centers ect is that they are privately owned and not owned by UPS. Our local UPS Store is honest about the problem....they can't get insurance that will cover firearms and ammunition and therefore will not ship them..........our local Mail Center says the same thing. It's not that they don't want to.....

There is all kinds of anti 2A fuckery going on that most don't even realize...............

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    My local UPS store wouldn't even ship a kydex holster. Pretty annoying

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    My local UPS store wouldn't even ship a kydex holster. Pretty annoying

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    When asked the contents of a box by UPS, I usually tell them electrical components, tools or mechanical parts depending on the weight and size of the sealed box.

The only gun I've shipped was a warranty repair to Springfield Armory last spring. SA sent me a FedEx shipping label. I placed the pistol in a plastic gun case and then it packed in a box with the RMA, sealed it and placed the shipping label over the box flaps to prevent it being opened.

Top Bottom