• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I think this is something I'll just have to pass on and take your word on!

Axxe55,

IF you like hamburger meat and/or patty sausage & you like cream gravy, I think that you would like "well-made" SOS, with or W/O a "topper".
    (Like the old-time Army cooks, I sometimes use 1/2 beef & 1/2 pork sausage in my SOS. - So far, NO horsemeat, though!!)

yours, satx
    Capitol Armory ad

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Axxe55,

IF you like hamburger meat and/or patty sausage & you like cream gravy, I think that you would like "well-made" SOS, with or W/O a "topper".
    (Like the old-time Army cooks, I sometimes use 1/2 beef & 1/2 pork sausage in my SOS. - So far, NO horsemeat, though!!)

yours, satx

Yep, basically cream gravy with ground meat in it, SOS goes with anything.
    What's not too like ...

lobo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2011
    Texas
    Nowadays, I take thin sliced Beef meat that comes in those little $1 bags by the deli meat ...........
    Start a good gravy with butter, flour and once it is ready to add milk, pour it in to make a delicious gravy. Cut up beef slices in to 1" pieces and add to gravy mixture. Make some toast and then through the pour it all over.

Great stuff! My mother, God rest her soul, is to call it S..On Shingles

Loved it and still do......

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    My dad dropped out of high school to serve in WWII, because of his white privlage.

baboon,

Understood.

Fwiw, my Dad quit playing in the NFL to join the USAAC & made a total of 26 missions in B17.
    (He & Mother got married in Commerce, TX about 0300 on 08DEC41, before he left at 0700 for flight training.)
    My Uncle Trull (Dad's elder brother) gave up his "high-paying" union job with the railroad to "run off to the Merchant Marine".
    (He made 8 convoys from the East Coast to Russia)
    and
    My Uncle Wayne (Mother's elder brother) gave up his good government job to enlist in the USN.
    (Of the 14 males who were over 17YO & less than 50YO of our family during WWII, 12 of them served in the military forces. = 2 USAAC, 2 USMC, 3 USN, 4 Army & a Merchant Mariner)
    Uncle Emory was severely crippled from a farm accident in 1933 & was in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.
    (He was appointed President of the local draft board in a NETX county from 1943-45, "to do something" for the war effort.)
    Uncle Ruby was born a deaf-mute & was refused service in every Armed Service.
    (Uncle Ruby spent the WWII years "replacing" the newspaper editor in a small NETX town, who had enlisted in the USMC. - After WWII, he spent the rest of his life working at the daily newspaper in Temple, TX as the paper's typesetter & passed away in 1963.)

There was a VERY DIFFERENT sort of men/women in those days from the host of "shrinking violets", "snowflakes" & "pajama boys" that the USA is afflicted with in 2020.
    . The WWII citizens really were THE GREATEST GENERATION. - I fear that the USA will NOT "see their like again".

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Sort of, but not really. I made some sausage gravy, but was to lazy to do biscuits. Besides I didn't want the extra dishes fot the wife. Ate it off sour dough toast. The dog is doing the dishes now!

baboon,

As some members here know, I now work part-time for the 2020 Census & when I got home this evening at 1930hrs, I was HUNGRY as a wolf but was in NO mood to wait too long to eat OR do a lot of cooking.

The solution was 3 slices of whole wheat toast with SOS (I had NO bulk sausage, so it was all HB.), topped with "2 over medium" & iced expresso for Supper.

Even if I did fix it, it was GREAT & about as good as The USAISC Field Mess at Ft Benning, GA usually has each morning & night.
    (I'm about 100% sure that The Field Mess is much more expensive than it was when I was a student/staff-member of ASTD there.: 35 cents for breakfast, 1.10 for lunch & 95 cents for supper. = It was THE BEST DEAL in Columbus/Ft Benning.)

When I was working at ASTD, I was allowed to eat all 3 daily meals at The Field Mess. I often went with our Allied Students to eat, if only because by the time that our training ended each night not many places, that served full "sit-down" meals, were still open. = The Field Mess served until 0300 (It closed from 0300 to 0500 to clean up & prepare for the morning meal.) because of the WEIRD hours that MPs, "Special Troops" & the training command often works.
    (To tell everyone how WEIRD some of the staffers shifts were, I worked a SPLIT shift for about 6 months at ASTD from 2300-0300 & then 0900-1400, Sunday through Thursday & was "on 12 hour recall" the other 2 days each week, "as necessary".)

yours, satx

Top Bottom