• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Sort of, but not really. I made some sausage gravy, but was to lazy to do biscuits. Besides I didn't want the extra dishes fot the wife. Ate it off sour dough toast. The dog is doing the dishes now!
    Sounds like just shittin' to me?????

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Soap And Water
    A minister was asked to dinner by one of his parishioners, who he knew was an unkempt housekeeper.

When he sat down at the table, he noticed that the dishes were the dirtiest that he had ever seen in his life.

"Were these dishes ever washed?" he asked his hostess, running his fingers over the grit and grime.

She replied, "They're as clean as soap and water could get them."

He felt a bit apprehensive, but blessed the food anyway and started eating. It was really delicious and he said so, despite the dirty dishes.

When dinner was over, the hostess took the dishes outside and yelled, to her dogs "Here Soap! Here Water!"

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Real shit on a shingle is made from that bagged mystery meat and gravy you threw in boiling water while the toaster was working. In the 70s. Or the circa post ww2 canned shit.

Poor folks food.

Along with
    Loose meat hamburger, bread optional.
    Fried week old bologna.
    Spam
    Toast n gravy. All you can eat.
    Chicken used to be poor people food too when a whole bird was 75 cents. Now it rivals pork.

Cant affork good pork chops or steaks. Least not till the last kid leaves the house.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Real shit on a shingle is made from that bagged mystery meat and gravy you threw in boiling water while the toaster was working. In the 70s. Or the circa post ww2 canned shit.

Poor folks food.

Along with
    Loose meat hamburger, bread optional.
    Fried week old bologna.
    Spam
    Toast n gravy. All you can eat.
    Chicken used to be poor people food too when a whole bird was 75 cents. Now it rivals pork.

Cant affork good pork chops or steaks. Least not till the last kid leaves the house.
    Did you steal my menu for next week?????

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Sort of, but not really. I made some sausage gravy, but was to lazy to do biscuits. Besides I didn't want the extra dishes fot the wife. Ate it off sour dough toast. The dog is doing the dishes now!

baboon,

THANKS for reminding me that I need to plan Supper for tonight. = I, too, make SOS using what is LIKELY the original PRE-WWI recipe that I got from (a long passed away) WWI doughboy/US Army cook about 1970.
    (Mr. Oscar N. DeForest said that the recipe that he gave me is the one that he often made "under canvas" in France. - BTW, he said that he cooked a LOT of SOS using meat from Army horses that had to be put down.)

The recipe is similar to, but not exactly the same as, the recipe on 10th Mountain Division's website.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I have no idea. I couldn't hardly make it past the smell! It was horrible. It tasted bad, it smelled bad and it looked bad.

Axxe55,

SOS is NOT PRETTY to LOOK at but IF you know how to cook it it's GOOD (at least in the opinion of most EX-GIs of a certain age = Young soldiers don't get it, as it's NO longer on the Army Master Menu.) TASTING.

IF you want to find out IF a "braggart" really served in the RVN era (or from WWII on) or NOT ask, "Do you take yours topped??"
    (IF they have NO clue about your query, they didn't serve, even if they don't like SOS.)

BTW, make mine TOPPED (3 over-medium, Sarge) over toast/rice/potatoes/biscuits/etc., with LOTS of red TOBASCO.

yours, satx
    USA, Retired

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Axxe55,

SOS is NOT PRETTY to LOOK at but IF you know how to cook it it's GOOD (at least in the opinion of most EX-GIs of a certain age = Young soldiers don't get it, as it's NO longer on the Army Master Menu.) TASTING.

IF you want to find out IF a "braggart" really served in the RVN era (or from WWII on) or NOT ask, "Do you take yours topped??"
    (IF they have NO clue about your query, they didn't serve, even if they don't like SOS.)

BTW, make mine TOPPED (3 over-medium, Sarge) over toast/rice/potatoes/biscuits/etc., with LOTS of red TOBASCO.

yours, satx
    USA, Retired

I think this is something I'll just have to pass on and take your word on!

Top Bottom