• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I searched the forum and couldn't find anything related to shock buffers .............. so here's my question. Has anyone had any experience with shock buffers specifically designated for a shorter barreled 1911? I was happily surprised when I found that my Colt Rail Gun had a shock buffer installed when I got it from a friend and upon firing it I noticed a significant reduction in felt recoil (although it could have been helped by the stiffer springs my friend had installed)! I looked in my Brownell's catalog and found several manufacturers that make the shock buffers but no mention of any of them being different between a full size, Commander size, or Officer size barrel. There didn't seem to be any distinction regarding barrel size. The Defender 1911 (3") doesn't (to me) seem to be difficult to control but I'd like to try a shock buffer to see if it would reduce the felt recoil (and they are pretty cheap). Any information would be greatly appreciated, especially from someone who has used them on a shorter barreled pistol ( 1911 or other). Thanks.
    Guns International

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Generally, the short barreled 1911s don't have enough extra room in the spring tunnel area for the addition of a buffer. Reducing felt recoil isn't their purpose. They are designed to reduce frame battering caused by too weak a spring. They wear out quickly and can shed pieces which can jam the gun,

JimBobKelley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2010
    I asked the same question a while back and was told to stay away from them because if by chance one breaks apart then you could have some issues with gun function when it matters most. I believe it was TR Graham that offered that advice. I always thought they were used for under powered or worn springs so the frame does not take a beating. No first hand experience just first hand advice from a trusted source. YMMV.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Thanks for the input. I knew their initial purpose was to lessen slide battering but they do reduce recoil to a certain extent. I'm going to contact the manufacturers of a couple and see what they say.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Generally, the short barreled 1911s don't have enough extra room in the spring tunnel area for the addition of a buffer. Reducing felt recoil isn't their purpose. They are designed to reduce frame battering caused by too weak a spring. They wear out quickly and can shed pieces which can jam the gun,

Quoted for truth. I loathe and despise shock-buffers.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    1. They're a crutch for folks who don't want to take the effort to learn recoil-control via proper technique.
    2. They're a crutch for folks who won't change out their recoil-springs.
    3. They're a crutch for companies who use sub-standard recoil-springs.
    4. They wear down and fall apart at inopportune moments, tying up the gun.
    5. They take up space inside the gun to the extent that some slides can't even complete a full slide-cycle - the slide short-strokes to where it can stove-pipe by closing early, won't lock open on an empty magazine, or worse - can't get back far enough to clear the rim of the next round in the magazine, resulting in an empty chamber and hence... the Dead Man's Click.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Ed Brown (premier 1911 builder), who also sells shock buffers just told me (not him but an employee) they do not recommend shock buffers on any 1911 other than the full size govt. model. Pretty much answers that question.

JimBobKelley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2010
    Ed Brown (premier 1911 builder), who also sells shock buffers just told me (not him but an employee) they do not recommend shock buffers on any 1911 other than the full size govt. model. Pretty much answers that question.

Thanks Charlie for getting back to us with what you found out.

Did they give a reason why they approve of shock buffers being used on govt models? I guess what I am asking is under what circumstances are shock buffers recommended and not recommended?

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    After every gun writer in America came out singing the praises of shock buffs, I drank the KoolAid and bought some. Tried them in 3 1911's. I found them to be completely unnecessary and could not see anything to convince me that they were helping to protect the mechanism at all. Don't waste your time or money.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I'm not so concerned about the mechanism as I am one of 'em coming apart in a situation where I need it to go "BANG"! I do NOT use 'em, an' have removed any I've ever seen on any gun I've handled. If it belongs to someone else, I express my concerns, and if they still want to put one in, I hand the gun back to 'em an' let THEM do it. That usually makes 'em realize just how bad an idea they think they are.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Wilson Combat uses shok buffs on many of their guns, and has for many years. They can work just fine on the 5" guns, though I've not really heard of or seen them used on any of the smaller format guns. The problem tends to be that they are "high maintenance". Wilson says they last 1,000rds. Many others I know recommend replacing them VERY frequently, like every couple hundred rounds or so. I can see them lasting and working just fine, if you replace them that frequently. I would say that fact alone probably precludes their use by most shooters, since most seem to treat their pistols like lawn mowers.

On the flip side, I could understand a person using them on a 5" aluminum framed gun, as aluminum framed 1911's tend to be much more susceptible to wear and tear, especially if a recoil spring gets a bit worn out. Still, we're likely talking about a very few percent improvement in anything, so at some point you have to wonder...what's the point? Just spend the $5-10 to replace your recoil spring every 3k rounds (or 1k if it's a 3-4" gun), and you're fine. If you want it to last a bit longer, Wilson's new flat spring design (like Glock's), by all accounts, seems to have made a marked improvement in spring life to the point where you can push that well past 5k rounds. When in doubt, spend a few bucks on preventative maintenance. It will save a lot of hassle.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    After all the yays and nays, I see nothing wrong with puttin' one on a 5" to lessen battering. They are easy to put on and cheap ($1.00 each +/-). I was inquiring specifically about shorter barreled guns and I got the answer. It's not recommended. If one shoots a great deal, springs would certainly be more important than buffers. All that said, when I get another 5", I'll probably put a buffer in it. :rolleyes: Thanks for all the input.

Top Bottom