• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    how do you tell if your shocks are going bad?

Vehicle:
    2008 Yukon with ZW7 (self leveling NIVOMAT shocks)suspension package
    80xxx miles

Its hard for me to tell because im used to driving my Sierra with Z60 package and its a hell of a lot stiffer than my wifes Yukon. The only reason im questioning the shocks is I recently drove the Yuk to work and when I was going over a series of large speed bumps, when the rear would bounce coming off the speed bump I would hear a squeak. Speed going over was 0-5 mph.

cheapest I can find them is $350/shock I want to make sure its bad first.

Anyone know a good site to Order the NIVOMAT shocks that wont cost me both my arms and one leg right before Christmas?
    Thanks in advance.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The knee test.

Make sure the bumper can handle this, and use a hand on the sheet metal to push, too. But put your knee on the front or rear bumper check both ends) and start bouncing the vehicle. Get it going as well as you can, then step away and let it go on its own. If you step away at the bottom of a stroke (which is how I do it), the vehicle should rise slightly above ride height and return to ride height (some will just go right to ride, depends on how the damper is valved). If it goes up, then down, then back up to ride height, the dampers on that end are definitely worn.

Driving, the most noticeable thing is a "floaty" feeling. More boat-like than car-like.

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    thanks it does feel a bit floaty to me.looks like im going to be getting dirty this weekend. 700$ for two shocks is ridiculous.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    thanks it does feel a bit floaty to me.looks like im going to be getting dirty this weekend. 700$ for two shocks is ridiculous.
    If she's not complaining and it's not unsafe, seems to me you have time to find the least burdensome fix.

(Didn't want to hurt your feelings and say *cheap*, tightwad. :laughing:)

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    Be glad it isn't McPherson struts... Dealership wanted over a grand to change those stupid things... Luckily the car got rolled on 635 before I got around to doing it.

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    Be glad it isn't McPherson struts... Dealership wanted over a grand to change those stupid things... Luckily the car got rolled on 635 before I got around to doing it.

Psshh 700 is just parts for the rear. Another 300 for the front struts. And that's me doing the labor.

I'm not sure the bounce test applies much to these shocks because they are actually load bearing vs conventional shocks that just apply downward pressure. I did it anyways and before I could land from jumping off the back bumper the truck had stopped bouncing.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom