Shooting a pistol while seated?

m5215

Pistoleer
Sep 3, 2018
Plano, TX
Believe it or not I have never shot this way and recently thought about it such as needing to shoot in a situation at home when seated because a bad situation presented itself quickly.

Are there any concerns/benefits or other considerations shooting this way versus standing or is it simply no big deal to shoot while seated?

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2009
Lampasas, Texas
Don't rest the magazine base plate on anything. Some pistols will jam if you do.

You can practice at the range by kneeling down behind the bench if seating isn't available.

Empty gun draw practice may be a good idea too.

Reactions: JCC

Dred

Mar 12, 2012
Houston, TX
Getting to a sidearm on your waist is much harder when seated. It is worth trying so you can work a plan 8f you need to do it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JCC

popsgarland

Aug 24, 2011
DFW area
Is your gun holstered? If so, someone already inside could get to you before you could draw. If their breaking in, you would have time to stand and then draw. As said above, practice at your range. When I go to my range, I'll shoot standing and sitting just be able to do both.

gll

Jan 22, 2016
I know a lot of people denigrate cross draw, but I carry my EDC Sig P365 in an OWB Desantis Criss Cross at my 11:00, unless I slide it around toward by 10:00 when driving. My spare magazine is in a horizontal pouch at my 1:00, barely accessible unless the pistol is drawn. Walking, sitting, driving, or laying down, this draw works for me, usually at home so open carry and if I need to conceal, I just pull my tee shirt out to cover it.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Jigo23

Jun 3, 2015
At our range we have a table that we use for this purpose. We simulate being at a restaurant and things go bad. We draw from being seated and there are shoot and no shoot targets.
Yep, have done this a lot during IDPA shooting. Also shooting while laying on your side, simulating having to shoot while in bed. Definitely nice to practice from various positions before having to do it for the first time for real.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member