• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Believe it or not I have never shot this way and recently thought about it such as needing to shoot in a situation at home when seated because a bad situation presented itself quickly.

Are there any concerns/benefits or other considerations shooting this way versus standing or is it simply no big deal to shoot while seated?
    Capitol Armory ad

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Don't rest the magazine base plate on anything. Some pistols will jam if you do.

You can practice at the range by kneeling down behind the bench if seating isn't available.

Empty gun draw practice may be a good idea too.

Reactions: JCC

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Getting to a sidearm on your waist is much harder when seated. It is worth trying so you can work a plan 8f you need to do it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JCC

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    Is your gun holstered? If so, someone already inside could get to you before you could draw. If their breaking in, you would have time to stand and then draw. As said above, practice at your range. When I go to my range, I'll shoot standing and sitting just be able to do both.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I know a lot of people denigrate cross draw, but I carry my EDC Sig P365 in an OWB Desantis Criss Cross at my 11:00, unless I slide it around toward by 10:00 when driving. My spare magazine is in a horizontal pouch at my 1:00, barely accessible unless the pistol is drawn. Walking, sitting, driving, or laying down, this draw works for me, usually at home so open carry and if I need to conceal, I just pull my tee shirt out to cover it.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Jigo23

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    At our range we have a table that we use for this purpose. We simulate being at a restaurant and things go bad. We draw from being seated and there are shoot and no shoot targets.

Yep, have done this a lot during IDPA shooting. Also shooting while laying on your side, simulating having to shoot while in bed. Definitely nice to practice from various positions before having to do it for the first time for real.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Yep, have done this a lot during IDPA shooting. Also shooting while laying on your side, simulating having to shoot while in bed. Definitely nice to practice from various positions before having to do it for the first time for real.
    We practice all kinds of drills like this. He even has a car door set up so you can practice shooting from a vehicle. Someone donated an old ATM and we have set it up to practice using it. Anyone can stand still and shoot at a target, we try to do things that might be useful if you ever find yourself in a bad situation.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I've been doing quite a bit more seated practice. And while it takes a round or two to adjust, it's really not all that different from anything else. Take this as a minimum because, I'm really just sitting with the sidearm at the low-ish ready, without obstacles or holster to account for. Obviously, being seated in a booth at a restaurant, sitting at a desk at the office, or being belted into the seat of a vehicle would, and will take much more practice.

Last edited:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I practice dry fire while I'm taking a shit on occasion

1767F267-F40E-45A4-8D52-6384A202B8D2.gif

Attachments

• 1767F267-F40E-45A4-8D52-6384A202B8D2.gif