• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I’ve never really tried to shoot over 100 yards. For one, none of the guns I have are meant for longer distances. But I am going hunting pretty soon, so I wanted to get some experience, and some numbers, on my old 30.06. Things I learned......
    1) 200 yards is a long damn way!!!!
    2) I don’t have enough ammo to get real good at 200 yds and out.
    3) If I see an animal and it’s over 200 yards away, I am just gonna admire its beauty and wait for something closer.

Seriously though, at 200 yards, I did shoot a decent group, (for me) about 3”. But I could tell that for now, I’m not comfortable taking any longer shot on an animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Target Sports

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    Give us load data from the box of ammo, one of us can whip up some basic dope charts pretty quickly. This is a good group of people that don't mind helping out where we can.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Give us load data from the box of ammo, one of us can whip up some basic dope charts pretty quickly. This is a good group of people that don't mind helping out where we can.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’ve got 4 different types of ammo. I worked up numbers on all of them, and I had planned to try and shoot a group with each to see if the numbers I had were accurate enough. I started with some Priv 150 grain at 100, then I moved to 200, and after I saw that the drop was pretty close to what my numbers said they should be, I decided to come back another day, and try the others. I don’t have a spotting scope, and I was using the ranges. It was ok, but I could barely see my hits at 200 yards, and I didn’t want to waste ammo when it was so hard to see where I was.

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    It’s an old Remington 721 in 30.06. Leupold 3-9. About 1” high at 100 yards.

Always heard good things about the 721. Sounds like its doing it's part, just need a little practice on your end and you should be fine. What ammo are you using in it?

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Always heard good things about the 721. Sounds like its doing it's part, just need a little practice on your end and you should be fine. What ammo are you using in it?

I’ve got some Hornady American Whitetail 180 grain, some Remington AccuTip 165 grain, some Federal Premium Barnes TSX 180 grain, some Federal PowerShok 180 grain, and some PrviPartizen 150 grain soft point. I zeroed at 100 yards with the Hornady 180 grain, and it was pretty close to dead on. I shot a group with the Prvi today and it was about 1” high at 100 yards. Need to go back and shoot the Hornady at 100 and 200, because that’s what I would like to use.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    A 3 inch group at 200 yards is darn good. This will cover the kill zone on a deer. Too bad you are short on ammo, cuz that 06 will definitely go out further.

I really need a spotting scope. I have 5 boxes of ammo (20 ea) so I can shoot a group of 3 with each and be ok, but I was using the ranges spotting scope and I could barely see at 200 yards. Seemed like a good scope, Leupold, but I could barely see my hits.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    It’s an old Remington 721 in 30.06. Leupold 3-9. About 1” high at 100 yards with 150 grain Priv soft point.

The Remington Model 721 was the preceding model before the Model 700, and much of the features of the 721 and 722 were retained on Model 700's. They are excellent rifles.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    I really need a spotting scope. I have 5 boxes of ammo (20 ea) so I can shoot a group of 3 with each and be ok, but I was using the ranges spotting scope and I could barely see at 200 yards. Seemed like a good scope, Leupold, but I could barely see my hits.

Try some of those "shoot n see" stick on targets, the ones I have go from black to green where the boolit hits.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

If you can consistently get 3" groups at 200 yards, you are well withing the "kill zone" of most any larger animal, and even deer.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Try some of those "shoot n see" stick on targets, the ones I have go from black to green where the boolit hits.

I’m gonna get a spotting scope and a pack of those targets. That will make things 1000X better for sure!

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I *think* you’re fine out to 200yds but I’d want that to be in low wind conditions without knowing a lot more.

I think you’re being responsible erring on a conservative distance. I’m pretty sure most deer in Texas are taken in the sub-150 yard range.

If you have the ammo, I would work an MPBR zero starting from the table included in the article below. I think the article is worth your time to read as well.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    A 3" group is fine, but that was off sandbags and a bench.
    Probably be at least double that in the field. Unless you have a rock solid blind with buttstock support or are shooting prone with a bipod.
    Gobs of variables in the field.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom