• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    A 3" group is fine, but that was off sandbags and a bench.
    Probably be at least double that in the field. Unless you have a rock solid blind with buttstock support or are shooting prone with a bipod.
    Gobs of variables in the field.

I haven’t got the hang of shooting sitting down and using sand bags as supports. Maybe it’s because I’m 6’5”, but I try to get everything solid and lined up, but I can never get a steady enough hold, and it’s an awkward position for me. I wish they would let me shoot standing with a monopod to support the front of the gun, I am much more comfortable and steady that way. Or laying prone, with a bipod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I was looking at that last night, and it’s almost how I’m set up now. Right now I’m an 1” or so high at 100, so even if I don’t hold over at 200, it’s only a 3 1/2” drop. As long as I can get some range time, and I am hitting where I aim consistently, I’m not too worried about not getting a good kill shot.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Might try a Caldwell zeromax rest for bench shooting. And a bogpod field pod for standing.
    You might also enjoy videos buy Ryan Cleckner. He tells you how to get lined up behind your rifle. You have to be relaxed to shoot your best.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    At the range put your bag on an ammo can (or similar) about where it would be resting on the stand window frame. Try to mimick how you will be shooting from the stand, support more in the center of the rifle and just yourself for rear support.

"Train how you're gonna fight" mentality.

This will give you confidence in the shot and help you know your limitations.

I applaud your concern beforehand. Many hunters shoot three shots at the range (if that) and go in the field unprepared. This leads to a lot of wounded game.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    if you want more, you should think about reloading.

3 inchs at 200 will kill a lot.

I reload all my handgun ammo, and would LOVE to load my own 30.06, but I don’t have any rifle primers! I’ve got enough ammo now that I’m gonna go Sunday (hopefully) and see how close to my chart, the rifle is.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I’ve never really tried to shoot over 100 yards. For one, none of the guns I have are meant for longer distances. But I am going hunting pretty soon, so I wanted to get some experience, and some numbers, on my old 30.06. Things I learned......
    1) 200 yards is a long damn way!!!!
    2) I don’t have enough ammo to get real good at 200 yds and out.
    3) If I see an animal and it’s over 200 yards away, I am just gonna admire its beauty and wait for something closer.

Seriously though, at 200 yards, I did shoot a decent group, (for me) about 3”. But I could tell that for now, I’m not comfortable taking any longer shot on an animal.

A wise man and a honorable hunter!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just gonna point out that all the talk about plugging in numbers off the box in to a ballistic calculator probably won’t get you any closer at 200 than just zeroing an inch high at 100 and checking 200. The numbers on the box won’t actually reflect what you get from your rifle.

That said, it’s true you should try to mimic how you will shoot in the field. Hog hunting the other day I was lucky to have a tree that grew just right so I was able to get pretty much the same stability from it as I would from a bench. But that’s usually not the case in the field unless you practice prone and have a position where you can do the same with nothing in the way. Typically it’s some sort of support up front and. I thing on the back end.

200 yards isn’t too bad though generally so long as there isn’t a terrible cross wind. Test yourself with similar conditions you will have where you hunt as others have said. If you get in the stand and see the crosshairs walking all over the county for some reason you can always not pull the trigger. But if they hold where needed at least you will know what the rifle is gonna do and you can take an ethical shot.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Went today and made sure everything is still good. After I made sure my scope was sighted in I went over to the 200 yard range and took some shots tying to replicate how I would most likely be shooting in the field. I had the fore-end of my rifle rested on my range bag, and I had the stock on my shoulder. I took 10 shots and the spread was about 6” or so (up and down, all about 1” right of center) I would have liked it to be better, but I was dealing with the fact that the range worker didn’t secure the bottom of the target, and I kept having to get the target in my sights, and then wait until the wind would die down enough that the target would lay flat and I could get a decent shot on it. They only do cease fires every hour or so and I didn’t want to wait until it was fixed to do some shooting, so I just dealt with it.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    imo the best scopes for the money are built in japan, $300 should get u a good used one

I’m using a Leupold 3-9, and even though I only have limited experience with scopes, the glass is crystal clear. And the scope is really easy to use too. It has the dial on the top so all you have to do is figure out your yardage, dial it in, and you can hold right on where you want to shoot.

Top Bottom