• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suzi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Magnolia
    Can someone explain to me why there aren't more shooting events/competitions on the north side, aka Conroe (wide) area? Is there not enough interest? No adequate facilities? It seems to that in order to learn or participate there's lots of travel involved.
    Military Camp

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Local range should be like a local bowling alley. Surely there's a weekly something or other.

Suzi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Magnolia
    You would think but it seems like whatever might be out there is VERY private. I see all kinds of stuff happening all around Austin and San Antonio and even south of Houston but not much here. It's like there's a vacuum around here.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    To the 1st, no I can't.

Shooter's Station has (had?) regular GSSF meets and I believe Thunder Gun range has regular events. I've been to neither.

What are you looking for?

Suzi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Magnolia
    Mainly looking for Steel challenge stuff but I'm part of A Girl and A Gun and several of the ladies are interested in other competitions. Personally I'm not fond of Thunder Gun.

Flashcb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    As far as your question, no I cannot answer it but here is some of the things in the area.

Couple of Cowboy Action Shooting clubs in Magnolia www.magnoliamisfits.com and www.thunderriverrenegades.com
    USPSA Club in College Station that shoots at Gunsmoke in Snook www.brazoslandpistoleros.com
    Another Cowboy club up that way www.willowholecowboys.com
    North side and west side www.bayoucityshooters.com I think it is mostly IDPA style at Shiloh
    USPSA South Section site www.texassouthsection.com
    Don't know anything about these folks but they are listed in Bellville www.kidlatshooters.com

Last edited:

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    The only Steel Challenge Match in the Houston area is down in Pearland so that's a good way from Conroe. Other than that it looks like there are some type of steel rimfire matches around College Station. There are IDPA and USPSA matches every weekend in the Houston area, 3-Gun almost every weekend.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    As previously mentioned, Thunder Gun runs quite a few events in the area. I've never shot there outside of NRA Instructor courses but I never had an issue while I was there. I do cringe a bit at public ranges and perhaps the fact that I always had a private area lended to my positive experience. Outside of that, I'm not sure that there is much else. Sad part about living in a state the size of Texas is that alot of times it means some substantial driving to get around. Personally, I'm looking at an hour drive or more anytime I even want to go shoot...usually quite a bit more if I want to go to some of the more quality ranges or matches.

GLI45

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Can someone explain to me why there aren't more shooting events/competitions on the north side, aka Conroe (wide) area? Is there not enough interest? No adequate facilities? It seems to that in order to learn or participate there's lots of travel involved.

Huh???? Check out Thunder Gun Range. I shoot with Thunder Tactical Shooters and we have IDPA practice matches every Wed and Thu night and an official match once a month. There is also a monthly Hybrid (aka USPSA) match as well as a monthly multi-gun match. Additionally there is a weekly indoor IDPA style match at Shooters Station and I believe they also have a regular Glock match. There is also an IDPA club that shoots out of Shiloh Range on FM 1960 and I believe Spring Guns and Ammo has started IDPA matches.

That's just what I can name off the top of my head. There may be others.

Top Bottom