• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    They are great little tractors within their limits of power.

I sometime miss the 1942 9N i rebuilt. Bought the tractor not running for $500, rebuilt the engine, replaced the carburetor, exhaust system, rewired and converted to 12 volts and upgraded to an altinator, along with the ignition system. Replaced all four tires, and repainted it.

All total, had about $1500 in the tractor including the cost of the tractor and the used brush hog I bought for it.
    you really want a diesel
    Target Sports

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    My son lives on 100 acres in Kaufman County and shoots a lot with his AR-15, mostly at night with night vision scope at coyotes coming around his Longhorn calves. He is very aware of the neighbors' structures which to me and others is the most important thing. No one wants to be sipping suds on their patio or have kids swimming a ways off and a bullet come whizzing by. He and a few friends do have a day of handgun firing at targets close to the ground and can sound like a battle taking place, but he has a backdrop to stop any rounds. He's had the law called out a few times when that happens but they all know him now but still have to show up. Keep all that in mind when shooting and you'll do fine. Neighbors must be considered !!

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    The most important issues are:
    1. Are you in an ETJ? If so, the associated municipality may regulate shooting.

2. Are you in a subdivision platted with the county?

I have 2 old threads that go into painful detail.

235 linked above discusses the 10 acre thing. You only need 10 acres IF you are in a platted subdivision. Otherwise, you can shoot on a postage stamp sized parcel so long as the bullets don't leave your place and you're not in an ETJ that regulates shooting.

Last edited:

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    The older mecahnical diesels are not to difficult, but I hate the smell of diesel fuel and exhaust fumes. I like the 8N and 9N tractors. very simple to work on, and relatively inexpensive to repair and maintain
    My wife would agree with you on the diesel smell, and my pocket book might agree on repair costs. However. they run and run.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    At this time, with so many newer tractors available, I'd advise against an old Ford...

If you do look at old Ford's don't buy an 8n, look for a 600 series or newer. You'll get overhead valves instead of a flat head and 10 more HP.

I have an 8n and an NAA. The NAA is overhead valve, but has a shitty splined rear axle.The NAA is still a much better tractor than the 8n.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    At this time, with so many newer tractors available, I'd advise against an old Ford...

If you do look at old Ford's don't buy an 8n, look for a 600 series or newer. You'll get overhead valves instead of a flat head and 10 more HP.

I have an 8n and an NAA. The NAA is overhead valve, but has a shitty splined rear axle.The NAA is still a much better tractor than the 8n.
    I totally agree with that. But I like the physical overall size of the 8N and 9N tractors.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    You can leave a diesel tractor sitting for a year or more and the fuel will STILL BURN. (try that with gasoline)

I have no problems with my Ford 1920. (1996 model)

I hate when neighbors have gasoline tractors and they call me every spring to come over and get the carburettor 'unstuck' and the fuel flowing again.
    DON"T let a gas tractor sit for any length of time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Propane is a second choice for tractors that SIT!

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    You can leave a diesel tractor sitting for a year or more and the fuel will STILL BURN. (try that with gasoline)

I have no problems with my Ford 1920. (1996 model)

I hate when neighbors have gasoline tractors and they call me every spring to come over and get the carburettor 'unstuck' and the fuel flowing again.
    DON"T let a gas tractor sit for any length of time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Propane is a second choice for tractors that SIT!
    My friend bought a ranch with s 500 gal tank of diesel on it, The diesel was growing algae. A bit of anti algae and some water absorber and all diesel was burned in a motor grader and a bull dozer. No one knew how old the diesel was.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    My son lives on 100 acres in Kaufman County and shoots a lot with his AR-15, mostly at night with night vision scope at coyotes coming around his Longhorn calves. He is very aware of the neighbors' structures which to me and others is the most important thing. No one wants to be sipping suds on their patio or have kids swimming a ways off and a bullet come whizzing by. He and a few friends do have a day of handgun firing at targets close to the ground and can sound like a battle taking place, but he has a backdrop to stop any rounds. He's had the law called out a few times when that happens but they all know him now but still have to show up. Keep all that in mind when shooting and you'll do fine. Neighbors must be considered !!

Very cool! Oh, definitely agree! No muzzles / shots fired towards any neighbors / structures, for sure! The first thing I plan to do for the shooting range is to build a berm, most likely a 3-sided berm...there will be a LOT of steel targets...and I've got full-auto as well....I would expect a visit from the law...and a "hey, send some rounds downrange" invitation! I'll also be riding the daylights out of my SxS, that's another one of the reasons for this place, I also plan to build a short-course SxS track and woods track and also a dirt oval...so, gotta be away from neighbors - or make sure that I've got the right kind of neighbors that will be joining in the fun! Anyway....it's all mental masturbation until it isn't LOL!!

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    The most important issues are:
    1. Are you in an ETJ? If so, the associates municipality may regulate shooting.

2. Are you in a subdivision platted with the county.

I have 2 old threads that go into painful detail.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Answers to 1 and 2 will be HECK NO!! I've already bypassed some property that was waaaaay to close to city limits (it was way up in NE Texas, near the Red River). I definitely don't want to be in ETJ - for the reason you mentioned - among others.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    Very cool! Oh, definitely agree! No muzzles / shots fired towards any neighbors / structures, for sure! The first thing I plan to do for the shooting range is to build a berm, most likely a 3-sided berm...there will be a LOT of steel targets...and I've got full-auto as well....I would expect a visit from the law...and a "hey, send some rounds downrange" invitation! I'll also be riding the daylights out of my SxS, that's another one of the reasons for this place, I also plan to build a short-course SxS track and woods track and also a dirt oval...so, gotta be away from neighbors - or make sure that I've got the right kind of neighbors that will be joining in the fun! Anyway....it's all mental masturbation until it isn't LOL!!
    Only allowed if I can test the steel targets, Cass County steel target tester here. Rates are fairly good, admittance only. I will even supply testing equipment.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    Regarding tractors...this is what I'm leaning towards...again, this is all in my head until it isn't....LOL

The "Unicorn" Kioti CK2610 (A/C and heat in a tractor? Yes Please!!):

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    Regarding tractors...this is what I'm leaning towards...again, this is all in my head until it isn't....LOL

The "Unicorn" Kioti CK2610 (A/C and heat in a tractor? Yes Please!!):

I have a friend that has one of these in Vermont, he loves it.

Top Bottom