• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I have 17 acres in Caldwell Co. and spoke with the Sheriffs Office and the game warden to confirm everything was good and they said 10 acres or more and you are good to go. My neighbor kept saying that shooting at night was a federal offense which the Sheriffs Office and game warded stated is not true.

The Sergeant I spoke with also stated that even though it is legal to shoot, sometimes neighbors will call them to complain. He stated they usually send a Deputy out to make contact and make sure everyone is being safe.

Your neighbor sounds like he gets his information from TV shows and movies, or just pulls it out of his arse :laughing:
    Capitol Armory ad

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Google gave the answer in a couple seconds.
    7b1d4a41b8fd87f6cac7340f28ba0fa7.jpg

Just needs to be 10 plus acres.
    And meet all the other criteria set out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look a little closer. That regulates the activity of hunting with a firearm and only applies when the land is both in the unincorporated part of the county AND in a platted subdivision.

Recreational shooting is not addressed in that ordinance, and land, no matter the size, that is not in a platted subdivision is not subject to that ordinance.

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    If you are outside the city limits in this case the city of Burnet.

Can you shoot rifles and pistols if you have 5 acres of land ? and are 300 yrds from any buildings that are not your own ?

And for a final answer who would I contact to find out for sure I know asking a sheriff would in most cases be pointless as each one will have a different answer.

Or if it is YOURS, you could just act like you own it, do what you want and stop looking for permission every time you lift a finger.

crzy_one

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Austin
    Your neighbor sounds like he gets his information from TV shows and movies, or just pulls it out of his arse :laughing:

But he heard it from a buddy of his so it has to be true!

I tried breaking it down like this...you can shoot hogs at night legally so you must be able to shoot at night. Gonna shoot just after dark tomorrow and see how it goes. If he calls me all hysterical I will calmly explain again that it is fine and continue...and surely a Deputy will be at my gate within 15 minutes

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I have 17 acres in Caldwell Co. and spoke with the Sheriffs Office and the game warden to confirm everything was good and they said 10 acres or more and you are good to go. My neighbor kept saying that shooting at night was a federal offense which the Sheriffs Office and game warded stated is not true.

The Sergeant I spoke with also stated that even though it is legal to shoot, sometimes neighbors will call them to complain. He stated they usually send a Deputy out to make contact and make sure everyone is being safe.

And herein lies the problem. You can be totally legal and have a neighbor that makes it not worth the ordeal. If the neighbor shoots out their window, calls the sheriff, and says your stray bullet did it you're up a creek. A crazy neighbor could find other ways to make your life hell, even though you're doing nothing wrong.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    And herein lies the problem. You can be totally legal and have a neighbor that makes it not worth the ordeal. If the neighbor shoots out their window, calls the sheriff, and says your stray bullet did it you're up a creek. A crazy neighbor could find other ways to make your life hell, even though you're doing nothing wrong.

Quoted for truth.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I have a pdf of an old NRA range design book. I'm not sure if we're allowed to post it here, but it has good info on building indoor and outdoor ranges including info on berm construction.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dennisz

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Pipe Creek, TX (Hill Country)
    Look a little closer. That regulates the activity of hunting with a firearm and only applies when the land is both in the unincorporated part of the county AND in a platted subdivision.

Recreational shooting is not addressed in that ordinance, and land, no matter the size, that is not in a platted subdivision is not subject to that ordinance.
    What Todd said, here is the text of the Texas Statute. “
    Sec. 235.022. AUTHORITY TO REGULATE. To promote the public safety, the commissioners court of a county by order may prohibit or otherwise regulate the discharge of firearms and air guns on lots that are 10 acres or smaller and are located in the unincorporated area of the county in a subdivision.

Added by Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 1, Sec. 55(a), eff. Aug. 28, 1989. Renumbered from Sec. 240.022 by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1420, Sec. 12.003(9), eff. Sept. 1, 2001.
    Amended by:
    Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1210 (S.B. 1400), Sec. 3, eff. June 14, 2013”

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Here I was thinking I MIGHT have to get 50 acres at the top of the market...
    I need to do some more research, but anyone have some LINKS?!?!?!?

I don't NEED 50 acres, but could afford the land, septic, and a well, IF I sell my Commiefornia house at the top of the market, but then I would have to probably finance the home-build...

Don't worry about ME...
    the Thordsen'-stock switching to NORMAL pistol-grips as soon as we land with the moving truck...
    LIKE THAT F'N DAY!!! :D

If you can afford the land, get it. They're not making any more of it, and having that much land is extremely liberating.

Even if it's "only" 5-10 acres, it's worth it.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are

Well my point was more that the info he seeks is readily available.

I did read it.

But you (he) can find the answer with a little research.

I did exactly that for my lands county (caldwell).

But advice from a web site is always better right

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are

Actually unincorporated parts of Caldwell its way less 2.1 acres is all ya need.
    My land is in caldwell.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I have a pdf of an old NRA range design book. I'm not sure if we're allowed to post it here, but it has good info on building indoor and outdoor ranges including info on berm construction.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post it!

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    If you are outside the city limits in this case the city of Burnet.

Can you shoot rifles and pistols if you have 5 acres of land ? and are 300 yrds from any buildings that are not your own ?

And for a final answer who would I contact to find out for sure I know asking a sheriff would in most cases be pointless as each one will have a different answer.

Call the po-po (sheriff) and identify yourself as a gun owner. That sounds like a good idea.

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    It’s why I use suppressors shooting on my property. It’s legal, but I don’t have time to deal with skittish neighbors. If a gun is fired in a forest and no one hears it…

Top Bottom