• ...and so much more!
  • Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    I used to know this answer. It is different for rifles and shotguns on how many acres you have. Texas law negates any city ordinances. Cities dont like it when you quote them the law when they want to do it their way.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk 2
    ARJ Defense ad

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Are there Texas state laws governing the amount of land one must own regarding shooting on it? I've never been aware of any state laws covering the amount of land, not saying there isn't but I'd like to see the actual laws if they exist.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    The only laws I can find on it are on a county and city level. Look it up on Google for your county. Search for "County Name shooting on private land" and the results should have an answer from the county's website within the first page of results. If you search "Texas shooting on private land" you get a lot of county and city websites.

Flat Lander

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Sundown
    Size makes no difference outside a city limits. If the projectile leaves the property then you violate the law. As long as the projectile doesn't cross a property line then it is perfectly legal. I can look up the exact code if you like.

pvtsnowball82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Outside San Antonio
    Size makes no difference outside a city limits. If the projectile leaves the property then you violate the law. As long as the projectile doesn't cross a property line then it is perfectly legal. I can look up the exact code if you like.

Not entirely true. While it is generally accepted that people shoot on their property outside city limits, I believe technically in most counties the minimum required area is 10 acres.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Are there Texas state laws governing the amount of land one must own regarding shooting on it? I've never been aware of any state laws covering the amount of land, not saying there isn't but I'd like to see the actual laws if they exist.

There is a state law proscribing discharge of firearms inside populous municipalities, and there is a state law restricting the power of counties to ban shooting on property over certain acreage.

Flat Lander

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Sundown
    Sec. 235.022. AUTHORITY TO REGULATE. To promote the public safety, the commissioners court of a county by order may prohibit or otherwise regulate the
    verity_arrow_left.gif
    discharge
    verity_arrow_right.gif
    of
    verity_arrow_left.gif
    firearms
    verity_arrow_right.gif
    on lots that are 10 acres or smaller and are located in the unincorporated area of the county in a subdivision.

They can only regulate it if it is in a subdivision it appears, which makes sense.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    And there's a law around having 50 acres in an unincorporated area that is later incorporated. There's some nuances but in general you could still shoot on it even if it became incorporated.

I can't find the link right now but I'll look for it....

Flat Lander

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Sundown
    229.002. REGULATIONOF DISCHARGE OF WEAPON. A municipalitymay not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or otherweapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or in an areaannexed by the municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or otherweapon is:(1) a shotgun, air rifle orpistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow discharged:(A) on a tract of land of 10 acres or more and more than 150 feet from aresidence or occupied building located on another property; and(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to causea projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or(2) a center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol ofany caliber discharged:(A) on a tract ofland of 50 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupiedbuilding located on another property; and(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross theboundary of the tract.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    If your in the county there are a few things come into play

1 - Hunting regs
    PARKS AND WILDLIFE CODE  CHAPTER 62. PROVISIONS GENERALLY APPLICABLE TO HUNTING

2 - You must be 200 foot from an occupied building

3 - Property line issue
    -- see Sec. 62.0121. DISCHARGE OF FIREARM ACROSS PROPERTY LINE.

3 -- 100,000 people
    PENAL CODE  CHAPTER 42. DISORDERLY CONDUCT AND RELATED OFFENSES

see

Sec. 42.12 DISCHARGE OF FIREARM IN CERTAIN MUNICIPALITIES

Other than that the county can regulate the number of acres you must have to be able to hunt on

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    All I find is county and city regs. Nothing state.
    State law basically says if you have 50+ acres you can shoot no matter what the county or city says. Anything smaller and you have to defer to the city and/or county. There's lots of scenarios where you don't need 50 acres, however. You just need to research your county regs and avoid any subdivisions.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    State law basically says if you have 50+ acres you can shoot no matter what the county or city says. Anything smaller and you have to defer to the city and/or county. There's lots of scenarios where you don't need 50 acres, however. You just need to research your county regs and avoid any subdivisions.

Please post the "state law" you are referring to. I have a buddy who owns 62 acres in McKinney (surrounded by sub-divisions) that he is forbidden through city ordnance to shoot on. His family has owned the land for three generations and it used to be "out in the country" but none of that meant anything once it was annexed into the city.

Flat Lander

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Sundown
    Please post the "state law" you are referring to. I have a buddy who owns 62 acres in McKinney (surrounded by sub-divisions) that he is forbidden through city ordnance to shoot on. His family has owned the land for three generations and it used to be "out in the country" but none of that meant anything once it was annexed into the city.

229.002. REGULATIONOF DISCHARGE OF WEAPON. A municipalitymay not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or otherweapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or in an areaannexed by the municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or otherweapon is:(1) a shotgun, air rifle orpistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow discharged:(A) on a tract of land of 10 acres or more and more than 150 feet from aresidence or occupied building located on another property; and(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to causea projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or(2) a center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol ofany caliber discharged:(A) on a tract ofland of 50 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupiedbuilding located on another property; and(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross theboundary of the tract.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    Does anyone know where I can find a summary of the laws covering when I can shoot on my own land? I'm looking to move and I want to get enough land to where I can shoot on my property without being hassled. My google-fu is failing me and all I'm getting is results highlighting the potential coming gun control laws or other irrelevant stuff. This is Bell county, if that matters any.
    The easiest and most simplest way to find out is to just contact the Authority Having Jurisdiction (sheriff probably) of the particular area you're looking at moving to. They will KNOW FOR A FACT what you can and can't do on your property. For example, I can bust some caps where I'm at but just a few miles down the road (same county) others are not allowed to do so.

Flat Lander

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Sundown
    Basically, more than 10 acres in unicorporated county land then you are fine, no matter what county you live in. More than 50 acres even in incorporated city limits, if annexed after 1981 then you are also fine. Relevant laws posted above.

Top Bottom