Shooting On Your Own Property

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by AndrewGS, Apr 30, 2012.

1. TheDan

TheDan DEPLORABLE TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Ah, smart... I didn't think of that.

2. Portals

Portals Member

Jun 16, 2011
    round rock
    Are BB and pellet guns included in these restrictions? I live in a subdivision, but not in city limits, so I cannot shoot a BB gun at targets in my back yard?
    Does the "...not across property lines..." part apply here? I mean, it would be ok if the bb did not cross property lines?

3. scap99

scap99 TGT Addict

Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Never had an issue with air rifles.
    But I didn't torment the neighbors critters.

Tapatalk sent it.

4. Pappy

Pappy Resident Septuagenarian

Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    Check your deed restrictions.....

5. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    I don't live in the city, but the city of Kerrville does not have a law that prohibits the discharge of a firearm within it's limits. Some folks I know hunt on their property, regardless of the size. A couple of years ago a homeowner who had moved from California complained about hearing gunshots by the river and called the city police. They came out and visited with the man who was shooting to determine he was not shooting across his property line and wasn't shooting recklessly. The guy complaining went to the city and complained there should be a law and tried to get one passed. City counsel voted it down my a large majority. One of the advantages of a smaller town out in the sticks.

6. Portals

Portals Member

Jun 16, 2011
    round rock
    Thanks for the input. Part of my problem is I don't know where to start. Nothing in deed restrictions (no mention). Cannot find anything in county laws. Only vague state applications. Maybe I'm looking for something explicit - that does not exist, so that means I'm ok....

7. Bithabus

Bithabus disgruntled TGT Supporter

Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Some municipalities ban air rifle shooting by ordinance, but you don't live in a municipality. The law about projectiles crossing property lines only applies to firearms.

8. rpwilson

rpwilson New Member

Sep 25, 2012
    Round Rock
    Does anybody know the firearm discharge laws for Williamson County? Is there a minimum number of acres required to shoot shotguns? I know a guy who fires his 12 gauge up in Liberty Hill in the county on 2 acres, but I would like to confirm that is legal

9. TXARGUY

TXARGUY Famous Among Dozens Lifetime Member

Not smart but probably legal if indeed out in the county. You planning to give this guy some trouble?

10. itchin

itchin TGT Addict

Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I shot doves all the time when I lived on 1 acre in victoria. My neighbors didnt mind. I believe everyone around there sits in their back y&rds shooting doves during dove season.