shooting question

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by Bigs Wife, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Bigs Wife

Bigs Wife Active Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Cedar Park
    OK, so i was wondering if anyone can give me any pointers on a little problem i have. every time i shoot bigs pistol i tend to anticipate the recoil of the gun and for some reason can't think of anything else but that. i mean I'm not scared of the gun because i know it doesn't hurt, but i don't know what i can do to stop. I'm lucky if i end up with shots that actually hit the paper.. i just can't focus on what needs to be focused on. :1zhelp:

2. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    She can shoot better than she lets on BTW.

3. mclarenross

mclarenross Member

Your flinching. My dad broke me of this when I was young by having me shoot his 44 mag blackhawk with a mix of full power magnums, specials, and empty cylinders. He would load it and spin it so I had no idea what was where. That taught me how to focus and not flinch.

4. mclarenross

mclarenross Member

Mines the same way. She says " I cant shoot your 1911 cause I dont get them all in the black." This is on a 6" bull and 25 yards.

5. Bigs Wife

Bigs Wife Active Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Cedar Park

ok and since i dont have one of those... what do i do :confused:

6. TriggerTime

TriggerTime Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    If its a semi-auto, have Big load you some magazines with snap caps mixed with live rounds. That helps you see just exactly what you are doing, how you flinch -- which you already know you are doing so that's only part of the fix. Try lighter loads and concentrate on keeping your wrist firm and your eyes open -- look to see cases ejecting (again, if its a semi) or if its a revolver, seeing the barrel rise.

You might also want to consider different grips, better hearing and eye protection and spending time with a .22 pistol to focus on the mechanics and then work your way back up.

I had that problem with a Sako 7mm mag that was brutal on recoil. Fixed that with a big Packmayr Decelerator and mercury insert.

Good luck and good shooting.

7. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Maybe i need to buy a revolver after my xd. lol :rofl: A big one.:happy0001: Or I could go to the cop shop (GT's) and get some dummies and scatter them in the mag. :gotme:
    <TriggerTime beat me to it>

8. mclarenross

mclarenross Member

Well you can do it with any magnum revolver or even a 22LR revolver. Just have your husband load it with a mix of shells and not let you look and what he did.

9. mclarenross

mclarenross Member

LOL. I guess I just figured everyone had a revolver. What TriggerTime suggested with an Auto will work. Basically you need to just practice not flinching. Remember that the shot should be a surprise every time the gun goes off. If you are thinking about the recoil when it goes off you will flinch. Concentrate on the sights and getting back on target for the next shot.

10. Bigs Wife

Bigs Wife Active Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Cedar Park
    ok thanks guys =]

we are going to the range on saturday so hopefully ill be able to fix this stupid thing.