• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigs Wife

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Cedar Park
    OK, so i was wondering if anyone can give me any pointers on a little problem i have. every time i shoot bigs pistol i tend to anticipate the recoil of the gun and for some reason can't think of anything else but that. i mean I'm not scared of the gun because i know it doesn't hurt, but i don't know what i can do to stop. I'm lucky if i end up with shots that actually hit the paper.. i just can't focus on what needs to be focused on. :1zhelp:
    Target Sports

Bigs Wife

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Cedar Park
    Your flinching. My dad broke me of this when I was young by having me shoot his 44 mag blackhawk with a mix of full power magnums, specials, and empty cylinders. He would load it and spin it so I had no idea what was where. That taught me how to focus and not flinch.

ok and since i dont have one of those... what do i do :confused:

TriggerTime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    If its a semi-auto, have Big load you some magazines with snap caps mixed with live rounds. That helps you see just exactly what you are doing, how you flinch -- which you already know you are doing so that's only part of the fix. Try lighter loads and concentrate on keeping your wrist firm and your eyes open -- look to see cases ejecting (again, if its a semi) or if its a revolver, seeing the barrel rise.

You might also want to consider different grips, better hearing and eye protection and spending time with a .22 pistol to focus on the mechanics and then work your way back up.

I had that problem with a Sako 7mm mag that was brutal on recoil. Fixed that with a big Packmayr Decelerator and mercury insert.

Good luck and good shooting.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Maybe i need to buy a revolver after my xd. lol A big one. Or I could go to the cop shop (GT's) and get some dummies and scatter them in the mag.
    <TriggerTime beat me to it>

mclarenross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LOL. I guess I just figured everyone had a revolver. What TriggerTime suggested with an Auto will work. Basically you need to just practice not flinching. Remember that the shot should be a surprise every time the gun goes off. If you are thinking about the recoil when it goes off you will flinch. Concentrate on the sights and getting back on target for the next shot.

Bigs Wife

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Cedar Park
    I know its frustrating trying to work out an involuntary issue. Im a 4-H shooting sports instructor and have to break kids of their bad habits all the time. Hell I still have bad habits that I should break.

its just the fact that i know im doing it and for some reason just can't stop and i can't pull the trigger back slow either cuz then its even worse.. i'll flinch wayyyy before ive even shot.. :banghead:

mclarenross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What gun are you using?? Is it a long heavy double action only gun? That could be a lot of your problem. I cant shoot those guns well either. They pull it so long that I pull every shot. I shoot a 1911 for that reason. Short light trigger with not creep or slack. With along double action trigger, put the second pad of the trigger finger on the trigger, not the tip like a rifle or shot gun. Then make a steady even pull all the way back, untill the gun goes off. Dont concentrate on the trigger pull, that should be automatic, concentrate on your sights.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Mrs. Big, You can fix that problem before you go to the range. First, be sure the weapon is UNLOADED... then dry fire as much as possable. Dummy rounds and mixed power rounds are fine for finding the problem. Fixing the problem is done through practice. Put a target on the wall at home and hold and squeeze until the hammer falls. Concentrate on your sight alignment all the while. Then go out to the range and do exactly as you did at home. The problem will go away. MG

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Mrs. Big, You can fix that problem before you go to the range. First, be sure the weapon is UNLOADED... then dry fire as much as possable. Dummy rounds and mixed power rounds are fine for finding the problem. Fixing the problem is done through practice. Put a target on the wall at home and hold and squeeze until the hammer falls. Concentrate on your sight alignment all the while. Then go out to the range and do exactly as you did at home. The problem will go away. MG

+1 Muscle memory is the only way.

Bigs Wife

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Cedar Park
    What gun are you using?? Is it a long heavy double action only gun? That could be a lot of your problem. I cant shoot those guns well either. They pull it so long that I pull every shot. I shoot a 1911 for that reason. Short light trigger with not creep or slack. With along double action trigger, put the second pad of the trigger finger on the trigger, not the tip like a rifle or shot gun. Then make a steady even pull all the way back, untill the gun goes off. Dont concentrate on the trigger pull, that should be automatic, concentrate on your sights.

no, big and i were going over this last night.. its sa/da. im not a hundred percent sure about anything else except its a cz.... 40?
    <oh wait.. i think its a cz 75.. maybe, shoot idk.. big?>

Bigs Wife

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Cedar Park

thanks! i will most definitely try this tonight.. but i was informed that i am to not try anything any of yall tell me until he gets home from work... bummer

Bigs Wife

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Cedar Park
    ok... as far as the sight alignment goes, let me make sure im doing that right too... im supposed to line up the back with the front and then the target ... right?

mclarenross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is proper sight alignment.
    marks_3_sa.jpg

Top Bottom