• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedyG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2015
    I have a new .22 cal plinker and want to get my 9 yr old son some practice. He's only shot an air rifle up to this point so I'm looking for a range to get him some experience with it.

I'm looking for a range where we can shoot at steel targets (my own or provided by the range). I'm thinking it will be more interesting for him to hit steel spinners etc. instead of just paper targets.

Can anyone recommend somewhere in the area? I'm in north central San Antonio, but am will to make short drives.

Thanks,
    Speedy
    Lynx Defense

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    Welcome to TGT... Someone from SA will give some good recommendations... head over to the introduction section and introduce yourself....
    Glad to hear one more dad teaching the young ones about firearms....

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Howdy! Thanks for the introduction.

No steel targets to be found on any range close-in.

Nothing wrong with paper targets the boy gets to take home and pin on his wall. Steel targets have a nasty habit of spitting lead and copper jackets back at the shooter.

Take baby steps ...

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    He's old enough for 4-H shooting sports. You can have him shooting silhouettes.

I started at 7 at appelts hill just north of Hallettsville, TX. Really fun. Way better than paper.

SpeedyG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2015
    Thanks all for the info! There's a range we can shoot paper targets near by that I'm sure we'll visit plenty...and yes, I'm sure he'll want to hang on to his first rimfire paper target forever :)

I'm going to check out LoneStar. It sounds like they might have what I'm looking after. I've about the Bullet hole, but never Blackhawk, so they'll be on the list as we make our rounds to check out the different ranges.

Thanks again,
    Speedy

ertatta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2015
    really enjoyed my time out at "A Place to Shoot" this past wednesday. it's been a few years since i was out at "the Bullethole," but i will say that i will not be returning after my experience a couple days ago at APTS.

Top Bottom