• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • APynckel

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Houston, Tx
    First and foremost, thanks for any information you might share.

I live in north Houston. I have a 24" AR15 in 6.5 Grendel that I need to do load workups on (chronograph, ladder test). I'm looking for a range that offers up to 300 yards, open benches at ground level, doesn't mind Title II NFA items (suppressors, SBRs), and will allow time for someone to set up the tools necessary to develop loads.

I've been shooting at ASC since I was very young, but there is too much jackassery going on there now, and on the weekends you are lucky to even get a bench these days. Not to mention, 300 yards is uncovered. The "hard" cease fires are a bit of a pita, sometimes leaving me in the middle of a 5 shot group having to unload a chambered round, and then everyone bothering you about "Oooh, shiny equipment".

Thunder Gun's benches are horrible, and I can't get my chrono up high enough to shoot through.

Carter Country doesn't offer anything beyond 100 yards, and the last time I was there, they forbid me from putting extra shoot n see's on my target for separate groupings.

I suppose I've gotten to the point where I want to shoot in peace, do my business, get my data, and gtfo. I know I'm not going to find a range that's going to be vacant, but could anyone offer a range that might suit my needs?
    Military Camp

APynckel

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Houston, Tx
    This post wasn't necessarily dedicated to wanting to go to pubic ranges. If there is a private range that has what I need, I'd be interested in that, assuming membership isn't the cost of a hunting lease...

Mongo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Houston area
    What part of Houston are you in? The private range I belong to has 600 yrd with good cover concrete benches. Its BASC but I'm not sure if we are open to members at this time.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Is there really that much trouble at ASC? It's been several years since I was last their and once you got past 100yds it was pretty cool. Usually they give a warning of 1 minute but they run the cease fires on a clock and you can ask when the next one is.

As for private ranges they are that expensive because they are exclusive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mongo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Houston area
    BASC was $225 for my membership and 3 guest passes for the year. One or 2 visits ot a public range with 4 people would be more than that. Its a bargain as far as I'm concerned and I have yet to have a hood rat try to muzzle sweep me. The only downside to me is the "no machine gun" rules but I can live with it.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    First and foremost, thanks for any information you might share.

I live in north Houston. I have a 24" AR15 in 6.5 Grendel that I need to do load workups on (chronograph, ladder test). I'm looking for a range that offers up to 300 yards, open benches at ground level, doesn't mind Title II NFA items (suppressors, SBRs), and will allow time for someone to set up the tools necessary to develop loads.

I've been shooting at ASC since I was very young, but there is too much jackassery going on there now, and on the weekends you are lucky to even get a bench these days. Not to mention, 300 yards is uncovered. The "hard" cease fires are a bit of a pita, sometimes leaving me in the middle of a 5 shot group having to unload a chambered round, and then everyone bothering you about "Oooh, shiny equipment".

Thunder Gun's benches are horrible, and I can't get my chrono up high enough to shoot through.

Carter Country doesn't offer anything beyond 100 yards, and the last time I was there, they forbid me from putting extra shoot n see's on my target for separate groupings.

I suppose I've gotten to the point where I want to shoot in peace, do my business, get my data, and gtfo. I know I'm not going to find a range that's going to be vacant, but could anyone offer a range that might suit my needs?

lmao ! I get that sometimes and it can be a pita. Your comments made me laugh. What barrel are you using?

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    BASC was $225 for my membership and 3 guest passes for the year. One or 2 visits ot a public range with 4 people would be more than that. Its a bargain as far as I'm concerned and I have yet to have a hood rat try to muzzle sweep me. The only downside to me is the "no machine gun" rules but I can live with it.
    I accidently came across that range before. Didnt really think they had many members.

wbstx11

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    If you find such a range, please let me know. The public ranges are just too dangerous! Last time I was at ASC there was some bozo with a "pistol" AK that couldn't hit the berm - and they let him keep shooting! He probably had a better chance of hitting a bird or another shooter than he did the target. I ditto your last paragraph.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    If you find such a range, please let me know. The public ranges are just too dangerous! Last time I was at ASC there was some bozo with a "pistol" AK that couldn't hit the berm - and they let him keep shooting! He probably had a better chance of hitting a bird or another shooter than he did the target. I ditto your last paragraph.
    Ccc in navasota.

Top Bottom