• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Hello, I'm new to reloading (just really got my set up built and ready to go.) I remember reading somewhere (can't remember where) that you can't shoot reloads out of standard Glock barrel. Said that it required an aftermarket barrel.

Anyway. What is the truth? I've got Berry plated bullets that I'm loading pretty light (the starting loads anyway). I've doing this for target practise.

Thanks.
    Guns International

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's not the reloads themselves, it's the lead bullets that cause problems. They will foul the polygonal rifling incredibly quick. Coated might be able to float, I would shoot 20 - 30 of them and see how much fouling is in the barrel.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    I reload for my Glocks in 9MM, .40 S&W and .45ACP with no problems at all. I have shot several thousand of each. I use Rainier plated bullets and as previously stated, keep velocities under 1200 FPS.

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    Fouling with lead in a GLock barrel is a common warning, but if you load with harder lead, watch your velocities, and keep an eye on the fouling you should be safe.

I shoot in two steel matches a month and usually manage to get squaded with the same group of guys, almost all of which are glock shooters. Two (G17L and G24) of them run lead exclusicely, one runs Berry's plated (G35), and a fourth runs Ranier or someone elses plated through a G24. They've been shooting them for several years, and not had any problems and they are all running stock barrels, heck the guy with the G17L has one of the older ported OEM barrels in his. He gets a little more soot and some leading on the slide and optic sight. The two plated shooters say they clean whenever they think about it (usually every 3 to 4 matches) the lead guys I think run a bore snake after each match.

If you root around on some of the forums on the net besides this fine site, you'll find alot of folks shoot lead with the usual statement that they tend to shoot harder caste slugs that they buy and not that they caste themselves. The two shooters I know use bullets caste by a guy at the club for commercial sale. I think the brand is Keith or something like that.

If you are worried though, snag a affordable after market barrel and go with that. The savings with loading caste slugs over plated or FMJ (about $25 - 40/500) will pay for the upgrade fairly qucikly, plus lower powder charges save you some money and the cases will last a wee bit longer with the lower pressures.

Be warned though, almost all after market barrels come with some type of match chamber spec which is usually tighter then the more forgiving Glock OEM. So you will want to make sure you test fit some dummy cartridges. I can't stress this one enough. I loaded up some 147 grain bullets for my race gun and sized a few wrong or something. Nothing like getting a live round lodged in the chamber with the gun about 5mm out of battery. Not enough to shoot it and I couldn't get the gun a to manually cycle the round.

I've also heard that some die sets don't mix well with them, but no one as been able to give consistent info.

malladus

Top Bottom