• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedRaptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Austin
    Hey guys, I'm planning to head down to Buda tomorrow (my only day off this week!) to pick up one of the 30+ Mosins I was told Cabela's currently has sitting around on sale.

Anything in particular I should know about choosing a Mosin? Never bought milsurp or "used" before; my Marlin had barely 100 or so rounds through it when I got it and my FNP was brand new.

So far I've been told to take a bore light and inspect the bore for pitting, to pick a hexed receiver over a round one if possible, look for matching receiver/stock serials, and to try and get one that isn't completely oozing in cosmoline (somehow, I get the feeling that describes ALL of them).

What about other things though, like manufacture date, arsenal (Tula vs Ishvesk?), etc? What does a "bright" bore look like? The trigger should feel "crisp," right? How can I differentiate between a laminated and unlaminated stock (I realize it sounds like an obvious thing, but one can never be too careful)? In addition, how is the Cabela's store-brand 7.62x54R as far as value/reliability, assuming they still have some for just over $10 a box? Should I be getting earmuffs as well to replace my plugs, given the exceptionally loud report of the 91/30?

I know it sounds like a lot of questions for a cheap $100 rifle, but at the same time, I can't really afford to throw money away like this regularly, so I want to make sure I get the most bang for my buck, no pun intended.

Thanks in advance.
    DK Firearms

netstorm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Texas
    I took a quick look at them when I was there this last week. The prices were like $169 retail I think, and most of them looked pretty beat up. I actually plan to get a Mosin also, since they are great guns.

I'm probably going to get one from Aim Surplus for $69.95, and pay the extra $10 so they hand pick it. Heres a thread with reviews for them. The AK Files Forums - Aim surplus mosin nagants.

Seems everyone is happy with them, check it out if you have a chance.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    If you buy it and have fun with it, or hunt something to eat, or even just enjoy the looks and feel, then you did not "throw money away."
    A bright bore will reflect light allowing you to see the rifling. Rust and pitting will be much darker. Sometimes its hard to tell in a dirty barrel. If its generally smooth with clear twisting lines, its probably at least a good shooter.

TexasR.N.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Rampart
    169.00??? I paid 110.00 for mine at a pawn shop out the door. If that is the price shop around. Also, these guns have a pretty good kick to them and a metal butt plate. A recoil pad has made the gun more fun to shoot for me.

Craig

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    i would only pay 169 for a carbine which are kinda hard to find
    try aim surplus pay the 20 dollar ffl fee and your only at 89 bucks for a top notch rifle from a top notch company.
    also the metal butt plate does sucks but a cheap <10 dollar butt pad will help and they are pretty loud but you begin to like the sound after a while. i have quite a few rifles and my mosin m38 is my favorite by far.

RedRaptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Austin
    Went ahead and picked up a Mosin from them today - though I'm well aware I can get it a bit cheaper online, nothing beats being able to go down and personally inspect the rifle for maybe $10 or so more after FFL and shipping fees. Plus I got to chat up the cute girl running the firearms checkout, so that's always a plus. ;)

Spent the last 4 hours or so trying to get the cosmoline out. Ran a super-hot soapy bath (to the point where it was literally steaming as it came out of the faucet) over all the metal parts after disassembly, while pouring boiling water over it periodically. Then I went through, dried each piece, cleaned off any remaining cosmo I could see with a Q-tip or toothbrush, cleaned the bore with Hoppe's #9 after the bath, and lubricated everything with CLP. HOPEFULLY that should be enough to get the vast majority of the cosmoline out of the metal parts - any residue I saw, I cleaned. As for the stock...different story. Currently using a mineral spirit thinner thing I got to try and get the cosmoline out bit by bit with some paper towels and elbow grease, but I'm not too worried about it being in the stock so much as in the other parts.

As for ammo, I bought a couple of boxes of Herter's while I was there, since it was on sale for $10.80/20rds. It's steel-cased stuff, which I haven't used before, and the box says it's non-corrosive. Basically all I need to do is make sure I give my rifle a thorough cleaning like always and I should be fine no matter what I feed this thing, right? Anyone had experience with this particular brand's 7.62x54R? I've fired the caliber before, but all my prior experience was on a friend's rifle using Prvi Partizan and Brown Bear ammo.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    Spent the last 4 hours or so trying to get the cosmoline out. Ran a super-hot soapy bath (to the point where it was literally steaming as it came out of the faucet) over all the metal parts after disassembly, while pouring boiling water over it periodically. Then I went through, dried each piece, cleaned off any remaining cosmo I could see with a Q-tip or toothbrush, cleaned the bore with Hoppe's #9 after the bath, and lubricated everything with CLP. HOPEFULLY that should be enough to get the vast majority of the cosmoline out of the metal parts - any residue I saw, I cleaned. As for the stock...different story. Currently using a mineral spirit thinner thing I got to try and get the cosmoline out bit by bit with some paper towels and elbow grease, but I'm not too worried about it being in the stock so much as in the other parts.

If you already have the wood and metal separate, toss the wood parts in the dishwasher WITHOUT DETERGENT and run it on potscrubber. It'll pull all the cosmo out, as well as the dents, dings, imperfections out of the wood. You'll need to do some light sanding and refinish it, but it'll be a brand new stock that will never bleed cosmo on a hot range day.

As for ammo, I bought a couple of boxes of Herter's while I was there, since it was on sale for $10.80/20rds. It's steel-cased stuff, which I haven't used before, and the box says it's non-corrosive. Basically all I need to do is make sure I give my rifle a thorough cleaning like always and I should be fine no matter what I feed this thing, right? Anyone had experience with this particular brand's 7.62x54R? I've fired the caliber before, but all my prior experience was on a friend's rifle using Prvi Partizan and Brown Bear ammo.

On SALE for $11/box!

You can get 400+ rds in a spam can for about $75.

RedRaptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Austin
    Also aware of the spam can prices. However, I'd rather have 40 rounds I probably won't even burn through in a range trip for $20 and be able to push the other $55 towards 9mm Luger.

That, and I really can't afford to just blow $75 on ammo for ONE rifle right now that I won't use remotely as much as my FNP - the $100 price tag was significant enough for my budget.

TexasR.N.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Rampart
    Congrats on the purchase. I enjoy shooting my Mosin and probably put more rounds thru it than anything else I own. I buy the brown bear as well around 11.00 for a box.

Craig

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I love Mosins, got something like 21 of them (of all sorts and variates); they are great milsurps.

The best place for info on them is: 7.62x54r.net

Be aware that 7.62x54 has a bit of a kick to it! But the carbines make some beautiful fireballs when shot at dawn or dusk! And the historical aspects of them are really appealing to me!

And of course, Mosin owners have a great sense of humor!

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom