• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hobie Dog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    San Marcos, Texas
    First, let me clarify. I am going to vent on a topic that we all deal with. There is absolutely no intention of offending anyone. It's kind of a question I guess.

When I go shopping there are a number of stores that ask at the register: "Are you law enforcement, EMT, firefighter, military or school teacher?" If so, you get a discount. (varies depending on store).

My normal reply is: "No, I'm the tax payer that pays their salaries."

To which they turn red and say, "Sorry, that doesn't count."

It's not that I don't appreciate the services rendered by these people. BUT, enough already. The exception is the military. They don't make squat. But I have never had the salaries of EMT or police, especially in Austin area. They get paid really well, with benefits that I could only dream of.

Over all, government employees now get 1/3 to 1/2 higher incomes than the private sector for the same job. The government's reply is, "The private sector better step up." The challenge is, we have to pay taxes.

I'm self employed. My policy is to give NON-government employees and business owners the best price I can afford. Military people get a little better. Government employees pay full price. Politicians pay cash in advance.

Am I just twisted?
    Texas SOT

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I see nothing wrong with giving someone a discount based on their occupation, it's up to the owner of the business. I've seen this too, no issue. I have not noticed my price being any higher, they just let them have it for less. That is money out of the business owners pocket, not mine. If their price was higher, I would buy my product somewhere else.

It seems to me that they are offering a little respect to occupations that don't always get it. You don't even know why they offer the discount....maybe the owner used to be a fireman, policeman, or teacher. Who knows.

I delivered phone books when I was younger. When the guys come around delivering phone books now, I offer them a Coke or water. Why? Because I have been there. It might not be the best example, but I think it will suffice to illustrate what I am trying to say.

Longtooths

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Irving, Texas
    You seem to assume that the discount is based on the fact that these people are paid less than the private sector. I tend to think it is for other reasons like respect and a thank you for services they provide.

Anyone in the business of saving lives, EMT, Police, Firefighter or Military, I respect first and I appreciate them stepping up and doing the dirty jobs that I am not able to do. I would offer these people a better deal on a service for that reason.

Teachers I would offer a helping hand to because of the deplorable conditions and idiot kids they have to put up with day in and day out. Not to mention on your scale they are paid less than they should be. Imagine if you had to spend a month of Sundays dealing with teen age hellions…I think the logic behind giving these people a break would become abundantly clear.

Just my 2 cents

hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    I agree with Longtooths, it's not about what they get paid, it's more of a respect thing.

BTW, I'm one of the military guys, and I pay my taxes just like you, so I pay a bunch of my salary to myself. ;)

Austin Cowart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Lumberton Texas
    But

Then why not Garbage Men? I mean dang I am very happy that I have 2 guys come by my house and take away my stinking crap. I respect them. I don’t agree that it should be based on what you get paid but come on if a doctor or surgeon drove up in their jag and then asked for a discount you would say hell no but they save lives too. All of our service men and women deserve our respect but dang I can’t see why they deserve special treatment. Tell them that you appreciate and respect what they do for us every day but always remember that they weren’t forced to do what they do they chose it.

Longtooths

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Irving, Texas
    Then why not Garbage Men? I mean dang I am very happy that I have 2 guys come by my house and take away my stinking crap. I respect them. I don’t agree that it should be based on what you get paid but come on if a doctor or surgeon drove up in their jag and then asked for a discount you would say hell no but they save lives too. All of our service men and women deserve our respect but dang I can’t see why they deserve special treatment. Tell them that you appreciate and respect what they do for us every day but always remember that they weren’t forced to do what they do they chose it.

The awesome thing about this country is you can dislike it all you like and I can continue to show my appreciation to whomever I wish. Btw I tip my garbage men every Christmas!

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I could understand the police and fire fighters, but not the EMT. It's not like the EMT have to tackle crackheads, or run into a 10 story flaming building to save people. I understand they provide a valuable service, but they are justly compensated for that.

The military goes without saying. The enlisted soldiers don't make squat, and they risk their lives every day.

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    I don't have any problem with anyone getting a discount. But, I found something interesting when I was in the military. My best friend, who is an airline pilot, thought the people in the military did not have to pay income tax! I wonder how many people in the U.S. have this misconception?

Longtooths

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Irving, Texas
    I could understand the police and fire fighters, but not the EMT. It's not like the EMT have to tackle crackheads, or run into a 10 story flaming building to save people. I understand they provide a valuable service, but they are justly compensated for that.

The military goes without saying. The enlisted soldiers don't make squat, and they risk their lives every day.

Correction, EMTS make far less than you think. Buddy of mine could not find anything better than 12/hr upon graduation for an EMT. He took it and work for perhaps 6 months before he quit. He ran into all types of drugged out crazies, dead babies, drunk and disorderly, prostitues with nasty nasty nasty stuffs etc etc.

Austin Cowart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Lumberton Texas
    The awesome thing about this country is you can dislike it all you like and I can continue to show my appreciation to whomever I wish. Btw I tip my garbage men every Christmas!

And it wonderful that we can all expess our opinions in this nation as well and I never said I disliked our service men and women getting discounts and I do believe that any man or woman has the right to show their respect and admaration in any way they choose I just dont see why certian people should get certian treatment based on the line of work that they choose to persue.

Longtooths

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Irving, Texas
    And it wonderful that we can all expess our opinions in this nation as well and I never said I disliked our service men and women getting discounts and I do believe that any man or woman has the right to show their respect and admaration in any way they choose I just dont see why certian people should get certian treatment based on the line of work that they choose to persue.

How about a different vein. Who are some people that you do respect and feel deserve preferential treatment?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Correction, EMTS make far less than you think. Buddy of mine could not find anything better than 12/hr upon graduation for an EMT. He took it and work for perhaps 6 months before he quit. He ran into all types of drugged out crazies, dead babies, drunk and disorderly, prostitues with nasty nasty nasty stuffs etc etc.

In my area EMT's get paid very well. My friend is an EMT in Travis county.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I stand corrected. I still respect the job they do and the stuff they have to deal with enough to give them preferential treatment.

If people want to give them a discount then that's up to them. I don't think it's wrong for them to do it. Just different strokes for different folks.

They aren't going to lose out. Whataburger gives away food to police officers, and without fail there are usually 2 cops at any given time at Whataburger after midnight on the late night shift. Keeps the riff-raff away, and they get to give back to the PD.

Austin Cowart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Lumberton Texas
    How about a different vein. Who are some people that you do respect and feel deserve preferential treatment?

To stay on topic I honestly don’t believe that any man or woman deserves "special" treatment based on the job that he or she has chosen to undertake, regardless if it’s behind a desk, on the mean streets of a city, or on the front lines of a battle field. This doesn’t mean that I don’t respect what they do nor do I think that they should they be denied what their job provides such as health benefits or retirement if I wanted what they have in benefits or perks I would work that job as well right beside them. I choose how I make a living as do they. Again I reiterate the fact that I have the upmost respect for any man or woman who puts themselves in harms way for another I just don’t believe that they deserve special treatment for doing what they get paid to do.

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    Looks like free-market capitalism in action to me. If you own the store/business, you can give a discount (or not) to anyone you please as you see fit. If you don't own the business, then you have no say at all as to how they conduct it, just the freedom to shop elsewhere.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I wish Vets and active military got bigger discounts.I did not make squat when I was enlisted.I can see discounts for leo guns and equipment but it has gotten way out of hand.

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    In my area EMT's get paid very well. My friend is an EMT in Travis county.

Starting pay in Travis County is $35,000/year. Not bad, but not great either. TC EMS isn't all that big either. Most of the other emergency services in Travis County only pay about $12/hour. Paramedics on the other hand get paid very nice. A firefighter/paramedic combo is going to net you around $80,000/year.

Think of it more like a brotherhood. Look at alot of the places that are giving these discounts. Think about what the owner's/managers did before they went into that business. I think you will find that alot of those individuals were in a career field that they give discounts to. You can't fault that.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    A firefighter/paramedic combo is going to net you around $80,000/year.

Yep, that's what my friend is. It doesn't take long to work your way up to that, she did it in about 3 years. She's pretty ambitious and strong willed though. I don't think she makes quite that much, but she's doing pretty good.

Top Bottom