• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    Does anyone know what the deal is with ATF and short barrel shotguns?

1. What is considered legal length and what length requires and ATF stamp?

2. What is a good place to go to find short barrelled shotguns?

3. What's a good price for a short barrelled 870?

Thanks,

Chris
    Texas SOT

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Does anyone know what the deal is with ATF and short barrel shotguns?

1. What is considered legal length and what length requires and ATF stamp?

2. What is a good place to go to find short barrelled shotguns?

3. What's a good price for a short barrelled 870?

Thanks,

Chris

Shotguns must have a minimum barrel length of 18" and overall length of at least 26" or it requires the ATF stamp.

Federal and state law.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    How much is the tax stamp for that?

$200 for a SBS (Short Barrel Shotgun)

If you buy a pistol grip shotgun it's considered a pistol by the ATF, so the overall length doesn't apply until you put a stock on it. Then it becomes a shotgun, and must have a barrel of 18" or greater, and overall length of 26" or greater.

If the barrel of the pistol grip shotgun is less than 18" then it is considered an AOW (Any Other Weapon). That requires a $200 manufacture stamp to construct, and a $5 transfer stamp.

If you put a stock on the pistol grip AOW, then it becomes an SBS. You then need to have it registered as an SBS.

CALI

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Round Rock
    Google for Class III firearms dealer around your area or neighbooring city/county. They should be able to point you to the right direction on paper work, Trust, sign offs etc. They are the ones that can order it for you or they may even have one already available.

Good Luck.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    P.S. And if you want to make a shotgun barrel shorter via hacksaw or radiac wheel,
    let it be 1/2 inch longer than 18 inches so there will be no costly mistakes as per the Idaho massacre by the Feds.....From what I gathered the man may have cut off 1/4 inch too much barrel, His son, wife, and dogs were killed during the raid. A trained sniper by the name of Horiuchi killed his wife while she was holding their baby. She was not involved in the gunfight.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    P.S. And if you want to make a shotgun barrel shorter via hacksaw or radiac wheel,
    let it be 1/2 inch longer than 18 inches so there will be no costly mistakes as per the Idaho massacre by the Feds.....From what I gathered the man may have cut off 1/4 inch too much barrel, His son, wife, and dogs were killed during the raid. A trained sniper by the name of Horiuchi killed his wife while she was holding their baby. She was not involved in the gunfight.

Can we PLEASE not turn this into a LEO bashing thread?!!!!! Your account is less than accurate and irreleavant to someone having an 18 inch barrel.

Really, please.......

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Yea, that's rather sensationalist. It is a common practice to make the barrels at 18.5" to ensure compliance, but at the point you are talking about an NFA weapon, you really aren't concerned with barrel length as that's what defines it as NFA.

Let's stay on topic.

gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    Thanks or all the help. In the interest of not letting this thread spin off into oblivion, does anyone know what a good starting place (price-wise) would be for a short 870? Not one of those little 10" spray-n-pray things with a pistol grip. I'm more interested in an 870 with solid butttstck and shorter barrel..... Based in the photos I've seen of them they appear to be closer to 14" or so.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Thanks or all the help. In the interest of not letting this thread spin off into oblivion, does anyone know what a good starting place (price-wise) would be for a short 870? Not one of those little 10" spray-n-pray things with a pistol grip. I'm more interested in an 870 with solid butttstck and shorter barrel..... Based in the photos I've seen of them they appear to be closer to 14" or so.

My suggestion is this:

Buy a standard 870, and buy a shortened barrel assembly. It'll come with the shortened magazine, etc. Doing that you can buy a bird barrel and have the duality of a bird gun and defense shotgun. You can go bird hunting now, while you wait on the stamp.

Make sure you don't have the barrel until you get the stamp, the police can get you with Constructive Possession if you have all the components to interchange the barrel. It's a stupid law, but it is what it is. Technically, if you buy a pistol grip 870 you can own the short barrel as the shotgun is a pistol ... and is not regulated in overall length.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Well, excuse me !!! I don't usually step on LEO toes as having been one a long time ago...LEOs being necessary for the peace and dignity of the general law abiding population, they of good behavior are my heroes.

So, my friend, lets not get into a p-ssing match over my opinion of the acts of Federal Officers at times. Recent FBI's watchful eye and arrests of
    would be terriorists and bombers by the FBI is outstanding and deserves
    our thanks.

I suppose we recall the bad acts of people more readily than their meritorious ones which often is not fair in the overall picture.

Have a nice day !

gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    Well, excuse me !!! I don't usually step on LEO toes as having been one a long time ago...LEOs being necessary for the peace and dignity of the general law abiding population, they of good behavior are my heroes.

So, my friend, lets not get into a p-ssing match over my opinion of the acts of Federal Officers at times. Recent FBI's watchful eye and arrests of
    would be terriorists and bombers by the FBI is outstanding and deserves
    our thanks.

I suppose we recall the bad acts of people more readily than their meritorious ones which often is not fair in the overall picture.

Have a nice day !

Thanks for the heads up. Do you have a short barreled shotgun? If so which one? Any photos?

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Yes, I have an 18 1/2 inch barreled Winchester Mod. 1897 which I shortened for Cowboy Action shooting some years back. I had a legal short barreled coach gun but the Winchester replaced it. Sorry, no photo as the batteries on the camera are kaput this morning.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Yes, I have an 18 1/2 inch barreled Winchester Mod. 1897 which I shortened for Cowboy Action shooting some years back. I had a legal short barreled coach gun but the Winchester replaced it. Sorry, no photo as the batteries on the camera are kaput this morning.

He's talking about an SBS, NFA shotgun.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Go to a pawnshop and pick up a cheap 870.

Do the form 1, send it off.

When it comes back, either get a 14" barrel or cut the existing barrel.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom