shotgun in vehicle laws

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by Dusty Rivers, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Dusty Rivers

Dusty Rivers New Member

Apr 22, 2008
    What are the Texas laws regarding carrying a loaded shotgun in a vehicle? Does it make a difference if you have a Concelled Carry permit?

2. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    You can find all gun laws on-line. But long guns are not restricted so yes, you can carry a shotgun in your car, in your truck in a gun rack or on your motorcycle if you are so compelled.

What's legal and sensible are 2 different things sometimes though. :D

3. stockFD3S

stockFD3S Active Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Leon Valley, TX
    Wish I could find the picture of the guy on a motorcycle with an AK on his back.

4. machinisttx

machinisttx Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Under the old law, you could have a rifle or shotgun(or both) in your vehicle but not a handgun.

Under the new law, you can have any of them or all three if you so desire.

The only difference is that a handgun needs to be completely concealed from view. Rifles and shotguns can be carried anywhere in the vehicle openly or concealed.

5. 1Andy2

1Andy2 Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Beeville
    You may see me doing that if gas gets much higher.

6. brainiac

brainiac Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    LOL, I used to ride with a guy who welded a vertical post to the bottom of the trigger guard of an old .38 revolver, and welded that to the top triple tree of his knucklehead chopper (after having the whole assembly chromed) so that the .38 was a little above the level of his handlebars but pointed straight forward (actually, whatever way the front wheel was turned). It bought him lots of space from car drivers but tons of hassle from cops, even though it was technically legal. Way not worth it to me, but obviously his mileage varied...

7. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I know I'm beating a dead horse, but it's important to understand that handgun and long gun laws are not one in the same. The change in law that allows concealed carry in your car has nothing to do with long guns.

I'm being anal, but laws are anal. :D

8. DrBart2

DrBart2 Active Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    Two years ago my son and I rode my motorcycle to a gun show in Denton. We were only planning to look, but I found a deal on a Mosin Nagant that I couldn't pass up. Unfortunately it wasn't the carbine! So, my son held it across his lap on the way home to Burleson ( about an hours drive which included going through the Fort Worth mix-master) I did put the gun in a gun sock though. Non-gun owners probably never knew what it was. I expected to be stopped by a police officer just to see what we were up to. I knew we were legal though. Would you believe we didn't see an officer the whole way! I kinda wanted to be stopped just to talk to someone about the gun and the great deal.:o
    btw it shoots very well.

9. I've seen a guy on a motorcycle with a rifle slung on his back.

I'm so tempted to put a gun rack on my 2004 Ford Mustang just for the heck of it.

10. Joat

Joat Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    I rode down to the last gun show at GRB in Houston with a dbl barrel coach gun strapped to my back at about 11:00 o'clock down I-10 and 59. I got stopped by a Houston Metro officer who was real nervous for the first couple of minutes after pulling me over. After a brief conversation on the side of the road, I was instructed to "put it in a gun case" :eek:, when I pointed out to him that I didn't have one with me, I was reluctantly allowed to continue after much head scratching and a lecture that I politely ignored.

Calmly and respectfully are the only way to communicate with some of Houston's finest. (As I really didn't want to waste my Sat as a guest of the city.)

Joat