• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dusty Rivers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    What are the Texas laws regarding carrying a loaded shotgun in a vehicle? Does it make a difference if you have a Concelled Carry permit?
    Venture Surplus ad

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    You can find all gun laws on-line. But long guns are not restricted so yes, you can carry a shotgun in your car, in your truck in a gun rack or on your motorcycle if you are so compelled.

What's legal and sensible are 2 different things sometimes though. :D

machinisttx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Under the old law, you could have a rifle or shotgun(or both) in your vehicle but not a handgun.

Under the new law, you can have any of them or all three if you so desire.

The only difference is that a handgun needs to be completely concealed from view. Rifles and shotguns can be carried anywhere in the vehicle openly or concealed.

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    ...you can carry a shotgun in your car, in your truck in a gun rack or on your motorcycle if you are so compelled.

What's legal and sensible are 2 different things sometimes though. :D

Wish I could find the picture of the guy on a motorcycle with an AK on his back.

LOL, I used to ride with a guy who welded a vertical post to the bottom of the trigger guard of an old .38 revolver, and welded that to the top triple tree of his knucklehead chopper (after having the whole assembly chromed) so that the .38 was a little above the level of his handlebars but pointed straight forward (actually, whatever way the front wheel was turned). It bought him lots of space from car drivers but tons of hassle from cops, even though it was technically legal. Way not worth it to me, but obviously his mileage varied...

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I know I'm beating a dead horse, but it's important to understand that handgun and long gun laws are not one in the same. The change in law that allows concealed carry in your car has nothing to do with long guns.

I'm being anal, but laws are anal. :D

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    Two years ago my son and I rode my motorcycle to a gun show in Denton. We were only planning to look, but I found a deal on a Mosin Nagant that I couldn't pass up. Unfortunately it wasn't the carbine! So, my son held it across his lap on the way home to Burleson ( about an hours drive which included going through the Fort Worth mix-master) I did put the gun in a gun sock though. Non-gun owners probably never knew what it was. I expected to be stopped by a police officer just to see what we were up to. I knew we were legal though. Would you believe we didn't see an officer the whole way! I kinda wanted to be stopped just to talk to someone about the gun and the great deal.:o
    btw it shoots very well.

Joat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    I rode down to the last gun show at GRB in Houston with a dbl barrel coach gun strapped to my back at about 11:00 o'clock down I-10 and 59. I got stopped by a Houston Metro officer who was real nervous for the first couple of minutes after pulling me over. After a brief conversation on the side of the road, I was instructed to "put it in a gun case" :eek:, when I pointed out to him that I didn't have one with me, I was reluctantly allowed to continue after much head scratching and a lecture that I politely ignored.

Calmly and respectfully are the only way to communicate with some of Houston's finest. (As I really didn't want to waste my Sat as a guest of the city.)

Joat

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I took my AR15 on my motorcycle(in its assault case)and was on my way to my gunsmith when I was run off the road by a van full of secret service agents.They took my rifle and my 45(CCW) and detained me until a marked police unit arrived.The cop told the agents that they had illegally detained me as it is legal,especially since I had the rifle in two pieces and I had my CCL.These agents were from out of state and totally freaked out when they saw me.Glad I did not get shot because they ran me off the road and I had my CCW and was about to shoot them because I thought I was being robbed as these guys did not identify themselves until I was about to go for my weapon.I will not carry any rifles on my bike anymore because of this incident.I never recieved an apology or a reimbursement for the damage to my bike,which was thrown down by the agents.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I took my AR15 on my motorcycle(in its assault case)and was on my way to my gunsmith when I was run off the road by a van full of secret service agents.They took my rifle and my 45(CCW) and detained me until a marked police unit arrived.The cop told the agents that they had illegally detained me as it is legal,especially since I had the rifle in two pieces and I had my CCL.These agents were from out of state and totally freaked out when they saw me.Glad I did not get shot because they ran me off the road and I had my CCW and was about to shoot them because I thought I was being robbed as these guys did not identify themselves until I was about to go for my weapon.I will not carry any rifles on my bike anymore because of this incident.I never recieved an apology or a reimbursement for the damage to my bike,which was thrown down by the agents.

If all that is accurate, that deserved a major media blitz and a law suit. Completely unacceptable...

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I filed a suit but could not sue the government.My lawyer was not good enough.I did also file a complaint with the head agent in town but nothing was done.Never thought about going to the media,too late now.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

Wow, government Gestapo.

DEFKON99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    san antonio
    So.... Ok you can carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in your car correct?
    Now is this in the trunk or beside you while operating the vehicle?

..run it by me again with a handgun....? I would need a CHL to have it in my car or ?? :confused:

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    HB1815 states that a legally owned firearm (handgun)can be carried concealled in your car.There is a link about it in the gun law section.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    So.... Ok you can carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in your car correct?
    Now is this in the trunk or beside you while operating the vehicle?

..run it by me again with a handgun....? I would need a CHL to have it in my car or ?? :confused:

Um, review the thread, but if it were me and I worded the question that way, and considering living in Texas, I'd be going straight to the Texas gun laws to start from scratch.

Although it has no baring on long guns, I assume you don't have a CHL?

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    HB1815 states that a legally owned firearm (handgun)can be carried concealled in your car.There is a link about it in the gun law section.

Actually, it clarifies what has always been legal but removes points that previously were left to interpretation.

There are a few threads that discuss it in detail.

Top Bottom