• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mwarden

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Hello,

I know you guys/gals are the right people to steer me in the right direction on this.

I know a good bit about handguns and a little about rifles, but just as a result of spending most of my adult life in urban areas and focusing mostly on handgun ownership for SD, I haven't dug into shotguns much (I don't mean to spur a debate on usefulness of shotguns for urban SD).

I am purchasing a house on 15acres in Hutto, and I want to add a shotgun to my gun safe for shooting snakes and any other undesirable animals that make their way onto the property.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Please do not underestimate how little I know about shotguns...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Phil

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    If you want a pump most folks go with a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. They are both solid platforms, the differences are mostly ergonomic in nature. I preferred the 500 because of the placement of the safety.

I really can't give any advice on autos. Although if I had my choice I'd get a Benelli M2.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Since you are new to them, a pump is the way to go. The Mossberg Maverick is a good low prices option. The Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 are a little step up in price and quality with a good aftermarket following for switching from field to HD and everything inbetween. Another step up brings you to Benelli, FN, and other big names. The aftermarket gets a little slimmer for them and the prices for parts reflects that.

If you have deep pockets and want to go right to the top for an autoloader look at Benellis. You will not be disappointed.

Just like anything else there are a ton of good options. Everybody has an opinion but it all comes down to what feels right to you.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    20ga single shot.
    #6 shot shells.

That'll take care of varmints and won't cost much.
    If you want pizzazz, the previous posts hold the answer.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    If you're new to them, I'd actually suggest an auto because you simply load it and shoot it. Remington 1100 at the least, FN SLP/Winchester SX2, or spend big on Benelli.

Shotguns are fine for snakes, but you really can't beat a carbine for home defense, though.

You do know you can get snake shot for your handguns, right? Works well.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Howdy!

For snake and varmint control, I've had good results with a break-open single shot .410 shotgun.

The only snakes I've killed were aggressive western diamondbacks that got territorial and would not leave the property. All other non-poisonous snakes should be left alone.

The .410 is effective for coons, skunks, and possums that raid the chicken coop.

Have not used it for coyotes, foxes, or hogs: .223 Rem serves that purpose admirably.

Lots of cats will reduce the rodent population which snakes hunt; cats are no match in a fight with a coon, fox, or coyote.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    If you know someone that knows corrct body position to hold one while firing get them to show you, if not, most gun stores can show you. It makes a difference. After that all the above post are good advice. Find one that feels RIGHT when brought to your shoulder within your budjet. You will shoot better and recoil will be more managable

Sent from my iPhone by a coffeeholic

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    You do know you can get snake shot for your handguns, right? Works well.
    That's the ticket for snakes and small stuff all though just because it's a snake, I don't kill it.

Sounds like you may need a 20ga with slugs and/or buckshot too.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I love my Remington 870. Birdshot is fine for snakes (and smaller varmints), a medium buckshot load for raccoons and such, and I generally use .00 buck for coyotes and larger problems.

A single-shot .410 will do the trick for snakes at a lower price, BTW.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    I love my Remington 870. Birdshot is fine for snakes (and smaller varmints), a medium buckshot load for raccoons and such, and I generally use .00 buck for coyotes and larger problems.

A single-shot .410 will do the trick for snakes at a lower price, BTW.

Not sure about the .410 doing anything at a lower price... them shot-shells be expensive. However, I have .22 bird shot in revolvers as well as .20 ga singles that are my carry around guns. Low cost, easy to use and they do not take up a lot of room ( ok so I cut the shotgun down to a bit over 18 barrel and 27 overall ). However, as previous, 88s and other Mossbergs are a reasonable way to go.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    .410 birdshot should be wildly inexpensive...and a single shot .410 (I'm thinking of a Rossi "Tuffy", which is a copy of the original Snake Charmer) can be as cheep as $100.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Hate to inform you, but if you are in Hutto proper it is against city ordinance to discharge any firearm except in a self defense scenario...even stuff like paintball guns and daisies. Technically can't even carry long guns open carry here (although I'd imagine state preemption should override it, but you might be the test case). I would at least find out if all neighbors within earshot are cool and wouldn't call the cops before trying. I'll go double check all this in a bit here but this was the case when I looked it up half a year ago. From what I hear it started because of some farmers near the Hutto Highlands subdivision were shooting rifles without a backstop like dumbasses and were taking out windows in the house under construction there. This prompted our HOA boss run city council to institute this ordinance.

All this has led to a severe overpopulation of bunnies in Hutto (they have torn up my veggie garden multiple times). If you would like I would enjoy going to a city council meeting with you and any others on here interested in learning these fools that when done properly there is no danger. There's already laws on the books about firing across property lines but ya you know how that goes with airhead antis.

Edit: Yup, its still on the books...

ARTICLE 8.06 FIREARMS*

Sec. 8.06.001 Definitions
    Firearm. Any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance, by means of compressed air, compressed gas, springs, or any other means capable of discharging shots, cartridges, pellets, missiles, projectiles or any object, or any device readily convertible to that use. Firearms specifically include, but are not limited to, the following:
    (1) Rifle;
    (2) Shotgun;
    (3) Automatic rifle;
    (4) Revolver;
    (5) Pistol;
    (6) Handgun;
    (7) Sawed-off shotgun;
    (8) Air gun;
    (9) Pellet gun;
    (10) Paintball gun;
    (11) BB gun; and
    (12) Spring gun.
    Replica firearm. Any object or device that is a toy version or facsimile of, or is reasonably likely to be perceived as, a pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, or other firearm.
    Sec. 8.06.002 Discharge prohibited
    (a) A person commits an offense if the person discharges any kind of firearm or other weapon designed for the purpose of firing or discharging a shell, cartridge, or a projectile of any kind, regardless of whether the shell or cartridge is blank or live ammunition, within the city.
    (b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that:
    (1) The person was a law enforcement peace officer acting in the performance of his or her official duty;
    (2) The person was at a shooting range operated by the United States government, the state, or a political subdivision of the state, or which is privately operated, if approved by the police department;
    (3) The person was using blank cartridges for a show or theatrical production, or for signal or ceremonial purposes in athletics or sports, or by a military organization;
    (4) The person discharged the weapon in the protection of life or property as defined in the penal statues of the state, so long as such discharge was not done in a reckless or negligent manner; or
    (5) The person was participating in an amusement arcade or paintball amusement facility or event specifically authorized or permitted by the city.
    Sec. 8.06.003 Replica firearms
    (a) A person commits an offense if he or she displays or brandishes a replica firearm within the city in a manner or under a circumstance that causes another person to:
    (1) Reasonably believe that the replica firearm is actually an operable firearm; and
    (2) Fear imminent bodily injury from a firearm.
    (b) It a defense to prosecution under this section that:
    (1) The person was a law enforcement peace officer acting in the performance of his or her official duties;
    (2) The person was at a shooting range operated by the United States government, the state, or a political subdivision of the state or which is privately operated, if approved by the police department;
    (3) The person was using blank cartridges for a show or theatrical production, or for signal or ceremonial purposes in athletics or sports, or by a military organization;
    (4) The person discharged the weapon in the protection of life or property as defined in the penal statutes of the state, so long as such discharge was not done in a reckless or negligent manner; or
    (5) The person was participating in an amusement arcade or paintball amusement facility or event specifically authorized or permitted by the city.
    Sec. 8.06.004 Liability of parents
    (a) No parent or any other person having legal control or custody of any child under the age of seventeen (17) years shall allow or permit such child to discharge, display or brandish any kind of firearm or replica firearm within the city.
    (b) A violation of this article by any child under the age of seventeen (17) years shall be prima facie evidence of the guilt of the parent or person having legal control or custody of such child.

Basically according to the wording the only way you could legally do this on your own property is with a police approved firing range on your property from what I can tell and I have no clue how amenable to police here are to approving them.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom