• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I was bothered by the constant thought of an Auto 5 which I let get away from me a few months back, so I found another one and bought it. Always have wanted one of these.

Belgian made, circa 1951.
    27.5” solid rib barrel.
    In good condition for it’s age; will be a nice shooter to alternate with my Model 12 for sporting clays.

53bcfa8f0b2a2379e481384c9d6aefdb.jpg

40740bbd91393c7a12354f6c69f0409d.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I was bothered by the constant thought of an Auto 5 which I let get away from me a few months back, so I found another one and bought it. Always have wanted one of these.

Belgian made, circa 1951.
    27.5” solid rib barrel.
    In good condition for it’s age; will be a nice shooter to alternate with my Model 12 for sporting clays.

53bcfa8f0b2a2379e481384c9d6aefdb.jpg

40740bbd91393c7a12354f6c69f0409d.jpg

My grandfather used an FN Belgian Browning Auto 5 as his main shotgun his whole life. He won all kinds of skeet and trap contests, and was a duck slayer! After he passed, I assumed one of my uncles took it, and I went on the search for my own. Found out a few months ago, my mom got it and gave it to my brother!!! She said, “I didn’t know you were into guns!” Guess I should just be happy it’s still in the family! I settled on buying a Remington Model 11-48.
    Every auto 5 I’ve seen for sale, has been over priced for the condition. Although the local pawn shop has had one on consignment for the last 8 months, and it hasn’t fetched the $1K they want. May have to try and lowball them and see if the owner will come down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I’ve heard a spring swap can affect it too.

Might help to do that, as I’m assuming this is the same 70 year old spring that the gun left the factory with.

Might have to order that as well as an auto 5 specific screwdriver bit set and some spare parts like screws and such.

Or wear a shoulder protector. Caldwell has a nice one. You can shoot all day.

I’ll be shooting clays with it tomorrow. I’ll gauge the recoil situation then, though the pachmayr recoil pad on it seems like it should be substantial. If not I’ll check out that shoulder protector.

My grandfather used an FN Belgian Browning Auto 5 as his main shotgun his whole life. He won all kinds of skeet and trap contests, and was a duck slayer! After he passed, I assumed one of my uncles took it, and I went on the search for my own. Found out a few months ago, my mom got it and gave it to my brother!!! She said, “I didn’t know you were into guns!” Guess I should just be happy it’s still in the family! I settled on buying a Remington Model 11-48.
    Every auto 5 I’ve seen for sale, has been over priced for the condition. Although the local pawn shop has had one on consignment for the last 8 months, and it hasn’t fetched the $1K they want. May have to try and lowball them and see if the owner will come down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can find some lower priced examples on gunbroker from $450 to $800 depending on model and condition, but the lower end of that range will definitely have a good amount of bluing loss.

You can definitely get a decent one for around $650 in good shape on there from time to time.

For example, here’s one on auction that ends in about a day:

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Auto 5 ran perfectly. Had the friction rings set up for light loads and ran monarch #8 high velocity. Kick wasn’t bad at all, quite normal actually for cheap birdshot, maybe even lighter than the Model 12 due to the recoil pad.

9967227339e4f91fc024494b11fec166.jpg

Last edited:

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Auto 5 ran perfectly. Had the friction rings set up for light loads and ran monarch #8 high velocity. Kick wasn’t bad at all, quite normal actually for cheap birdshot, maybe even lighter than the Model 12 due to the recoil pad.

Was that the one you showed me on Gunbroker or did you find a different one?

Top Bottom