DK Firearms

Shotgun questions, experts please assist.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Hey guys, I've been looking at Semi-auto shotguns. Can someone be kind enough to enlighten me on the difference between the Benelli M1, M2, M3, and M4? They seem to get more expensive as you go from M1 up to M4. I've been on the Benelli website, but it doesn't really say much about the differences. I have noticed the M3 is 'convertible', meaning it can be used in semi or pump mode (if I understand correctly). I want it for home defense. It might go hog hunting some day.....but right now, I'm looking at it for home defense only. Thanks in advance.

Hondo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    According to my Benelli lovin' buddy it is sort of a good, better, best progression.

The M2 is semi auto, it uses the inertia from the recoil to cycle the action. The M3 is basically an M2 that you can select to be either semi auto or pump action. The M4 is also semi auto like the M2, but it is gas operated.

In theory the M2 will cycle faster but I think the M4 will be just as fast. The M4 is also heavier due to the gas operated action. If you want just a plain gun with maybe a mag extension but not any more accessories and your price is a factor go for the M2. If you plan on putting lots of accessories on the gun or if money isn't a big factor the M4 will better fit your needs.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    That is exactly the information I was trying to figure out. You broke it down nicely, thanks Hondo. I have to sell my current shotgun & probably an AR, then I hope to get an M3 or M4.....

treyw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Central TX
    Also, as far as capacity goes, the older M1 has the highest, then the M2,M3, and the M4 has the lowest capacity. I can't recall for sure but I believe the M4 has a 4+1 while the M2, M3's are 5+1. Either way you go you will get the best combat shotgun in the world with a Benelli. They are perfection.

mike4045

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Victoria
    The M1's are cheaper. The M2 is higher. The M3 if you can find it is in the middle. The M4 is really high. I have all the models and used them in 3 gun competition. They all can be high cap guns. I prefer the M2, lighter and less recoil than the M1. The M3 was bought for home defense. I thought being able to switch between pump and auto would be an advantage. It is heavier than the M1/2. Handles like an 1100 but functions. The M4 is the heaviest of the bunch. I am hoping to trade it. Way to heavy and clumsy feeling. Any one of them would make a great combat/competition gun. The M1 and M2 just fit better all around.
    The M1/M2 does cycle faster than the M4, making it quicker on target. Whatever you go with get chokes. Several M3's have popped up with smooth barrels. I like being able to run one platform for any shooting situation.
    I did loan my M3 out at last yrs nats. to a shooter who's 1100 died on the first stage. He did pretty well with it. He was able to make all shots. They all run 100% or I don't keep them around.
    M1's can be found for around $550 to $650. The diff in the M2 is the stock. If you can find one cheap enough I would try the M1 first.

Mike

Sarp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Houston
    The M4's are advertised on Benelliusa.com as a home defense shotgun. They are gas operated using the A.R.G.O system (Auto Regulating Gas System). The M4's come with 2 different stocks, regular shotgun stock and a pistolgrip stock. Benelli is made in Italy so you if you were to get a pistolgrip stock, I think 4+1 is as high of a capacity you are allowed. MSRP is $1829 for desert camo and $1700 for synthetic black. It takes 12 gauge 3" shells.

[URL]http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m4.php[/URL]

The M2 is a basic semi-automatic that is available in 12 and 20 gauge and is available in left handed. The M2 has a MSRP of about $1300 or so but with the Vinci's release I've seen them for $800. The M2 comes with an inertia driven bolt and a comfort tech stock. The comfort tech stock is a shoulder saver, you can play 2 rounds of trap and a round of skeet through a 12 gauge with this and still be ready for more. The M2 comes in 2 camos, black synthetic, and wood (wood does not have comfort tech). This also takes 3" shells.

[URL]http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m2.php[/URL]

As for the M1 and M3, all I know is the M3 can come in pump-action or semi and that Tom Knapp but 500,000 rounds through his old M1.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    The M1's are cheaper. The M2 is higher. The M3 if you can find it is in the middle. The M4 is really high. I have all the models and used them in 3 gun competition. They all can be high cap guns. I prefer the M2, lighter and less recoil than the M1. The M3 was bought for home defense. I thought being able to switch between pump and auto would be an advantage. It is heavier than the M1/2. Handles like an 1100 but functions. The M4 is the heaviest of the bunch. I am hoping to trade it. Way to heavy and clumsy feeling. Any one of them would make a great combat/competition gun. The M1 and M2 just fit better all around.
    The M1/M2 does cycle faster than the M4, making it quicker on target. Whatever you go with get chokes. Several M3's have popped up with smooth barrels. I like being able to run one platform for any shooting situation.
    I did loan my M3 out at last yrs nats. to a shooter who's 1100 died on the first stage. He did pretty well with it. He was able to make all shots. They all run 100% or I don't keep them around.
    M1's can be found for around $550 to $650. The diff in the M2 is the stock. If you can find one cheap enough I would try the M1 first.

Mike

Mike, I have a couple of questions since you have all 4. Is the M2 the only one available with the comfort tech stock? For someone that isn't overly familiar with shotguns, will the M1/M2 cycle at a rate that is noticeable faster than the M3/M4 (or is this more relevant to competition use)? I would love to be able to compare all 4 next to each other. Do you happen to be within a couple hours of the DFW area? If so, pm me separately what you may be looking for in a trade or purchase on the m4......or do you think the M2 is really a better way to go? I don't want to buy the M1, then decide I really should have picked up an M2.....and possibly end up finally with the M3 or M4. I bought my first shotgun several months ago, it's an inexpensive Benelli Nova. It's too long for home defense and now I'm looking to sell it at a loss (it's really an entry level hunting gun, not defense gun)......I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Don't they sell short barrels for a nova? And if you are going to get rid of it you could always chop the barrel down. I'm just throwing some Ideas out right now so I'm not advocating any. LOL! Good luck in you search for the right shotty.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Don't they sell short barrels for a nova? And if you are going to get rid of it you could always chop the barrel down. I'm just throwing some Ideas out right now so I'm not advocating any. LOL! Good luck in you search for the right shotty.

BC, I don't know. Like I mentioned, I'm new to shotguns. I should check that out, it would be much cheaper than a new shotgun. I really wanted a semiauto or convertible. Thanks for the idea, I had not even considered it.

Libertarian_Longhorn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    If you want a dedicated HD gun, I say chop it. You can do it yourself, but make sure to dremel out the inside burr. If you never plan on hunting with it and are already planning on selling it at a loss, slim it down to 18.5

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom