Shotgun recovered 40 years later

Discussion in 'Stolen Property & Criminality' started by Bozz10mm, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Nightwatch

Nightwatch Active Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Nope-but I said the PRESENT owner should be able to keep it, if he bought it legally. He's put out good money in good faith, and the fact that the insurance company's taken a loss is part of their doing business. Once paid by ins, the original owner (car or gun) has no legal claim to it. Like I said, it ain't always fair.

2. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I misread, you are correct.
    But either way, somebody is taking a loss after "paying" for it.
    Insurance companies are not in the business to give away money.

3. Nightwatch

Nightwatch Active Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Correct, but they agree to take risk as part of the way they profit. The guy who buys a used gun from a pawn shop or gun store, jumps through all the hoops-shouldn't lose his money. FTF deals aren't checkable, but those done through an FFL should be...and I don't remember for sure but I think I did fill out an ownership affidavit last time I traded in a gun to a gunshop-which they submitted to the PD, similar to the pawnbroker's slip. I don't do that often, so I may be forgetting.

If I buy a gun FTF, I'm assuming the risk that it might be stolen and hence confiscated. I can't expect any protection there.

4. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Can't argue with a thing you said.

Well, not without being an *******, lol.

ETA: Why did it edit my words?
    I think my filter is off.

5. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I wonder if the insurance co. would even want to mess with a 40 year old shot gun? Might be more trouble for them than its worth.

6. Nightwatch

Nightwatch Active Member

Jan 9, 2014
    My wife says I'm an ******* EVERY time I argue with her...she might be right...

(It edited me, too-maybe the BS filter needs backwashed-again.)

7. satx78247

satx78247 TGT Addict

Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

IF my great-grandfather's circa-1910 "Plain Jane"/field grade Parker (that was stolen out of the house 2 decades plus ago) was ever recovered, I believe that I should be able to reclaim the old Parker, IF the insurance company is paid back the amount that they paid out under the household insurance policy.
    (That old DB likely means ZILCH to anyone but our family but it has sentimental value to our family/me.)

just my OPINION, satx