Shotshell reloading book?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by cajuntec, Aug 10, 2009.

1. cajuntec

cajuntec New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Antonio TX
    Is the Lyman Handbook the only one available? Just wondering. Haven't bought it yet. I am a reloading newbie that keeps putting off buying the manual to start doing this. I have a MEC 600 JR reloader for my .410, and need to just get a manual and read it. But I wanted to make sure there wasn't some other one out there that I should get instead.
    All the best,
    Glenn

2. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    What do you want to know I reload 12 and 20 with MEC loaders and if I can't help I know alot of other shotgunners that would share so info also.

3. cajuntec

cajuntec New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Antonio TX
    dee,
    I just was looking for clarification - if I'm using a MEC loader, can I use a Lyman book? Or is there a MEC book available? I didn't know if each brand had a specific manual to go along with it, or if the Lyman book covered using MEC, Lee, Lyman, etc.... I haven't seen a MEC shotshell manual, so I'm assuming the Lyman is the way to go.

I know - elementary question, and I'm pretty sure I know the answer is "The Lyman manual can be used for all", but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!
    All the best,
    Glenn

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Active Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    MEC does make a book, but I have never seen it. Lyman and RCBS make good shotshell manuals. I always recommend getting two manuals get a broader picture.

5. cajuntec

cajuntec New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Antonio TX
    I haven't seen the RCBS book. I saw Lyman at BPS and Cabelas. Where have you seen the RCBS manual?
    All the best,
    Glenn

6. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    It's been many years, but I used to reload 20 ga, and had a MEC Jr (since sold) As I recall, there were some tables that came with the MEC manual. Not a full blown reloading manual, but the basics for a couple of different loadings. I had a 7/8 and 1 oz charging bar, and used different power for each. You should be able to find a MEC manual if you didn't get one with you're unit. If those are not available at the MEC website, you might try emailing them for a copy.

7. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    My midway catalog lists a mec alot you may want to check them out.

8. CanTex

CanTex Active Member TGT Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    check the powder manufacturers websites. I have picked up lots of information and load data from them.