Gun Zone Deals

Should I do anything before shooting a brand new gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Clean the barrel and Frog Lube treat (with heat) the rest and it will run smooth as glass for you.

Edit: Also check for manufacturing burs on any of the parts. Its rare with most guns to have a problem here but it never hurts to check before a critical part gets scratched up badly and causes malfunctions.

Last edited:

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Everyone has pretty much summed it up but I always like to field strip the gun and give it a complete cleaning to get any unwanted oils, packing grease, etc of and lube it up. Also helps because I like to make sure I'm comfortable with the breakdown should any unforeseen problems come up.

LminusV

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    Georgetown
    As others have mentioned, clean and lube, but I also hand cycle the action about a hundred times and then clean and lube again. On some of my polymer guns, I'll find bits of plastic overflash from the frame rails. Shooting the guns will do the same thing and the bits probably won't cause any problems but I do it anyway.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Field strip, clean and lube - if for no other reason than to increase your familiarity with your new pistol before sending a few rounds downrange.
    +1 on that. I like to cycle them a bit, pop mags in and out, eject some rounds and take them apart. Put them back together with some lube, take them apart again etc. It's kind of a Yoda thing - be one with the force. None if it probably matters though with a decent gun. Getting some familiarity with the gun is the best part of it. Besides, if somebody is throwing a bus at you, you'd feel more comfortable.

Doctor SigFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2013
    North of Killeen
    I always field strip, clean, lube and inspect carefully before heading for the range like others have suggested. I like to get know the weapon before firing it or getting seduced by it. This way, I never seem to have a FTF/FTE or any other malfunction, plus it's better than watching Lifetime movies with my wife.

^^^THIS. Plus remind your wife how inexpensive guns and ammo have become, which is why your new firearm was a better deal than a new dress for her...

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    +1 on that. I like to cycle them a bit, pop mags in and out, eject some rounds and take them apart. Put them back together with some lube, take them apart again etc. It's kind of a Yoda thing - be one with the force. None if it probably matters though with a decent gun. Getting some familiarity with the gun is the best part of it. Besides, if somebody is throwing a bus at you, you'd feel more comfortable.

When I have time, I like to send the bus through a car wash and get an oil and lube job done on it before I throw it at those who displease me.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom