Venture Surplus ad

Should I do anything before shooting a brand new gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ag1052

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    I have a new Springfield xd subcompact 9mm. Should it be ready to go out of the box or Do I need to oil it or do anything else before I can use it for the first time?
    Target Sports

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I NEVER fire a new gun without taking apart, cleaning it, and lubing it.

Not long ago I saw a guy at the shooting range with a rifle to which he had gotten a muzzle break professionally installed. By sheer luck, he couldn't get his first round to chamber, so he pulled the bolt and inspected it. The "pro" who did the muzzle break job never cleaned the metal shavings from threading the barrel out of the inside of the barrel! Had one of those shavings not fallen into the breach, there could have been a serious Kaboom!

zx9rt1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Field strip per the instructions in the owners manual which you did read, right? Then clean and oil her up. Go shoot.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Twirl it around on my finger a bunch of times and then run up to the nearest cop waving it at them to show it off.

Ok, not really. I just check the bore to be sure it is clear and go shoot it. Maybe cleaning it first is better but I don't bother. If I bought a high end gun maybe I would clean and lube it up first.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Maybe the XD is a "high end" gun to the op? What do you consider high end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Something fitted by hand. Usually a custom 1911 or the likes.

Xds, Glocks, M&Ps, and guns like that are made to run dry and full of dirt.

Clean it and lube it before you carry it but for the range see what it can handle. You aren't going to wear it out or hurt it by shooting it.

Let's be honest here. The OP didn't buy a Les Baer 1911 or STI race gun.

To the OP, if it makes you feel better to relube the whole thing before you fire it then by all means go for it. To each their own but it isn't necessary for that type of weapon.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Field strip, clean and oil. Puts you on a baseline verification for eyes on new parts. Allows you to compare parts during your after session cleaning. You can see what looks normal or see what might be a problem. Also, it's smart to verify the barrel isn't obstructed. Stranger things have happened.

TexStan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Tomball, TX
    I always field strip, clean, lube and inspect carefully before heading for the range like others have suggested. I like to get know the weapon before firing it or getting seduced by it. This way, I never seem to have a FTF/FTE or any other malfunction, plus it's better than watching Lifetime movies with my wife.

Top Bottom