• Total voters

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    It's much easier to remove a sheriff than a police chief or city manager hired by a city council. Even if you change the council getting rid of a police chief or city manager is more difficult.

Conversely, having the police chief and sheriff beholden to the whim of voters is not always a good thing.

There's not a perfect solution that everyone will like every time.
    Target Sports

Antares

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2015
    Seabrook, TX
    NYC now joins the fray in wanting to defund police. That is really a bad idea their presence does stop a lot of crime. We cannot revert to the Wild West type of society where everyone is responsible for their own safety. If the democraps start defunding police and they win the upcoming election and ban guns we are all screwed. So far I know it is to early to believe polls but Biden up 14% according to some polls, and all the stations including FOX saying that Trump has to change what he is doing romney, and bush supporting biden tell me we aren't in trouble. This whole country seems out of wrack as Mark Stein says we've become a college campus instead of a country.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I haven't read the whole thread, so...
    If police departments are defunded or disbanded, the affluent neighborhoods will just hire their own private security. This will be paid by the HOA. Neighborhoods without an HOA and neighborhoods that are less affluent will have to take care of themselves.
    In Myrtle Beach, SC the affluent and powerful people all live on the north end of town. There are many new, high rise hotels that cater to a higher class of people.There is never any crime in that area, police patrol that end of town very frequently.
    On the south end of Myrtle Beach is where the less affluent live. There are many run down hotels where a lot of known drug activity and robberies/assaults take place. Crime is rampant in that area. Police presence is almost non-existant except after a crime has been committed.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I think some of these people think that not having a police department will end all their problems with LE. Sadly, I think they are totally wrong. Careful what you wish for, you might end getting it.

But, I do also think that there is a huge problem with many police departments, and sheriff's departments. These senseless, and uncalled for deaths are a huge issue. And people have a right to be very upset and angry about it. There needs to be justice, and there needs to be reform. Defunding, or dismantling these LE departments isn't the answer.

As mentioned, I think that the LE unions are part of the problem, in protecting bad officers. That the bad ones are not held accountable for the wrongs they do. And too many departments end up passing them off to another department too many times.

LE officers are people as well. People make mistakes. But if you make a mistake, own up to it. Don't lie about the mistake, or try and cover it up. That is wrong.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u5.jpg

Attachments

• flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u5.jpg
      flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u5.jpg
      138.4 KB · Views: 356

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Not going to lie, I kind of want to see it happen in Minneapolis just to see what actually happens. It's a morbid curiosity.

Part of me feels the same way, but then I come down to Earth, and realize that while I am prepared to survive the chaos that would ensue, it doesn't mean I think it's a good idea to send our nation down that path.

But the barbarians always storm the gates -- eventually. If it happens during our lifetimes, well, them's the breaks.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    It's much easier to remove a sheriff than a police chief or city manager hired by a city council. Even if you change the council getting rid of a police chief or city manager is more difficult.

Conversely, having the police chief and sheriff beholden to the whim of voters is not always a good thing.

There's not a perfect solution that everyone will like every time.
    Perhaps. I will say I have seen far more police chiefs fired than I have seen sheriffs voted out after problems.

Agree with your final statement.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Try: prohibit LEO response to purely civil matters
    They already use that way too much. Like the time a former tenant broke through my garage door, kicked in the door to the house, loaded up a truck and a trailer with a bunch of my furniture and tools, and took it to their new den. The cops came out and I got "sorry, that's a civil matter". WTF.

Top Bottom