• Yes

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • No

Votes: 85 84.2%

• Total voters

oldag

TGT Addict
Feb 19, 2015
All local PDs should be dismantled, most state and federal PDs as well. County Sheriffs will be elected and assemble peace officers for their respective counties. If they are held to the will of the vote things change quite a bit. The movement towards municipal police forces started in the last half of the 20th century and it's lead to the militarization of the police. That's a bad thing. Police forces do not need APCs and fucking tanks but they have them.

Let's bring law enforcement back to it's local roots.
That is dream land. How many elected officials have been held to the will of the voters during this stupid virus hysteria? None.

oldag

TGT Addict
Feb 19, 2015
It will make no difference whether it is local PD or sheriff. Same problems will exist.

Both will have their bad apples.

Could be worse, possibly, if all LE concentrated under one person.

Whistler

Well-Known
TGT Supporter
Jan 28, 2014
Northeast Texas
Sheriff's deputies still report to politicians.
Yeah I know and like I've said a time or three I'm trying to say get back to community policing. Protect and Serve not Swat, Mayberry instead of Robocop. I dont know the answer but maybe by having a conversation instead of 'gotchas' we might find one.

So I've seen plenty of 'can't' how about a little 'can'? Hell I'd settle for a 'try'.

oldag

TGT Addict
Feb 19, 2015
Yeah I know and like I've said a time or three I'm trying to say get back to community policing. Protect and Serve not Swat, Mayberry instead of Robocop. I dont know the answer but maybe by having a conversation instead of 'gotchas' we might find one.

So I've seen plenty of 'can't' how about a little 'can'? Hell I'd settle for a 'try'.
Fix what we have got, instead of tearing everything down.

Outlaw unions for LEO's, so that the rare bad apple can be disciplined up to and including dismissal.

Legislation to allow PD's to let prospective hiring PD's to know that someone was discharged for cause (without fear of a lawsuit from the applicant). This would help prevent the bad apple from going to the next town and starting over.

Legislation to require DPS to approve no knock warrants, and hold DPS accountable if it goes sideways.

Ideas exist. Getting them into legislation and enacted is another story.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
Sep 27, 2017
Boerne
....So I've seen plenty of 'can't' how about a little 'can'? Hell I'd settle for a 'try'.
Try: classify LEOs as public officials instead of simple employees

Try: remove or severely limit qualified/public duty immunity so that LEOs

Try: De-link revenue generation from LEO budgets and performance measures

Try: prohibit self-initiated investigations as a performance metric

Try: prohibit LEO response to purely civil matters

Try: limit fishing expeditions based on “I can see it / smell it” in plain view

Try: change the culture...quit tolerating ‘bad apples and ruthlessly weed out them out

Try: Expedite trials for LEO criminal behavior.

Try: Prohibit LE agencies from policing/investigating themselves for criminal activities

Try: Stop passing legislation/ordinances to “give tools to LE”

That’s the tip of the iceberg

Whistler

Well-Known
TGT Supporter
Jan 28, 2014
Northeast Texas
Try: classify LEOs as public officials instead of simple employees

Try: remove or severely limit qualified/public duty immunity so that LEOs

Try: De-link revenue generation from LEO budgets and performance measures

Try: prohibit self-initiated investigations as a performance metric

Try: prohibit LEO response to purely civil matters

Try: limit fishing expeditions based on “I can see it / smell it” in plain view

Try: change the culture...quit tolerating ‘bad apples and ruthlessly weed out them out

Try: Expedite trials for LEO criminal behavior.

Try: Prohibit LE agencies from policing/investigating themselves for criminal activities

Try: Stop passing legislation/ordinances to “give tools to LE”

That’s the tip of the iceberg
I like it!

Whistler

Well-Known
TGT Supporter
Jan 28, 2014
Northeast Texas
Fix what we have got, instead of tearing everything down.

Outlaw unions for LEO's, so that the rare bad apple can be disciplined up to and including dismissal.

Legislation to allow PD's to let prospective hiring PD's to know that someone was discharged for cause (without fear of a lawsuit from the applicant). This would help prevent the bad apple from going to the next town and starting over.

Legislation to require DPS to approve no knock warrants, and hold DPS accountable if it goes sideways.

Ideas exist. Getting them into legislation and enacted is another story.
Sounds like a start especially getting rid of no knock. Maybe a little more listen and a little less 'make'. Do we really need a high speed chase across three counties for a busted tail light? You'll get him eventually, dial it down a click or two.

andre3k

Aug 8, 2008
Houston
It will make no difference whether it is local PD or sheriff. Same problems will exist.

Both will have their bad apples.

Could be worse, possibly, if all LE concentrated under one person.
I think a lot of people aren't seeing this.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom