• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x12aesq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2009
    On US 77 kind of north of I-10
    Given my body type, clothing preference, and the South Texas Weather, a shoulder holster seems the best choice for my concealed carry (SIG P938). I've been using Packin' Tees, but they're getting old in a couple of ways. I've been shopping for a shoulder holster, but it seems 95% of them are intended to be used under a suit jacket, with loops to grab the trouser belt. I do, occasionally, wear suits, but when I do, it's in a place I can't carry anyway. Concealing a front strap isn't a requirement for me, and I don't much like those bottom loops anyway. A shoulder holster like the one the Army kindly let me borrow when I was a tank crewman would be perfect, but of course, too large. Elite Survival has a couple that look interesting, one actually military style, one "warden chest holster" but they also both look too large. Alien Gear has a "cloak chest holster" that looks like a possibility. Is it possible someone here already has looked at these possibilities and has an opinion? Or possibly some advice based on prior experience?

All replies gratefully and politely accepted.
    Capitol Armory ad

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Given my body type, clothing preference, and the South Texas Weather, a shoulder holster seems the best choice for my concealed carry (SIG P938). I've been using Packin' Tees, but they're getting old in a couple of ways. I've been shopping for a shoulder holster, but it seems 95% of them are intended to be used under a suit jacket, with loops to grab the trouser belt. I do, occasionally, wear suits, but when I do, it's in a place I can't carry anyway. Concealing a front strap isn't a requirement for me, and I don't much like those bottom loops anyway. A shoulder holster like the one the Army kindly let me borrow when I was a tank crewman would be perfect, but of course, too large. Elite Survival has a couple that look interesting, one actually military style, one "warden chest holster" but they also both look too large. Alien Gear has a "cloak chest holster" that looks like a possibility. Is it possible someone here already has looked at these possibilities and has an opinion? Or possibly some advice based on prior experience?

All replies gratefully and politely accepted.
    Andrews leather Monarch. You can use without belt retainer. No front strap, just a back strap. Comfortable.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Andrews leather Monarch. You can use without belt retainer. No front strap, just a back strap. Comfortable.
    I actually just stumbled on a couple of Youtube videos of him and his shop. I can say he does very nice work without having put my hands on one before....

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    In particular, I like the shoulder straps being wider where they go over the shoulders. Don't cut into you like the narrow straps. Nice, supple leather as well.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I've been happy with my Galco Miami 2...

As long as you keep it covered if you are standing in a line somewhere.

Makes my balls crawl up into my stomach when someone in a line takes off their coat and I am suddenly looking at the muzzle of their duty weapon.( has happened a few times, always at places LE frequent ;) ) The Miami System is a pretty awesomely comfortable carry rig though.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    As long as you keep it covered if you are standing in a line somewhere.

Makes my balls crawl up into my stomach when someone in a line takes off their coat and I am suddenly looking at the muzzle of their duty weapon.( has happened a few times, always at places LE frequent ;) ) The Miami System is a pretty awesomely comfortable carry rig though.
    Why? Guns don't randomly go boom boom...

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Why? Guns don't randomly go boom boom...

Yeah. I know that. I have had the 4 rules ingrained in me since I was ( oddly enough) 4 years old. It bothers me to see the muzzle of someone else’s gun pointing at me.
    Kinda the same reasoning why I do not appendix carry. I know intellectually that the gun is not going to “randomly go boom” but it is pointed toward my dick and why tempt Darwin?

Last edited:

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Yeah. I know that. I have had the 4 rules ingrained in me since I was ( oddly enough) 4 years old. It bothers me to see the muzzle of someone else’s gun pointing at me.
    Kinda the same reasoning why I do not appendix carry. I know intellectually that the gun is not going to “randomly go boom” but it is pointed toward my dick and why tempt Darwin?
    Hey, I get it. Its like being at the zoo and a rattle snake strikes at you. You *KNOW* its behind glass and cant hurt you, but you still jump

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a couple GALCO Don Johnson // "Jackass Rig" sets. One for G21 & one for Kimber UCDP .45ACP Commander-size. They tend to stay in the safe closet unless I'm going hunting. Agree that the horizontal lie with muzzle towards innocents is disconcerting to me, too. My opinion is that similar rigs carrying lighter pistols would be lots less uncomfortable. Yet, I'm looking at others as I want to finally carry my original Python, which has seen little daylight since I got out of the Military in 1977 or '78. Problem is that they are all are expensive and one finds that they don't like them too late. Just like the boxes of holsters we all have stashed somewhere. leVieux

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    x12aesq,

Unless you are packing something like a Model 29 with 6.5 inch barrel, I can see little reason for any shoulder holster.
    (I've tried all sorts of gun-leather in my > 3 decades of being pinned to a badge & I keep coming back to an OWB "tortilla" holster. --- Btw, my usual attire is jeans, boots/shoes & a golf shirt. IMO, my EPS rig for a Colt's GM is PERFECTION on a holster for the HOT Texas Summers.)

Otoh, it's YOU that will have to wear it, so my suggestion is EL PASO SADDLERY, who will make you anything that you desire. GREAT QUALITY too.
    (My "BBQ rig" is made by EPS out of tiger shark skin & I've worn it for over 30 years. They also made me a similar rig about 15 years ago, for my S&W Model 27, out of gator. = EPS holsters just last & last.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    x12aesq,

Unless you are packing something like a Model 29 with 6.5 inch barrel, I can see little reason for any shoulder holster.
    (I've tried all sorts of gun-leather in my > 3 decades of being pinned to a badge & I keep coming back to an OWB "tortilla" holster. --- Btw, my usual attire is jeans, boots/shoes & a golf shirt. IMO, my EPS rig for a Colt's GM is PERFECTION on a holster for the HOT Texas Summers.)

Otoh, it's YOU that will have to wear it, so my suggestion is EL PASO SADDLERY, who will make you anything that you desire. GREAT QUALITY too.
    (My "BBQ rig" is made by EPS out of tiger shark skin & I've worn it for over 30 years. They also made me a similar rig about 15 years ago out of gator. = EPS holsters just last & last.)

yours, satx

There should be a 'LUVITT" button for sage, experienced advice like the above from satx leVieux !

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    x12aesq,

FWIW, my "little" brother, Ed, is 70" tall, weighs 235-40# & is not only a crack-shot (with pistol/rifle/handgun) but EDC a long-barreled N-frame in .44-40. = His shoulder-rig is also EPS with WIDE shoulder straps & tie-down points, front & back.
    (The WV mountains are often cold/snowy/icy, so concealing a N-frame is seldom a problem there.)

As I said shortly after it happened, I have wished that Ed was present at the movie theater in CO where the creep shot all those poor/unarmed people, as Ed would have killed him before he could complete his bloody deeds. = 250 grains of lead in the head and/or chest ends those problems QUICKLY.
    (I've seen Ed put all 6 into a standard size playing card at 35M, routinely.)

Note: He could probably do equally well farther away but that's the max distance of our range up at "the mountain lair".

yours, satx

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The El Paso shoulder rigs do have the wide shoulder straps, but their leather is not nearly as supple as Andrews Leather. FWIW

Top Bottom