Join TexasGunTalk

Shouldn't automatics be oiled?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by emanon, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Mowingmaniac 24/7 TGT Addict

Nov 7, 2015
    I once proposed we not clean the house for arriving company, but clean it after they're gone.

SWMBO didn't agree, too logical.........

seeker_two and Dad_Roman like this.
  2. zackmars

zackmars Well-Known

Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Function check, ie, rack the slide a few times, dry fire, check any controls, etc will ensure your gun works.

Modern guns, generally speaking aren't complicated enough to warrant live firing to check function. If you incorrectly assemble it, it can be very obvious

seeker_two likes this.
  3. Reinz

Reinz Well-Known

Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    I won’t rely on any carry or defense gun until it runs 200-250 consecutive rounds without a problem.

‘If there is a problem down the road after that test then we start all over.

Hoji likes this.
  4. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    This. I have a Springfield EMP that was either built at quitting time on Friday or on a Monday following a holiday weekend. Would not go bang a lot, and when it did, it would jam. Every type of ammo, every magazine.
    I was pissed. Sent it back to them and they promptly fixed/replaced everything that was wrong with it( big list and I would have to dig up the repair inventory they sent back to list them)
    I was VERY concerned with carrying this pistol as a primary carry gun.

After several hundred rounds of various ammo, both range and duty rounds, without a hiccup I am confident in the gun again.

TxStetson, sidebite252 and Reinz like this.
  5. Reinz

Reinz Well-Known

Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    I definitely see why you were concerned. Someone sure dropped the ball. To add to your analysis; maybe a disgruntled employee.

I have an EMP, as did my Dad and Brother when alive. We never had a single issue with ours.

6. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Pissed is a little understated, lol. Almost a grand on a carry gun and it didn’t work.
    Now that it works it is stupidly accurate and a lot of fun to shoot.

Reinz likes this.
  7. Dawico

Dawico Uncoiled Lifetime Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I don't wipe before I poop. Not sure if that's normal or not.

V-Tach likes this.
  8. Ioannes

Ioannes Member

Oct 12, 2019
    US
    Just an update on Robar. Their sister company Coating Technologies is alive and well.

Wright Armory in Mesa, AZ is the gunsmith who will do the work that Robar used to do. Cajun Gunworks as well.

https://wrightarmory.com/np3-metal-finishing/

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

zaitcev likes this.
  9. IXLR8

IXLR8 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    As an alternative to oil...
    Frog lube. When applied according to instructions, it reduces friction and protects against corrosion. I have had excellent success with it. It also works well when liberally applied to suppressors.

My father in law had big problem with his machine tools rusting here in high humidity Houston. I applied Frog lube according to the instructions and they never rusted again. There was a test done by one of the gun websites that tested every lube I had ever heard of in a number of tests. It was particularly good, top of the list at long term preventing corrosion.

10. zackmars

zackmars Well-Known

Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

NO. froglube the the single worst thing you can put on a gun. Maybe tied with loctite, and thats a big maybe.

The problem with froglube is that it solidifies at lower temps, and at room temperature its on the way there. Sure, when it gets hot it's nice and fluid, but if it's a carry gun, you are aren't going to be shooting a magazine every 10 minutes to keep it from turning into a solid.

And it doesn't matter how close you follow directions.