• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Where I am going is I can not find a law that makes it illegal to carry a rifle into a place sells alcohol for off-premise consumption, or even on premise consumption if < 51%. Is it bad google-fu on my part or does no such law exist, despite signs suggesting it does?
    For what it's worth I talked to a lawyer about it, since it is kind of vague, and he told me that a 51% sign pertains to all firearms.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    For what it's worth I talked to a lawyer about it, since it is kind of vague, and he told me that a 51% sign pertains to all firearms.

Correct

46.03 says you cannot bring a firearm into any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages that is 51%.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Consumption is the key word. Since Walmart also has signs against consumption of alcohol, that should answer that question.

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    Correct. Hence why I am asking about NON 51% locations.

1) Carry rifle in on-premises consumption place that is < 51%
    2) Carry rifle in off-premises consumption place.
    Got it! So that dude who carried his rifle into the Wal Mart in Missouri was not doing it illegally unless there was something that prohibits that in Missouri I'm not aware of?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Got it! So that dude who carried his rifle into the Wal Mart in Missouri was not doing it illegally unless there was something that prohibits that in Missouri I'm not aware of?

I am still trying to figure if it is illegal in Texas.....

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    It took 27 posts to figure out that we were discussing Missouri law?

Hey, lawful or not, you should have better things to do than challenge subtle nuances of the law in public places.

Think of the children.....
    ;)

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    It took 27 posts to figure out that we were discussing Missouri law?

Hey, lawful or not, you should have better things to do than challenge subtle nuances of the law in public places.

Think of the children.....
    ;)
    I actually brought up the Missouri incident. Don't think the OP was alluding to that. My bad!

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    My understanding is that the carry laws pretty much apply only to handguns. Since they mostly say nothing about long guns, it is technically legal to openly carry long guns just about anywhere. It's probably more a function of the awkward patchwork of laws that have developed over the years than with a specific legislative intent one way or the other with respect to long guns.

The entirety of the carry statutes needs a rewrite, not for this reason, but because in many ways they're stupid. But I digress.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The thing is, the business has the right to ask you to leave. You can certainly try to carry a rifle anywhere, but if they ask you to leave, lawfully you must.

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    My understanding is that the carry laws pretty much apply only to handguns. Since they mostly say nothing about long guns, it is technically legal to openly carry long guns just about anywhere. It's probably more a function of the awkward patchwork of laws that have developed over the years than with a specific legislative intent one way or the other with respect to long guns.

The entirety of the carry statutes needs a rewrite, not for this reason, but because in many ways they're stupid. But I digress.
    Agreed. As far as I know you can walk down a public street with a shotgun over your shoulder and it's perfectly legal.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    1. The '51% Rule' is only applicable to premises licensed for on-site consumption - i.e. bars, etc.
    2. Texas State Constitution:
    Sec. 23.RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS.
    Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but
    the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime.
    https://tlc.texas.gov/docs/legref/TxConst.pdf

Eli

Top Bottom