• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • srstaff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Frisco
    First of all, let me thank those of you who have served and who are serving our Republic as a member of our armed forces. God bless you all, and God bless the United States of America.

I was reading about the SCOTUS striking down the Stolen Valor Act today (Supreme Court strikes down Stolen Valor - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times), and after I got done scratching my nearly bald head, it got me to thinking... I never had the honor of serving, nor would I ever dream of trying to portray myself as having served, but I feel a strong need to support those who have and who do. Of course there are many good ways to do this, but what I'm wondering is what kind of patch, symbol, or logo is out there that would clearly denote a civilian who strongly supports our military? Is there such a thing that would clearly spell that out without any active serviceperson or veteran mistaking it for someone trying to portray something more? I'm not looking for something to take the place of personally saying thank you... just something I can wear to non-verbally show my support without making me look like I'm trying to impersonate.
    Gun Zone Deals

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    There isn't really anything that jumps to mind as an all inclusive design per se but I know one thing is the whole wear red on fridays to show support, or you can buy the wounded warrior gear that helps support those programs. Probably the best thing is just telling veterans thank you and shaking their hand or buying them a beer, I try to do so often for those that came before me.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I couldn't agree more with your OP srstaff!
    As if the SCOTUS upholding Obamacare as well today wasn't bad enough, making it legal to 'impersonate a veteran' made me incredibly angry. I'm hoping someone reveals a symbol that will display the intended honor due our veterans.

TXDARKHORSE361: Is the wear red on Fridays that meaningful/obvious to a veteran? With a clean red shirt to remind me, beginning tomorrow I'm going to start paying more attention to what others wear on Friday.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Personally, I'm pretty happy not getting spit on (when I'm in uniform, and, well, not paying for nor asking for it). So far, so good :D

Alex

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I think that the yellow ribbon would be the closest thing to what you are looking for. You can find them in pins, magnets for your car among other choices. While I was serving in the Army I came home on leave once and was having lunch at an airport restraunt in Atlanta when the waitress came by and told me and my friends that someone had picked up our entire tab. We never knew who did it but I was very appreciative because I wasn't making much and was really watching every penny. That was someone who put his/her appreciation for our service into action and I will never forget that unknown random person. The ribbons are great in their symbolism but action speaks louder. you might just try a random act of kindness.

BMiracleTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Abilene
    I have been in the USAF for 19 years... never heard the red shirt thing. But I do agree with the yellow ribbon. Simple, and most military folks recognize that, the MIA/POW, and Wounded Warrior. Here in Abilene, I always have folks just simply saying thanks and that means enough to me. Like TXARGUY, I too have had people randomly buy my lunch when me and my wife (also active duty) are out in our uniforms.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    TXDARKHORSE361: Is the wear red on Fridays that meaningful/obvious to a veteran? With a clean red shirt to remind me, beginning tomorrow I'm going to start paying more attention to what others wear on Friday.

Honestly I never payed much attention to it and never even knew about until my mom who was really active with a blue star mothers group told me about it, I think its more about supporting those currently in harms way like wear red to show your support. I don't even think I own any red shirts, ill wear one of my old unit tshirts and occasionally my OEF Vet hat but what I personally do is walk up and shake their hand and say thank you, if I know they are/were a Marine I give em a Semper Fi. Honestly never thought much about it until I actually put the uniform on myself and being as I've only been a civilian again for less than 3 months I'm still in the transition phase I guess.

srstaff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Frisco
    I think that the yellow ribbon would be the closest thing to what you are looking for. You can find them in pins, magnets for your car among other choices. While I was serving in the Army I came home on leave once and was having lunch at an airport restraunt in Atlanta when the waitress came by and told me and my friends that someone had picked up our entire tab. We never knew who did it but I was very appreciative because I wasn't making much and was really watching every penny. That was someone who put his/her appreciation for our service into action and I will never forget that unknown random person. The ribbons are great in their symbolism but action speaks louder. you might just try a random act of kindness.

Thanks for the tip on the yellow ribbon. I agree with you too. I will be trying to say thanks directly when I can, I will be looking for random act opportunities as well. I just want some other ways for those people who are not in uniform or who I can't thank personally, to know that I'm just one more citizen who appreciates the sacrifices they've made for our nation.

Top Bottom