• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Celeste
    you can create a human powered generator with a bicycle and a stationary stand.
    solar pannels
    windmill. i understand they have some amount of maintenance tho. could be an issue.

get a set up that makes sense to charge only what you need. obviously chargin a cell phone makes no sense.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Best short term is a generator with gasoline. Best medium term is a generator with a trifuel kit hooked to natural gas. It won't go out in anything short of an earthquake, and will stay on longer than most (all other?) utilities in the event of an extended outage.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Forget cooking oil. Any good, old school diesel will run on used motor oil or even new motor oil. After the SHTF it'll be a hell of a lot easier finding both of those sources than cooking oil, especially if you're in some small town out in B.F. Egypt.

Transmission fluid will work to. My buddy has a 7.3 liter turbo diesel that runs off used transmission fluid, just be sure to filter the crap out of it.

Yep. I'm another guy with a 7.3 TDI. I run it on veggie oil, motor oil, etc. You can also use Jet-A (make sure you add some other oil for lubricity), mineral oil, transformer oil, transmission oil, rendered beef tallow, and pretty much any other oil that's liquid at operating temperature (and I have a heated line and pickup for the thick stuff). Filtering is critical though - you will completely f up your engine and have to rebuild or replace your injectors if you don't clean it well. I settle it, then suck out the middle 2/3 of the settling tank out and push it through a 1 micron filter . It comes out clean, but it runs through a pickup filter, screen filter, and 1 micron paper filter before it goes into the fuel system.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    you can create a human powered generator with a bicycle and a stationary stand.
    solar pannels
    windmill. i understand they have some amount of maintenance tho. could be an issue.

get a set up that makes sense to charge only what you need. obviously chargin a cell phone makes no sense.

Glad someone else noted the no need for cell phone charging. Why charge a useless item, when the power lines are down, what powers the cell towers..... if they are still standing. Note to file, if your SHTF plan includes calling everyone, call early..

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Glad someone else noted the no need for cell phone charging. Why charge a useless item, when the power lines are down, what powers the cell towers..... if they are still standing. Note to file, if your SHTF plan includes calling everyone, call early..

They have battery backups and generators. Limited cell service will be available for up to a week. That said, I wouldn't rely on anything but FRS and ham, and I wouldn't even trust that with my life.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rgomez5329
    Top Bottom