• ...and so much more!
  • Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    If any of you old guys made to to Siagon back in the day, here are a few pictures that might bring back some memories. clicky
    Lynx Defense

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Spent first day in-country in Saigon talking my way out of assignment to a twin 40 Bofors unit. From the frying pan into the fire, was a long way to Ban Me Thuot. Looks like I remember. Thanks for the memories.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    We were flying into Saigon, but between the weather and incoming fire at the airfield we got diverted to Cam Ranh Bay. Often wonder what would my in country assignment have been if I had gone in at the ReplDet instead of the one in Cam Ranh. So I Corp/ was my AO and a long way from Saigon

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    those pics of s(ai)gon made me want to puke - can "almost' smell the stench of that armpit of a country !

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    We were flying into Saigon, but between the weather and incoming fire at the airfield we got diverted to Cam Ranh Bay. Often wonder what would my in country assignment have been if I had gone in at the ReplDet instead of the one in Cam Ranh. So I Corp/ was my AO and a long way from Saigon
    I had malaria not long after my arrival in country and in my fng wisdom I talked my doctor to cut me orders for the battalion rear thinking it stayed on the boat and I could go to the Philippines with the ship. So instead of 30 days at Cam Rahn Bay I wound up in a 40 man tent in Dong Ha with a 1st Shirt who wanted to send me to Contein.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Just missed it. My draft card reads 1-H. I asked the lady at the draft board what that meant, since "H" isn't defined on the card. She said, "That means 'holding'. They're not drafting right now, but if they change their minds, that "H" will magically turn into an "A" as in your ass is going to Vietnam." True story.

The shop teacher's son was in Vietnam and won a medal for saving the life of some ARVN general. When he landed back in country, I think it was San Francisco, some hippie girl spit on him and yelled that he was a baby killer. He was home for just a few days and took his motorcycle out and ran headlong into a semi. Incredibly sad. Wars are always hard on people, but that one was particularly bad for so many reasons.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Landed at Ton Son Nhat, never seen that many swimming pools in my life, looking down on the approach (bomb craters); short few days later was putting the hurt on the NVA in a country that couldn't be mentioned at the time ... and longing for straight tailed dogs and round eyed women for the next 13 months.

joking

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2015
    Houston
    Couple pictures of Tân Sơn Nhất, Chu Lai, and Buôn Mê Thuột back then.

Screenshot_20210209-082759_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210209-082614_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210208-231713_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210208-232030_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210208-233601_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210208-233900_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom