Houston
    Sai Gon back then

Screenshot_20200821-210233_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200821-205835_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200821-210010_Facebook.jpg
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Couple pictures of Tân Sơn Nhất, Chu Lại, and Buôn Mê Thuột back then.
    View attachment 244089

Buôn Mê Thuột was one of the jumping off points for operations in Cambodia at the time. Was assigned to 2/17 Arty, who's BN HQ was there, plus a lot of Special Ops "sneaky Petes".
    Was on loan for the better part of six months to an ARVN Ranger unit as their FO, both aerial and in situ, which operated mainly in Cambodia.
    Mission, supported by American artillery and air support, was to the use the South Vietnamese Army to disrupt the NVA supply lines coming down through Cambodia from Laos, thus the need for English speaking personnel on the ground.

Familiar photo of Interesting times ...

joking

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2015
    Houston
    Buôn Mê Thuột was one of the jumping off points for operations in Cambodia at the time. Was assigned to 2/17 Arty, who's BN HQ was there, plus a lot of Special Ops "sneaky Petes".
    Was on loan for the better part of six months to an ARVN Ranger unit as their FO, both aerial and in situ, which operated mainly in Cambodia.
    Mission, supported by American artillery and air support, was to the use the South Vietnamese Army to disrupt the NVA supply lines coming down through Cambodia from Laos, thus the need for English speaking personnel on the ground.

Look like you were fighting in Military Region 2 cutting off supply along ho chi minh trail coming in from Cambodia.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Landed in Chu Lai, straight into the bush, never saw Saigon or anything else that looked like civilization while in Vietnam. NOTHING.........
    The farthest we got south was Hill 55 area. The battalion was afloat and had worked the Chu Lai area before my arrival. About the only place in I Corps I didn't tour was the Au Shau Valley and they hit that a lick before the 3rdMarDiv departed for Okinawa. Missed it by six months and missed 881 too. Call me a lucky bastard.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas

Roger that. I was amazed that the NVA would shoot back at Puff when it got close to Laos.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Roger that. I was amazed that the NVA would shoot back at Puff when it got close to Laos.

Went down in a Bell Ranger from RVN .51 radar guided machine gun fire, took out our tail rotor. To our surprise, we were extracted after the longest 45 minutes I';ve ever experienced ... but they did get the bird out first, leaving me and the pilot to continue wondering, since we were in violation of International law, whether we were on our way, barefoot, to the Hanoi Hilton. All's well that ends well ...

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I was but a wee youngster at the height of the Vietnam War. My father served in the Air Force stateside during the entire conflict in Vietnam, but my Uncle Bill was in the Navy, and was in the Brown River Navy from 1967 to 1971 IIRC. Uncle Bill's specialty in the Navy was in communications. My mother didn't tell us till after he died exactly what he did when he was over there. Frankly, I was quite impressed with my uncle. Uncle Bill ended up retiring from the Navy with 22 years in, and then ended up some years later, going to work for the Texas DPS for almost 20 years.

After my mother explained what Uncle Bill did in Vietnam, watching the movie "Apocalypse Now", comes into a totally different perspective.

I will also add this. Many, or maybe most Vietnam veterans never got the recognition or respect they were due many years ago. Yes, in was in many ways an unpopular war, but soldiers don't get to pick and choose what wars or battles they are to fight in. Thanks to all who served. Prayers for those who are fighting inner demons from that war. And prayers to all those that didn't come back alive and those that are missing.

Top Bottom