• TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I'm a Springfield guy. I really like their Mod2 pistols. Fit my hand like a glove. I'll take a look at their 1911's
    Springfield has some spectacular 1911’s. My EDC is a Range Officer Champion in 45.

Attachments

• ED6BD7BA-07F1-4DA9-A733-3985BCBF35A9.jpeg
      ED6BD7BA-07F1-4DA9-A733-3985BCBF35A9.jpeg
      1.3 MB · Views: 235

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Hmm... I do believe I'm going to investigate their 1911's
    I spent about 2 months researching all the 1911's, checking reviews, pros and cons and looking at and feeling them in my hand before I decided on my choice. I like to make sure I get the one I really want instead of wishing I bought something else.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I would not recommend Kimber. Decades ago, Kimber made a fine 1911. But when the boom hit and they really ramped up production the quality seem to slip substantially. Having researched them when I was getting back into buying 1911's, there were just too many reports of problems for me to be comfortable.

With Colt, you pay a premium just for the name. Probably everyone should have a Colt 1911 at some point. But I would not pay that premium today, especially when their models that come with a plastic MSH.

Have read mostly good stuff about Dan Wesson. However, they did go through a period not too long ago of having galling problems with their stainless models. I have heard that the problem was corrected.

Also have read mostly good things about Les Baer, but their CS seems to be lacking compared to the others.

At the entry level end, Ruger seems to be making a solid 1911. Ditto for Remington, although I don't know that I would buy a Remington right now with the company in Chapter 11.

I had a very bad experience with a Springfield TRP. Failed miserably. Evidence of extremely poor QC systems.

For semi-customs, you have Guncrafter, Ed Brown, Night Hawk and Wilson Combat.

I have not spent much time examining WC, so I won't say anything about them other than they have a great reputation. Of the remaining three, Guncrafter is definitely the best of the bunch (having examined them closely side by side). The best craftsmanship I have ever seen in a handgun. Incredible trigger.

Right now, with the market down, you can probably find a lightly used semi-custom for around $2200-$2300.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would not recommend Kimber. Decades ago, Kimber made a fine 1911. But when the boom hit and they really ramped up production the quality seem to slip substantially. Having researched them when I was getting back into buying 1911's, there were just too many reports of problems for me to be comfortable.

With Colt, you pay a premium just for the name. Probably everyone should have a Colt 1911 at some point. But I would not pay that premium today, especially when their models that come with a plastic MSH.

Have read mostly good stuff about Dan Wesson. However, they did go through a period not too long ago of having galling problems with their stainless models. I have heard that the problem was corrected.

Also have read mostly good things about Les Baer, but their CS seems to be lacking compared to the others.

At the entry level end, Ruger seems to be making a solid 1911. Ditto for Remington, although I don't know that I would buy a Remington right now with the company in Chapter 11.

I had a very bad experience with a Springfield TRP. Failed miserably. Evidence of extremely poor QC systems.

For semi-customs, you have Guncrafter, Ed Brown, Night Hawk and Wilson Combat.

I have not spent much time examining WC, so I won't say anything about them other than they have a great reputation. Of the remaining three, Guncrafter is definitely the best of the bunch (having examined them closely side by side). The best craftsmanship I have ever seen in a handgun. Incredible trigger.

Right now, with the market down, you can probably find a lightly used semi-custom for around $2200-$2300.

One of my co-workers has a Para Ordnance. Beautiful pistol...
    You know much about those?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    One of my co-workers has a Para Ordnance. Beautiful pistol...
    You know much about those?

Apologize, but I am not up to speed all the entry level 1911's.

I have read good things about RIA, mixed on Para. But again, I have really not researched these so take that with a large grain of salt.

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    RIA's are a crap shot roll of the dice. You might get a good one and you might not. I have seen to much crap inside of them to ever consider owning one.
    PARA is crap. The older ones were pretty fair pieces and we owned several over the years. Never again. Just crap.
    No knock on any RIA/Para owners intended.

Dan Wesson has some very good offerings for the price point. I have ran several in the last year that really impressed me.

We are dyed in the wool Springfield people.

Top Bottom