• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    Anyone have one of the Sig .22 Conversion kits for their P-series pistol? I'm seriously considering one for my P226, but I want to know about the reliability and general quality of them. I don't really want to be stuck buying high-end ammo just to run my 22 conversion.

Cawdor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Houston
    The P226 Classic 22 and the conversion kits have good reputations. The best place to check is the Sig Forum.

I have P229 Classic 22. I can't recommend it. I'll probably keep mine, but if I knew when I bought it what I know now, I would not have bought it.

Reliability - Mine has a stoppage at least once every 200 to 300 hundred rounds. It is usually a stovepipe or a failure to feed. There are two types of failures to feed: 1) the slide closes without feeding a round, i.e., the chamber is empty; 2) the round is not completely chambered and the round is usually deformed as a result. By way of comparison, my CZ Kadet and my Beretta 87 Target rarely have a stoppage. For example, I have put 1500 rounds through my Kadet in the last few months without a stoppage.

I have not sent the gun to Sig for repair, though I'm considering it. I have not done it yet because unless something is obviously defective, I'm afraid that Sig will inspect it, fire ten rounds, pronounce it fine, and return it to me.

Ammunition - Sig recommends high velocity ammunition (often CCI Mini-Mags): "While this kit will perform well with the majority of commercially available Hi-Velocity ammunition, not all brands will function as well as others." Some guns are reliable with the 500 round bulk packs, some are not. Mine has a mixed history. Initially bulk packs were not reliable in mine, i.e., at least one stoppage every 50 rounds. Now mine is more reliable with bulk packs than CCI Mini-Mags.

Care - Sig recommends light oiling every 200 rounds.

All in all, I'm not satisfied with my 229 Classic 22. On the other hand, I love my 522 rifle.

pyrat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Allen, Texas
    I bought a P226 in 22LR because I always liked the P226 and because they give you a deal on ordering the caliber conversion kit of your choice. I experimented around with various types of .22LR ammo and it seems to like the Stinger-type ammo best. Fun factor wise, it's a blast to shoot, not to mention cheap. I'm very happy with it, and think you'd enjoy it as well.

tx787

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Austin
    There's a thread on sigforum now discussing the 22LR conversion for the P226. Apparently it is on sale from Sig direct (phone only not online) for $249 and shipping free. I am seriously considering it but the problem is that you can get a dedicated 22 pistol for the same price, probably not the same quality though. Even if you could only run high end ammo it's still going to pay for itself fairly quickly (although not as quickly as a 1911 22 conversion).

pyrat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Allen, Texas
    I find the P226 in 22LR lots of fun and like you said, way less expensive to shoot. I'm getting the .357SIG conversion form my spouse for Christmas and plan on getting a .40S&W barrel later on and the 9mm kit after that. Fun stuff...

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    All of the Sig conversion kits were $249 for the last couple of weeks, but when I looked today, they were all sold out. Sorry, I don't mean to rub it in. Try looking around.

Top Bottom