Hurley's Gold

Sig Being Sued Bigly ( 320 Firing on Its Own)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    It is a light trigger

The trigger doesn't have a safety tab or hinge like glock/s&w

The striker is fully tensioned

The striker return spring has a pitifully low lifespan, meaning the striker can cause a slam fire.

No, the gun won't just "go off" in a night stand. Yes it takes such harsh actions such as dropping the slide or holstering to get it to fire.

But if your gun fires because you dropped the slide, it is a giant piece of shit. I've messed with semi auto pistols from the late 1890's that don't do that. And they didn't even know what a slide should look like back then
    Slam fire is a different issue. The complaints aren't about that. People are saying the pistol magically went off without anything touching the trigger. If it is a defect it should be a reproducible problem. I have yet to see an example of one of the pistols in question tested and reproducing the spontaneous firing. I could understand sending it to sig and them "fixing" the problem when this was a new issue. Since this is a know "issue" why haven't these pistols been independently tested after these incidents? If they have been verified and repeated independently that would be a winning lottery ticket imo.
    Venture Surplus ad

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Slam fire is a different issue. The complaints aren't about that. People are saying the pistol magically went off without anything touching the trigger. If it is a defect it should be a reproducible problem. I have yet to see an example of one of the pistols in question tested and reproducing the spontaneous firing. I could understand sending it to sig and them "fixing" the problem when this was a new issue. Since this is a know "issue" why haven't these pistols been independently tested after these incidents? If they have been verified and repeated independently that would be a winning lottery ticket imo.
    There are multiple ways a striker return spring can fail (especially one as fragile as sigs) it can simply break/snap. It can shrivel up into less than a quarter of it's original length.

This can also be caused by poor sear contact, which is another complaint ive seen leveled at the design. I hate to break it to you, but there's no independent committee that you can just send a gun off to to have it "tested" or "verified". You take it to a real smith that knows about that stuff, they'll tell you to either shove off, or they'll sit on it for months while they work on other stuff.

Until there is some "independent place you can send it off to", you'll just have to be satisfied with people posting pics of crumpled up SRS's, documenting poor sear engagement, the odd ND, and understand that the company ran by the guy who ruined kimber is currently working his way through sig faster than a 12 taco box from taco bell.

Or its all some grand conspiracy that it just so happens, no other current pistol has to deal with.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    FB_IMG_1666041598251.jpg

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    If you don't understand what the striker return spring does, you probably shouldn't be taking either side.

If the striker return spring isn't working, the striker is still set forward where it can contact the primer of the recently loaded cartridge. Gun fires. Think of it like a fixed firing pin in a SMG.

I've posted 3 examples of issues directly related to the striker return spring, 2 of which resulted into ND's. Do you have actual evidence that it is shooter negligence? Do you have proof that the striker return spring can wear so drastically and not be an issue?

Simply dismissing my argument because "everyone blames the equipment" isn't an argument.

Eta, and it's not an independent issue if sig just didn't give a damn during the design and testing process, and we're witnessing the gun display it's unresolved issues that Beretta, Glock, HK, or Walther, etc would have found and fixed before the first gun left the doors
    If the spring failed causing the striker to remain in a position where it could contact the primer it would not have ND’d in the manner that it did. It would have either A- fired a the round when the slide went forward during its normal cycling, or B- fired the round as soon as he slammed it down in the holster. But that’s not what he said happened. He said it fired when he was raising his hands, which makes it more likely that his shirt got caught in the holster

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Until there is some "independent place you can send it off to", you'll just have to be satisfied with people posting pics of crumpled up SRS's, documenting poor sear engagement, the odd ND, and understand that the company ran by the guy who ruined kimber is currently working his way through sig faster than a 12 taco box from taco bell.

Or its all some grand conspiracy that it just so happens, no other current pistol has to deal with.
    Forensic labs are abundant. Testing is what they do. Being satisfied with anecdotal evidence is unacceptable, there is nothing empirical presented at this time.

And just wondering did the new asswipe running/ ruining SIG have anything to do with older designs?

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    If the spring failed causing the striker to remain in a position where it could contact the primer it would not have ND’d in the manner that it did. It would have either A- fired a the round when the slide went forward during its normal cycling, or B- fired the round as soon as he slammed it down in the holster. But that’s not what he said happened. He said it fired when he was raising his hands, which makes it more likely that his shirt got caught in the holster

There were witnesses who said that it didn't happen that way. Im glad you were there to record the actual truth.

If the SRS fails, and gives way, the fully tensioned striker will fire the gun.

There is a reason why everyone except sig use big durable SRS's in their guns.

There is a reason why everyone except sig isn't having to fight off a bunch of lawsuits

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Forensic labs are abundant. Testing is what they do. Being satisfied with anecdotal evidence is unacceptable, there is nothing empirical presented at this time.

And just wondering did the new asswipe running/ ruining SIG have anything to do with older designs?
    I'm sure you can just walk into a forensic lab with your sig and they'll just do all the tests you want

The new asswipe has been running sig for the better part of 20 years or so.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    There were witnesses who said that it didn't happen that way. Im glad you were there to record the actual truth.

If the SRS fails, and gives way, the fully tensioned striker will fire the gun.

There is a reason why everyone except sig use big durable SRS's in their guns.

There is a reason why everyone except sig isn't having to fight off a bunch of lawsuits
    I’m just guessing. It could not have happened the way you’re saying based on what was said in the video. Do you know the witnesses?

and you can’t honestly think sig is the only one who gets sued for this, right?

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    There are multiple ways a striker return spring can fail (especially one as fragile as sigs) it can simply break/snap. It can shrivel up into less than a quarter of it's original length.

This can also be caused by poor sear contact, which is another complaint ive seen leveled at the design. I hate to break it to you, but there's no independent committee that you can just send a gun off to to have it "tested" or "verified". You take it to a real smith that knows about that stuff, they'll tell you to either shove off, or they'll sit on it for months while they work on other stuff.

I understand there isn't an independent body to send these pistols to for testing. And I've seen the pictures and videos. But as far as I know those are not of the pistols in question. I understand that there could be a design problem causing these incidents but you tube videos and forum pictures criticizing a design aren't scientific proof. If it is a design problem it should be repeatable. I'm inferring from your post that you think an attorney looking for a multimillion pay out can't find a gunsmith or armorer to verify a design flaw to prove their case of the know issue.? Have metallurgical tests done on components etc.

The conspiracy theory idea can be argued for both sides of this issue imo. I know you and others here have more firearm knowledge than I do. I just still lean toward people are messing up and looking to blame the tool. I want better scientific proof.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I’m just guessing. It could not have happened the way you’re saying based on what was said in the video. Do you know the witnesses?

and you can’t honestly think sig is the only one who gets sued for this, right?
    Yes, it could have. Sig uses a tiny, poorly made spring that is one of two things that keep the firing pin from staying forward.

The other is the sear. Sig has expertly designed a gun with poor sear engagement, and questionable metallurgy.

No, i don't know the witnesses, but I've been in competitions where others have had actual NDs. They (RSO's) don't back the shooter unless the shooter was totally in the clear. Do you know the witnesses?

Do you honestly think walther or HK or SAI is fighting off at least 9 similar lawsuits?

Remember what i said, if all you have is "everybody blames the equipment" then you don't have an argument.

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    I'm sure you can just walk into a forensic lab with your sig and they'll just do all the tests you want

The new asswipe has been running sig for the better part of 20 years or so.
    You will need an appointment. That's what they do. It will cost you based up the nature of the item being tested. Its all time and material, as with any business. We had half a dozen in Texas we used, depending on the venue, for every type of destructive testing you can imagine, from brindle hardness of a Saginaw steering gear to ductility of crossover lines on a Peterbilt.

20 years or so. They must have been a decent company before he got there, as it seems with his talent, he would have completely cratered them by now.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I understand there isn't an independent body to send these pistols to for testing.
    If you understand this, why ask it?

You don't need to have a large knowledge of firearms to know that this;
    49232D7A-0194-48FF-8CD7-89C35B95B83E.jpg

Is NOT acceptable. Guns are not all the same. Not every gun gets inspected by the same well motivated and knowledgeable QC guy or gal. Not every spring is the same. Not every barrel blank is the same.

Even a company that does NO quality control will put out a good gun now and again. Sig definitely does some QC, but not enough to ensure the parts that are already on the edge (like the SRS) get rejected

Or it might not be because of the QC. it could be the end result of trying to turn the DAO P250 into the striker fired 320.

Whatever, or whoever it is, we as consumers can only do the best we can, and we should ask for better, instead of turning into fanboys and dismissing stuff out of hand. Be it Sig, Glock, CZ, Beretta...

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    You will need an appointment. That's what they do. It will cost you based up the nature of the item being tested. Its all time and material, as with any business. We had half a dozen in Texas we used, depending on the venue, for every type of destructive testing you can imagine, from brindle hardness of a Saginaw steering gear to ductility of crossover lines on a Peterbilt.

20 years or so. They must have been a decent company before he got there, as it seems with his talent, he would have completely cratered them by now.
    That sounds very accessible for an individual to do.

Ron cohen really does ruin companies, but he also makes them money. Sig USA was not in a good state when he came along.

It takes a lot for a big company to crater. Remington, Colt, S&W are proof.

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    On t
    That sounds very accessible for an individual to do.

Ron cohen really does ruin companies, but he also makes them money. Sig USA was not in a good state when he came along.

It takes a lot for a big company to crater. Remington, Colt, S&W are proof.
    On that note I give you Jay Brown. Former CEO of Firemans Fund, which he just about destroyed, before American Express rescued them. CEO of Talegen Holding, which under his leadership was placed in receivership, and sold off in pieces ( where I worked). Safeco Insurance which he left in a shambles leaving them for Liberty Mutual, who bought the remains at a fire sale. Lastly MBIA which borrowed 3 billion under his leadership, he left before the notes came due. All this done while the asswipe Ron whittled away at Sig. One man can kill a big company fast.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    A couple comments directed to my posts I just saw.

The events I'm referring to are all police department related. Iirc especially Philly transit which is where the gun in the holster went off. The officer was mid shift sitting in a golf cart next to another officer watching a transit station with lots of people when his weapon fired in its holster hitting the golf cart. There are witnesses and partial video confirming they wernt moving and no one touched the gun.

It may be the same department where the gun went off in a desk drawer with no one around the desk.

When these things happen you have a huge burden of proof to show it was a malfunction instead of a ND. For enture departments to have dumped their entire supply because of multiple issues that there is proof that the weapon isn't drop safe or impact safe or some sort of unknown or intermittent failure is damning.

Remember the remington 700 issues weren't repeatable or testable in the beginning. Remington stated their stuff was safe but tge fact is sometimes the gun fired without the user pulling the trigger and that's what is happening here.

Sear engagement issues are scary. It can work properly 99 times out of a hundred before it doesn't and then it can be fine again till the failure becomes repeatable. I've seen break action shotguns fire when the action closed. Then upon inspection looked OK then a few weeks later did it again then finally the issue became readily apparent upon inspection.

People on both sides if this are absolutely idiots if they dig in on position. Critical thinking requires that you take each instance on its merits then the preponderance of the evidence as a whole.

The drop safe question is beyond refute at this point. It doesn't matter if the reason is a design failure parts failure or springs weak enough that the weight of the trigger is enough to pull itself if it hits the ground the right way. The gun was not drop safe and a gun meant for mitary or police will get knocked around or dropped peroid.

Is there a fix or design change to fix that? So they say. Can you believe or trust it when they quietly try to limit liability instead of being upfront about it?

The issue with actual striker engagement or sear engagement failure is also starting to be beyond refute IMHO.

I absolutely believe sig knows the full truth and cause and if it comes out that they tried to hide this then I hope they go bankrupt over it. I can give them a pass for thinking their design was sound but they gotta know something is wrong at this point.

As for those of us discussing this, people shouldn't take the difference in opinions personal and you really shouldn't discount so many stories with witnesses. You are just as big a fool for taking a manufacturers word that the problem is all caused by the user as you are believing every story you hear on the internet. It's serious cases of confirmation bias on both sides. The truth, as always is somewhere in the middle and in this case that should scare the hell out of anyone who carries one of these weapons.

Last edited:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I'd be willing to bet if you went to the effort of having a forensics lab go through a sig with a fine tooth comb, sig'd hit you with a 1-2 lawsuit/NDA punch so fast you wouldn't believe it

And in all fairness, any other company would probably have the same reaction. I wouldn't be willing to go through that over a 600 dollar pistol

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Yes, it could have. Sig uses a tiny, poorly made spring that is one of two things that keep the firing pin from staying forward.

The other is the sear. Sig has expertly designed a gun with poor sear engagement, and questionable metallurgy.

No, i don't know the witnesses, but I've been in competitions where others have had actual NDs. They (RSO's) don't back the shooter unless the shooter was totally in the clear. Do you know the witnesses?

Do you honestly think walther or HK or SAI is fighting off at least 9 similar lawsuits?

Remember what i said, if all you have is "everybody blames the equipment" then you don't have an argument.
    For you to be correct, the guy in the video would have to be wrong about how his own ND occurred. If what you are saying was correct it would have already fired earlier than when the guy in the video said the ND occurred. Why are we not also hearing about runaway guns? It would also be a heck of a coincidence that this becomes an issue after the last round is fired before holstering the gun each time. If there is an issue, with the guns that’s causing them to fire, it would have to be something else. The ND’s occurring with these guns are not only not all the same, but they are not unlike ND’s that don’t seem out of the ordinary when they involve other guns.

I don’t know how many lawsuits other companies are dealing with because I have no idea how many of them are made public vs. not. But I can find various stories about lawsuits against gun manufacturers. I’d be shocked if any gun companies this big aren’t dealing with several lawsuits at any given time. Kind of like sexual assault accusations against high profile people, once attention gets drawn to it, there won’t be a shortage of people wanting their slice of the pie. Especially if they are worried that having a ND might affect their job. It would be interesting to know exactly how many lawsuits are filed against various manufacturers each year though.

As far as the lab stuff, police departments have easy access to labs if they want to test anything. The spring theory could be tested pretty easily.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    If you understand this, why ask it?

You don't need to have a large knowledge of firearms to know that this; View attachment 359920

Is NOT acceptable. Guns are not all the same. Not every gun gets inspected by the same well motivated and knowledgeable QC guy or gal. Not every spring is the same. Not every barrel blank is the same.

Even a company that does NO quality control will put out a good gun now and again. Sig definitely does some QC, but not enough to ensure the parts that are already on the edge (like the SRS) get rejected

Or it might not be because of the QC. it could be the end result of trying to turn the DAO P250 into the striker fired 320.

Whatever, or whoever it is, we as consumers can only do the best we can, and we should ask for better, instead of turning into fanboys and dismissing stuff out of hand. Be it Sig, Glock, CZ, Beretta...
    I ask because there isn't a NTSB type investigation for all firearm failures. But they can be sent to an independent expert, gunsmith, whatever you want to call them for testing/ inspection. You seem to imply that there is no one willing to test/ inspect these pistols that were involved in these incidents. And no attorney willing to pay for that testing.The most recent pistols, that discharged on their own, should be able to be tested and the results should be repeatable. A big law firm isn't willing to spend 6-7 figures to buy and test fcu's and springs to provide a smoking gun to prove their case against a major firearm manufacturer that could be worth 7-8+ figures? I see commercials everyday that show attorney expenses in the 6-7 figures with awards to plaintiffs in the 7-8 figures. A design so bad and parts of such poor quality but a law firm isn't willing to pay to prove those points to win a major lawsuit Or a group of individuals that say a pistol just goes off on its own when they were negligent. I could be wrong but I think the simpler answer is operator error.

If the design and quality control is so bad I would argue that we should see more of these incidents with the number of pistols in circulation and number of rounds fired. I'm not a fan boy I just like evidence based practice. you tube videos and pictures of broken springs with no control isn't that for me. Could the design lend itself that a light trigger make it easier for a ND to occur? I can see that. But i still believe something actuated the trigger for these incidents in question.

Top Bottom